Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 RG with 20,500 miles. On start up it is pretty quite , but after a ride (usually a ride of more than 30 min), I believe I hear lifter/pushrod/tapping/rattle noise and it seems pretty loud to me(oil pressure is fine during a ride and at idle). At idle, crack the throttle and you can hear it increase.

So my question, does using better lifters/adjustable push rods help any?

Thanks for any input
L

·
Banned
845 Posts
I wouldnt be to sure if what your hearing isnt anything to worry about. Usually the lifters when they go bad, will bleed down once the bikes shut off so on start up you will get a noisy clanking sound for a few seconds while the lifters pump up again. Something you could try before spending alot of $$ is go to the autoparts store and grab some seafoam spray.... Take the bike on a ride and get it warmed up then pull the air cleaner off. With the AC off, start the bike and give it some throttle.. Idle the bike around 2k-2500 RPM's and spray that seafoam in the throttle body and let it suck it up. About a 1/4 of a can... Or when the bike begins to choke and die shut off the bike and pet it sit for about 15min while that seafoam goes to work. Then take it for a ride and see if you dont get the most quiet ride of your life. This stuff works and along with using better octane/ quality gas station will make that bike run smooth

·
Registered
380 Posts
I wouldnt be to sure if what your hearing isnt anything to worry about. Usually the lifters when they go bad, will bleed down once the bikes shut off so on start up you will get a noisy clanking sound for a few seconds while the lifters pump up again. Something you could try before spending alot of $$ is go to the autoparts store and grab some seafoam spray.... Take the bike on a ride and get it warmed up then pull the air cleaner off. With the AC off, start the bike and give it some throttle.. Idle the bike around 2k-2500 RPM's and spray that seafoam in the throttle body and let it suck it up. About a 1/4 of a can... Or when the bike begins to choke and die shut off the bike and pet it sit for about 15min while that seafoam goes to work. Then take it for a ride and see if you dont get the most quiet ride of your life. This stuff works and along with using better octane/ quality gas station will make that bike run smooth

I'm going to give this a try. I'm hearing a tapping noise I can't chase down as well

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Install a set of the S&S lifters and see if it makes a difference. Gotta buddy that just bought a 2010 Ultra and he swears he has a bad lifter. He hears it more around 2500 rpms while riding. He ordered the premium ones. Think he found them on Amazon for around $220 S&S also makes a cheaper version (list price) 129.95 He should be swapping the lifters out next weekend. I'll let ya know what he finds. FYI he's keeping the stock pushrods in.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
OK, you got me on this suggestion, how does this work for the noise in this case?

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lifter/Tapping/Rattle Noise Reload this Page

Install a set of the S&S lifters and see if it makes a difference. Gotta buddy that just bought a 2010 Ultra and he swears he has a bad lifter. He hears it more around 2500 rpms while riding. He ordered the premium ones. Think he found them on Amazon for around $220 S&S also makes a cheaper version (list price) 129.95 He should be swapping the lifters out next weekend. I'll let ya know what he finds. FYI he's keeping the stock pushrods in.

Thanks for the input, I look forward to seeing how it turns out.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Just talked to him this morning. He's got the lifters and gaskets. He's gonna try and get them changed out Wednesday or Thursday. I'll keep ya posted.

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just talked to him this morning. He's got the lifters and gaskets. He's gonna try and get them changed out Wednesday or Thursday. I'll keep ya posted.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,650 Posts
You are just hearing normal valve train noise!! If the lifters are bleeding off than you will hear a racket when the bike is started after it has sat for awhile.
After the bike warms up the noise is more prominent because the oil thins out some and the engine expands a bit.

·
Banned
845 Posts
OK, you got me on this suggestion, how does this work for the noise in this case?

Because it sounds more like normal chatter.... Doing this lubricates the internals of the engine and cleans out some carbon deposits of the engine. Really helps, check it out

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate all the feedback I have gotten so far.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Well my buddy got his Premium S&S lifters installed. They took care of his issue. No more rattle in the engine. It must have been a bad lifter. The oems are junk. His bike only had 5k miles on it. His first time ever installing lifters on a Harley. They cost him $220 online. List price is around $270. He installed the ones without the limiters because he is running stock push rods. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
We see the scenario quite often here.
S&S lifters are what we reach for here as well.
We carry those on the shelf, for Evo, and T/C applications, in both standard, and the Premium lifter.
BTW the standards are $130.00, and they are just fine for your average garden-variety type build.
High rpm'ers with big lift cams can take advantage of Premium units.
Scott

·
Registered
7,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
All good info to have.

Thanks for the replies

·
Registered
542 Posts
Well my buddy got his Premium S&S lifters installed. They took care of his issue. No more rattle in the engine. It must have been a bad lifter. The oems are junk. His bike only had 5k miles on it. His first time ever installing lifters on a Harley. They cost him $220 online. List price is around $270. He installed the ones without the limiters because he is running stock push rods. Good luck.
My lifter went at 1000 miles. BBP 13 Ultra. I have been waiting for riding season to end. Mine also rattles pretty good at 2800 rpms.
Got the S and S's going in along with some MR103 cams. Hope the rockers are okay.
Glad your buddy got his done and solved the issues.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old thread. Started hearing a rattle around 2500 rpms on my '16 RGU. 1400 miles on it.

Guess I will bring it in and see what the tech says.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
"Guess I will bring it in and see what the tech says."

They all do that. :(
Either that or "put a loud exhaust on the bike". If it starts doing it at idle, I will know there is a problem. Happened on my Voyager, and Kawasaki replaced the Valve Lash Adjusters with a newer design.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
What's the advantage if travel limiters to ones with no travel limiters on the S&S premium lifters? Sorry not trying to hijack this thread.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts