Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That is the question. I have 50k miles on the stock motor and have had no problems as of yet. I am putting in an Andrews 57H cam soon. So the question is do I change out the stock lifters for aftermarket replacements when I do. I have a set of S&S on standby but am not sure if I want to spend the 100 on them yet.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
That is the question. I have 50k miles on the stock motor and have had no problems as of yet. I am putting in an Andrews 57H cam soon. So the question is do I change out the stock lifters for aftermarket replacements when I do. I have a set of S&S on standby but am not sure if I want to spend the 100 on them yet.

I would say yes no matter what brand you have in there. Not saying that anyone with 50k mi on their lifters should run out and change them but you're already there so why not go ahead and help it last even longer. JMO

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
983 Posts
I agree with RGken. Change em out while you're in there. That new cam might put a beating on the lifters which already have some miles on em.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
6,539 Posts
If you have adjustable pushrods lifters are not that hard of a DIY R&R so it is just a flip of the coin.
If you're already in there it wouldn't be a bad idea to do the swap.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I installed the 57H cams and .030" head gaskets last year and went with the stock lifters and pushrods after talking with Andrew's tech support. Valve train noise was terrible. After 4000 miles I had I could take and installed S&S premium lifters and adjustable push rods, noise gone & problem solved. Spend the extra coin.

·
Registered
317 Posts
here's the deal.. The cams and followers come when new, as a package. As they wear, they wear together, and such the wear matches each part perfectly.
If you change out the cam, it now has a new profile, while the old lifter is worn to the old cam profile. It is a small difference with the mileage your talking about, BUT remember that the cam is coated with a very small hard coating, as are the lifters. Once they wear through that coating, the wear quickly goes through and ruins a lot of things, You should ALWAYS change the lifters with the cam. They should be matched. Anything less, shortens the life of the parts And the motor as a whole.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Lifters in these TC's have become a maintenance item. When replacing lifters that have not failed, it's not necessary to replace cams providing no unusual wear.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Lifter noise

My reply here doesn't address cam and lifter changes specifically, however, since other readers may read this thread looking for info on noisy lifters, I thought I would throw in my own Nitwit discovery. After doing stage 1 upgrades to my 15 RGS including an exhaust change that reuses the stock heat shields 2 months ago, I began to here rattling noises on the right side gear case. Thinking I might be starting to have lifter issues, I tried to verify if it was actually the lifters. Using the shade tree mechanic method, I started the bike cold and got real close with my ear next to the lifters. Purely unintentionally I leaned against the front heat shield which was still cool, Thank God. The noise stopped. Now feeling real stupid I realized I should have re-tightened the heat shield clamps after a few runs at normal operating temperature. Maybe this may keep someone from thinking they have lifter issues and to save unnecessary replies, I'll just call myself "Idiot"

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've submitted a few ID10T forms in my time.

It looks like I'll be saving my money to buy the S&S premium lifters. I'm still undecided on heads. That might be something I save until next time. I really like the look of Franks 1.5 heads and that I don't have to buy pistons to get it done. The list never ends once you start these things. I guess I'll go without heads and let er roll.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Good info here. My 2011 RGC 103 just hit 20k miles with the original everything, and I've been hearing different opinions about when to change out the lifters. Some are saying push it to 40k-50k, while others are saying do it at 30k. If anyone has an opinion on this.....please do tell.

Regardless, I've been advised to do all of the below at the same time.

1.) New S&S lifters
2.) Cam Chain Tensioners
3.) Cam Bearings
4.) Hotter Cams

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Good info here. My 2011 RGC 103 just hit 20k miles with the original everything, and I've been hearing different opinions about when to change out the lifters. Some are saying push it to 40k-50k, while others are saying do it at 30k. If anyone has an opinion on this.....please do tell.

Regardless, I've been advised to do all of the below at the same time.

1.) New S&S lifters
2.) Cam Chain Tensioners
3.) Cam Bearings
4.) Hotter Cams
Good advice. Also, the bodies on the S&S lifters are the same bodies as the S&S Premium lifters. On the premium they do a lighter valve (ceramic I believe is what they told me) that works better on high lift cams. Rollers I believe are exactly the same. $100 difference in price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts