Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had any issues with my lifters, but have heard some have. Is there any advantage to installing adjustable push rods with better lifters?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I have not had any issues with my lifters, but have heard some have. Is there any advantage to installing adjustable push rods with better lifters?

Thanks
The advantage is that you don't have to remove the top end just to change lifters. No advantage as far as performance. In fact many prefer the perfect fit PR's over the adjustable due to weight and no chance of getting out of adjustment in performance engines.

As soon as the warranty is up I am going to S&S premium lifters and maybe quickie pushrods.

I have little faith
No need to get the premiums unless you are using a .600 lift cam or more. Plus I just talked to Smarty a few weeks ago about a set of S&S I had an issue with not pumping up. He told me that he had 2 lifters in 2 different sets of the S&S premiums that were doing the same thing. He spoke with his S&S rep who tried to play it off but could tell they knew of the problem. Evidently they can have manufacturing problems as well. When I change my lifters I am going to go for a set of the fueling or something else this go around.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
All tappets should be checked before installing them. And for what we pay for $25 tappets, they should be checked at the seller.

A tappet test rig is not the thing to be found in most home shops, but your indy should have one. And if you buy tappets from your indy, he should happily test them for free.

And if your indy cant test them, you might want to find another indy.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
A really good reason to upgrade is the better lifters the rollers are hardened steel. not a coating like on the stock ones. That coating wears off, cracks and chips. And in some cases (like mine) completely fubar the cam chest. The cost of the lifters and push rods will be cheap insurance for me when my warranty is up. Will be going with Feuling lifters.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
The advantage is that you don't have to remove the top end just to change lifters. No advantage as far as performance. In fact many prefer the perfect fit PR's over the adjustable due to weight and no chance of getting out of adjustment in performance engines.

No need to get the premiums unless you are using a .600 lift cam or more. Plus I just talked to Smarty a few weeks ago about a set owf S&S I had an issue with not pumping up. He told me that he had 2 lifters in 2 different sets of the S&S premiums that were doing the same thing. He spoke with his S&S rep who tried to play it off but could tell they knew of the problem. Evidently they can have manufacturing problems as well. When I change my lifters I am going to go for a set of the fueling or something else this go around.

Thank for the info Ken, that's kind of a bummer to hear. S&S lifters have always been rock solid. Better to hear now than later.

·
Registered
6,400 Posts
When I installed the Andrews 57H cam in My 2012 Custom I went with Comp Cams V Thunder Lifters and Smith Brothers Adjustable Pushrods and couldn’t be happier.
Mike U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
WOLarry also sells lifters that get great reviews on the tech forum. Like Ken said mass produced almost a given there could be something that sneaks by. Most engine builders seem to recommend S&S lifters. First time I have heard of a failure with any.
Mike, I researched the comp lifters and talked to a respected engine guy on the phomne about them. He uses them but he did tell me about a oiling difference with them. Hole was smaller, or something like that. He said he never had a problem with them. Back in my Camaro days I was a Crower guy and not a comp cams guy, or crane. Old habits die hard I guess. My deal was that I wanted to not 2nd guess any of my choices, I do that a lot with stuff like this.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I've not had an S&S lifter in my hands for a number of years, but I can tell you that in side-by-side comparison, both the Comps and Johnsons that I've
had in my 15 110" RGU are visibly light years ahead of the OEMs quality wise.
(I resorted to just considering lifters to be a consumable part in my 110, just for safety's sake. Changed them at 15,000mi, and again at 25,000).

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I've not had an S&S lifter in my hands for a number of years, but I can tell you that in side-by-side comparison, both the Comps and Johnsons that I've
had in my 15 110" RGU are visibly light years ahead of the OEMs quality wise.
(I resorted to just considering lifters to be a consumable part in my 110, just for safety's sake. Changed them at 15,000mi, and again at 25,000).
I consider anyone's lifters to be somewhat of a consumable. Just not at the frequency as the SE lifters. But I ride hard so anything that I can replace at a certain interval fairly easy I do. I'm not opposed to opening up the cam chest every 30-40k or so to look at how things are wearing. I even measure the oil pump tolerances.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I love forums for info like this and then I hate forums for all this info. I am going to give my 110 some evil shifty eyes now, wondering about the lifters. lol.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Great access for info but then it makes you worry that you have a bomb in the motor ready to go off.
Seriously though, lot of info about the lifters in 110s going out. I believe the valve springs are extremely heavy, might/does contribute to the failure?? Something to that effect. All that info is out there though

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a 2009 FLTRSE3 with a 110 CI that has about 9000 miles on it. My short term plans are CAMS - pretty much set on Bob Woods W7H and either fueling or S&S Cam plate and oil pump along with new lifters & adjustable push rods . That way I'll have peace of mind for many miles to come - Just waiting for a Damn House to sell for Funds. I would have gone with S&S Lifters but now I'll do a little more research and solicit a lot more opinions/reviews

·
Super Moderator
9,600 Posts
S&S is still quality , they still my first choice for most any aftermarket engine stuff ..

If Harley would go back to the Hylift-Johnson lifters .............. They were the OEM lifters until around 2000 or so ... Think Delphi makes the OEM now ..

JtB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts