Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any info on the 2011 103's lifter problem . is harley doing anything about it . i have had it at the dealer 3 times , but it won't clack clack unless the engine stops a certain way . they are aware of the problem and were treating it as a "don't worry" type problem.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I've got some clickin going on but not very often. I just twist the throttle & don't worry about it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
does anyone have any info on the 2011 103's lifter problem . is harley doing anything about it . i have had it at the dealer 3 times , but it won't clack clack unless the engine stops a certain way . they are aware of the problem and were treating it as a "don't worry" type problem.
The comp will make some racket too, could be what you are hearing.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Mine clatters like a bitch every morning at start up, shuts up pretty quick.

One of these days I'm going to cut the pushrods and install adjustables and set em on the tight side... I am not worried that there's any real issue long term. I attribute it to the cheap ass chinese lifters Harley uses nowdays.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Depending on how you want to handle the situation a pay out of your own pocket is going to probably lend you the fastest resolve and one to your liking.

S&S or Gatorman lifters with travel limiters, and adjustable pushrods. this will help quiet the motor as well as help when you are at idel / traffic lights etc.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Ask your service manager to walk out on the sales floor and show you one that clatters on start up. If the new ones don't, your's shouldn't either unless it's got mega miles on it.

I was not aware of an issue specific to '11 103's, never heard of that one. My '11 does not do it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
my 2013 does it...mostly on colder starts.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I was not aware of an issue specific to '11 103's, never heard of that one. My '11 does not do it.
tdkkart yours doesnt' clatter at all right when you start it up on a cold morning? Lately it's been in the 30's when I leave for work. But I've also had it do it in the afternoon when it's been in the 50's.

You're makin me think about droppin in and discussing with the service manager. Not that I really want them to go down that road having them fix something... but it is a new bike with 3k miles.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
tdkkart yours doesnt' clatter at all right when you start it up on a cold morning? Lately it's been in the 30's when I leave for work. But I've also had it do it in the afternoon when it's been in the 50's.
You're getting a 1/2 dozen or so "clack clack clacks" at startup??

I haven't started mine in the 30's, but frequently gets started in the 50's. I started it the other day, hadn't been started in close to a month, no lifter clatter whatsoever. Has not ever yet made any more noise at startup than it does under normal running conditions. Has the normal clickety-clack that all the twin cams have when running hot.
On my 3rd twin cam bike, only ever had the clack clack a couple odd times other than first startups after a cam and lifter change, never on the '11.

What are you using for oil, Syn3 from the dealer I suppose??

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You're getting a 1/2 dozen or so "clack clack clacks" at startup??

I haven't started mine in the 30's, but frequently gets started in the 50's. I started it the other day, hadn't been started in close to a month, no lifter clatter whatsoever. Has not ever yet made any more noise at startup than it does under normal running conditions. Has the normal clickety-clack that all the twin cams have when running hot.
On my 3rd twin cam bike, only ever had the clack clack a couple odd times other than first startups after a cam and lifter change, never on the '11.

What are you using for oil, Syn3 from the dealer I suppose??
Yep, exactly, about 1/2 dozen then it quiets right down. Using Harley 360 oil. It has to sit over night or all day at work to do it.

This 103 is my second twin cam, and the first one never ever did this. Even with built heads and woods tw-6hg cams. That bike wasn't quiet by any means normally but it never had lifter bleed down issues even if it sat for a week or two.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
As much as I hate to consider this... I am gonna take it by the dealer this weekend. It's even clattering at 60 degrees... not as much, but it's still doing it. Didn't do it when new. If it's more than lifters I'll have to think about what I'm gonna do.

·
Registered
432 Posts
took to dealer at 400 miles, they had it for a week and "couldn't duplicate". Have to take it in for 1000 mile soon and will mention it again.

Sent from my SCH-I535

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the dealership has mine now . i told them they could keep it up to 2 wks . we will see how they handle this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the lifters finally leaked down for the rep. a new set is ordered along with an oil pump . hopefully a happy ending.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Will the dealer let you install S&S or Gatorman instead of the HD? If you can get the dollar replacement, it would be a better trade off for you. The new 99c lifters ... they aint the 99b's.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
What will that acieve
I don't think it will help much with the start up clatter unless I run them at zero lash when cold. Running them tighter should help with the noisey top end when hot, which I find to be more annoying.

As a side note I still haven't taken the bike to the dealer like the OP...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts