Road Glide banner

Lifter/Tapping/Rattle Noise

12K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  A1Irby 
#1 ·
I have a 2009 RG with 20,500 miles. On start up it is pretty quite , but after a ride (usually a ride of more than 30 min), I believe I hear lifter/pushrod/tapping/rattle noise and it seems pretty loud to me(oil pressure is fine during a ride and at idle). At idle, crack the throttle and you can hear it increase.

So my question, does using better lifters/adjustable push rods help any?

Thanks for any input
L

#2 ·
I wouldnt be to sure if what your hearing isnt anything to worry about. Usually the lifters when they go bad, will bleed down once the bikes shut off so on start up you will get a noisy clanking sound for a few seconds while the lifters pump up again. Something you could try before spending alot of $$ is go to the autoparts store and grab some seafoam spray.... Take the bike on a ride and get it warmed up then pull the air cleaner off. With the AC off, start the bike and give it some throttle.. Idle the bike around 2k-2500 RPM's and spray that seafoam in the throttle body and let it suck it up. About a 1/4 of a can... Or when the bike begins to choke and die shut off the bike and pet it sit for about 15min while that seafoam goes to work. Then take it for a ride and see if you dont get the most quiet ride of your life. This stuff works and along with using better octane/ quality gas station will make that bike run smooth

#4 ·
Install a set of the S&S lifters and see if it makes a difference. Gotta buddy that just bought a 2010 Ultra and he swears he has a bad lifter. He hears it more around 2500 rpms while riding. He ordered the premium ones. Think he found them on Amazon for around $220 S&S also makes a cheaper version (list price) 129.95 He should be swapping the lifters out next weekend. I'll let ya know what he finds. FYI he's keeping the stock pushrods in.

#9 ·
You are just hearing normal valve train noise!! If the lifters are bleeding off than you will hear a racket when the bike is started after it has sat for awhile.
After the bike warms up the noise is more prominent because the oil thins out some and the engine expands a bit.

#12 ·
Well my buddy got his Premium S&S lifters installed. They took care of his issue. No more rattle in the engine. It must have been a bad lifter. The oems are junk. His bike only had 5k miles on it. His first time ever installing lifters on a Harley. They cost him $220 online. List price is around $270. He installed the ones without the limiters because he is running stock push rods. Good luck.

#16 · (Edited)
My lifter went at 1000 miles. BBP 13 Ultra. I have been waiting for riding season to end. Mine also rattles pretty good at 2800 rpms.
Got the S and S's going in along with some MR103 cams. Hope the rockers are okay.
Glad your buddy got his done and solved the issues.

#13 ·
We see the scenario quite often here.
S&S lifters are what we reach for here as well.
We carry those on the shelf, for Evo, and T/C applications, in both standard, and the Premium lifter.
BTW the standards are $130.00, and they are just fine for your average garden-variety type build.
High rpm'ers with big lift cams can take advantage of Premium units.
Scott

#22 ·
Hi all,

My 2015 RGS has the lifters clattering as well (35K). I was on a road trip running 2800-3200 rpm were I always try to keep my rpm. Started at a gas stop with engine at temp, 10 minutes to fuel up. I took it into two dealers because I have the ESP. They both told me "that's normal" I asked them why it didn't sound like that when I bought it with 4300 miles. They don't have an answer for that. 1 dealer had 2 engines apart because a lifter had imploded and took out entire cam case. Seems incredible I might have to fix it myself after paying for an extended warranty. It's winter here but come spring time I'm going to try to run some Seafoam in the crankcase (1.5 ozs per qt of oil) to see if that will quiet it down by cleaning things out. I'll run it a short time then drain oil and change filter. Any thoughts or anyone with some experience w/ Seafoam in the oil?

Thanks....goldie

#19 ·

Either that or "put a loud exhaust on the bike". If it starts doing it at idle, I will know there is a problem. Happened on my Voyager, and Kawasaki replaced the Valve Lash Adjusters with a newer design.

#24 ·
I guess I should tell everyone, 1 dealer claimed it was because I use synthetic oil even though they used the Syn 3 at the 1000 mile service and at 4300 oil change before I bought bike. Well I drained the Spectro out and ran the HD 20w/50 dino. It was slightly quieter but still there. If I go down my driveway at 2000 rpm with no real load they clatter. It's a constant noise, I don't think its a Rocker Locker issue but if I go in thru the top I will 100% install them

#26 ·
This is a clacking sound. If I run the the rpm up (4500 or so) and speed shift you can hear them. When you turn off (hit a brake) cruise control w/ rpm above 4000 you can hear it. It's the lifters, I'm just wondering if they might clean out with the Seaform. I guess its worth trying...

#27 ·
Goldie, I've had about 50/50 success with the Sea-foam flush. I did it three times over a the course of a week putting about 2 hours of run time on it between oil changes trying to flush my old twin cam motor. It quieted down some, but I still ended up replacing lifters (+1 for the S&S). This was on a 50K mile motor. It worked wonders on my Son's 327 chevy motor for lifter noise. The stuff is cheap and it only takes a couple of hours, I would recommend trying it, nothing ventured - nothing gained.

#30 ·
I know this is late but I also have a 15 rgs with less than 4 k on it . Owned it from day 1 new. Did 1k service and switched to synthetic oil. After about 2500 miles for some reason I had an issue with a lifter noise as well. I was able to narrow it down to be the front cylinder exhaust valve lifter. So after researching and speaking with local shops I decided to install s&s lifters and also did the rocker lockers since I would be retaining my stock pushrods. I’m pleased to say after doing so my lifter noise is gone! And I even rechecked doing a cold start on it after I let it sit for a week straight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.