Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of lifter problems on the newer model 103"S? I have a hollow knock noise coming from my 2013 RGU. It has a Screaming Eagle Hi Flow intake, Decatted head pipe with CFR slip ons and Andrews 57H cams. The noise didn't show up until after the cams were installed. I also have a Thundermax tuner. I have looked at the plugs and they look good as far as tuning goes. The noise is bothering me and is only audible from 2200 RPM to about 3000 Rpm. Any ideas would be helpful. I was told the 103's have poor quality lifters. Bike has 4000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I would bring it back to the shop that did the install have them check it out.
The stock HD lifters are not so good.
But it sounds like it might not be adjusted right with pushrods.
If you are not sure bring it back asap...
Thanks FD

Has anyone heard of lifter problems on the newer model 103"S? I have a hollow knock noise coming from my 2013 RGU. It has a Screaming Eagle Hi Flow intake, Decatted head pipe with CFR slip ons and Andrews 57H cams. The noise didn't show up until after the cams were installed. I also have a Thundermax tuner. I have looked at the plugs and they look good as far as tuning goes. The noise is bothering me and is only audible from 2200 RPM to about 3000 Rpm. Any ideas would be helpful. I was told the 103's have poor quality lifters. Bike has 4000 miles on it.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
If it has adjustable pushrods I would attempt to readjust them as a first step but don't get your hopes up with the stock lifters. A premium lifter like S&S, Gaterman, Woods will go a long way to solving your tapping.

·
Registered
50 Posts
that hollow knock could be the tapping noise from your throttle body. mines the same way. had a SE heavy breather and switched to roland sands breather. same cams and thundermax. I notice it from about 2300 to 3000. once over 3000 its gone like clockwork. did some reading about it and found that the TBW bikes make this noise because of the pulses the throttle body makes at that rpm. could also be combined with valve noise being amplified through the throttle body. ive had lots of Harleys over the years and I have found that lifter noise is a little different. more of a tick. if its the loud hollow knock sound your hearing I believe its the same as mine. ive chased it down with stethoscope and in pretty sure its coming from the throttle body area, not lifters. that's just my opinion.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
that hollow knock could be the tapping noise from your throttle body. mines the same way. had a SE heavy breather and switched to roland sands breather. same cams and thundermax. I notice it from about 2300 to 3000. once over 3000 its gone like clockwork. did some reading about it and found that the TBW bikes make this noise because of the pulses the throttle body makes at that rpm. could also be combined with valve noise being amplified through the throttle body. ive had lots of Harleys over the years and I have found that lifter noise is a little different. more of a tick. if its the loud hollow knock sound your hearing I believe its the same as mine. ive chased it down with stethoscope and in pretty sure its coming from the throttle body area, not lifters. that's just my opinion.

+1 on that...... it's especially loud if you have a stage 1 intake and the football cover. The sound reflects off the cover and makes it sound like it's coming out of the left side.

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
The TB on these bikes are loud and the heavy breather is like a megaphone going right to the intake valves.
From what I understand the "C" lifters (made in mexico) in the newer bikes are not that reliable and upgrading is desireable. My bike came with the "B" lifters and they are still good but I swapped them out and I put in the SE lifters (made in USA by Jims) in my bike and I haven't had any problems as of yet, I still have my "B" lifters as a back up.
A aftermarket cam will cause a bit more noise coming out of the TB depending on how steep the ramps are on the cam, steeper ramps on the cam will cause the valves to snap shut faster.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Waynemags and PGR that sounds just like what it's doing. I will try another intake.
I don't think another intake will help. mine still does it. as much as I hate to hear"thats normal," it might be nature of the beast with these Twincams. especially with higher lift cams and more valve noise and these throttle bodies. ive actually taken my throttle body apart thinking that bushings are worn and all was good.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I installed 527 cams and get the same noise. I was told the rockers and rocker box have to much side play. 2014 bikes have tighter spec

·
Registered
6,588 Posts
I installed 527 cams and get the same noise. I was told the rockers and rocker box have to much side play. 2014 bikes have tighter spec
Who told you that??
The rocker boxes don't move they are bolted to the heads and the rockers are bolted to the heads as well. The rockers do have a bit of side play but when the pushrods and lifters are installed the rockers will center on the top of the valve stems and they will not move side to side as long as there is pressure on the rockers.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pulled the football cover off and rode the bike to see if the noise changed. You can definitely tell it is coming from the throttle body. Now that I know what the noise is I'm not as concerned with it. I can live with it now I just need to find a different air cleaner cover. Thanks for all the help I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the noise is. At least I know the engine isn't going to come apart.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
2,338 Posts
I pulled the football cover off and rode the bike to see if the noise changed. You can definitely tell it is coming from the throttle body. Now that I know what the noise is I'm not as concerned with it. I can live with it now I just need to find a different air cleaner cover. Thanks for all the help I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what the noise is. At least I know the engine isn't going to come apart.

I don't think you're going to find an intake that is going to eliminate the sound. Mine was doing it with the stock intake. Stage 1 just makes it worse.

My solution...................

Better speakers, and crank up the tunes :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I don't think you're going to find an intake that is going to eliminate the sound. Mine was doing it with the stock intake. Stage 1 just makes it worse.

agreed!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,792 Posts

Harleys make a lot of wierd noises, always have. Thats why I ride a bagger with over sized speakers. :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
could drive yourself crazy chasing twincam noises

·
Registered
47 Posts
Who told you that??
The rocker boxes don't move they are bolted to the heads and the rockers are bolted to the heads as well. The rockers do have a bit of side play but when the pushrods and lifters are installed the rockers will center on the top of the valve stems and they will not move side to side as long as there is pressure on the rockers.
The rockers will move side to side that is why there is a spec for side play.
Valve is on 1 side of rocker pivot and push rod on the other side that is why it will move side to side. Yes the rocker box is bolted down but the shaft and rocker arms will move side to side. Cycle Solution Chris

·
Registered
1,288 Posts

Hollow noise is the throttle body rattling. The 57H is a noisy cam. Sounds a little like a clock-clock-clock sound up until about 2300rpm in 1st and 2nd gears.

Not much you can do about it other than change your air cleaner to a closed type.

edit - Some guys are saying the 2014 take off air cleaner assembly is pretty good at reducing the noise. Alternatively you can switch to a cam with less overlap.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts