Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've had the JM Rokker 7.25's and a PBR amp for about a year now. Road tons of miles including OKC to Florida and back.
They haven't exactly "rocked my world" like I had hoped. I'm 6'3" and run a 15" windvest.
I suppose my question is, is it really worth the cost to add 6x9 lids and another amp ? Am I gonna benefit from it or will the wind kill all of the extra money spent. More importantly will my wife be able to hear it better ? Even more important will it get loud enough to drown out the complaining that happens towards the end of a 500 mile day ? :)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
672 Posts
Theyre not really worth it. Ditch the J&Ms in the fairing and go with a better quality front fill whether it be a compnent set of coaxials. There are tons of people running brands other than J&M and for good reason. Just look around and listen to as many systems as you can.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Go out and hear the different speaks if you decide to swap the front. I had $600 set of focals (loved them) and prefer the JMs (love more). All depends on you, not what other people run or tell you.

Lids will help but not much when moving at a clip. Subs fill my system sound out but nothing when moving. I would add speakers in the lowers before lids or the popular 4 in fairing mod done by folks here. Good luck bud.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
About the sickest stereo I've heard is Q-hogs and I don't think he had lid speakers. I think he some goodies 'in' the bags but nuthin' showing :D

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
The lids will definitely benefit your wife more than you. I believe they're worth it, (I have two sets :D). If you looking for more sound in your face, look at lowers and speakers facing the forks.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
9 Posts
Probably a nice upgrade if your only concern is Momma hearing it.. I just installed HAT speakers and an Arc 125.4 amp into my bag lids, so decent stuff, (not 6x9 I know, but a quality speaker regardless) and I don't get much from them. That being said I have tinnitus in one ear lol. Main reason was for my sweetie to hear it better, which she should, as it DID improve over the stock boom stuff..

·
Administrator
12,457 Posts
Invest in some nice low profile ear buds.

I spent around 800+ on my Hawg Wired stereo setup last winter and my 30.00 ear buds kick the @#[email protected]!#@ out of it.

1/2 tempted to rip it all out and recoup some cash.
I'll agree ear buds have great sound, my problem with them is if you have the music at any kind of volume you can't hear anything else around you. .... at least that's the problem I had.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Administrator
2,681 Posts
I'll agree ear buds have great sound, my problem with them is if you have the music at any kind of volume you can't hear anything else around you. .... at least that's the problem I had.

Sent from my SPH-L710
true. I should have noted that I use them on road trips. for local rides I use the stereo (the only reason i have not taken it out and reverted back to stock).

D.

·
Registered
156 Posts
So I've had the JM Rokker 7.25's and a PBR amp for about a year now. Road tons of miles including OKC to Florida and back.
They haven't exactly "rocked my world" like I had hoped. I'm 6'3" and run a 15" windvest.
I suppose my question is, is it really worth the cost to add 6x9 lids and another amp ? Am I gonna benefit from it or will the wind kill all of the extra money spent. More importantly will my wife be able to hear it better ? Even more important will it get loud enough to drown out the complaining that happens towards the end of a 500 mile day ? :)

Throw some Infinity 62.11i up front with the sound stream amp. . . .Problem solved. The thing with lids is they need plenty of power to hear em at speed. Get a set of JBL GTO938 or a pair of Kicker KSC693's and push em with a Soundstream Tarantula Nano TN2.600D with the hog tune lids and you'll be in heaven. Yeah they are worth it!!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I have an Ok system and I used my Sena head set 99% of the time to listen to music. Go figure.

Mmmhmmmm I'd rate it at least :eek:K. I have a J&M headset in my helmet but have been thinkin' of goin' bluetooth. I've got the top of the line J&M and the sound is decent but nuthin to write home aboutt IMO. The mic on the headset, which I rarely use, is a PITA.

Stereo's on bikes going down the road seemed to me to be more to impress the masses then the rider.....course they are nice when you're standin' around the parkin' lot drinkin' beer :D

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
I have the Hawg Wired DX Series 5x7 4 Ohm Component Speakers in my OEM Speaker Lids along with HW's 6Pack and the sound is awesome. I can definitely hear a difference when I disconnect the Speaker Lid Speakers.
As far as riding I don't hear the Speaker Lid Speakers but the 6 Pack up front is KICKA$$! And I don't even have the Volume turned up too high.
I'm very satisfied with Hawg Wired's System as I'm not one to use speaker buds while I'm riding.
Mike U.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Thought about the lid speakers, but decided to go with speakers in the lowers instead. With the HK w/ ICA preamp outs, J&M Rokkers/XTs in the fairing/lowers, 500w Rokker in the fairing, "The Ball & Chain" hears crystal clear music at 90+, it's almost too loud for me (only about 3/4 volume!).
The lids are pimp in the parking lot, but do absolutely nothing at speed, and we didn't want to sacrifice any bag space. To answer your original question, I'm glad that I went with the speakers in the lowers, as the lowers were the last piece of the Aero-Management puzzle for the SERG, nothing but clean air at any speed!!! (with or w/o helmet) and I don't have to run an ugly windshield!!!

That being said, we really enjoy the Cardo Q3 Teamset Bluetooth in the helmets, we won't go on a trip without 'em! (they have a mute button, if you need to cut down on the complaining LOL)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts