Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IMG_3415.jpg IMG_3393.jpg IMG_3399.jpg IMG_3398.jpg IMG_6302.jpg

Okay, maybe not so little. @Scott7d on this forum posted about riding Iron Butts, which got me motivated to do one (been thinking about for a while) along with riding buddy Kenny (@mjsdouble). So we decided to ride up to Corning California from Glendora California for lunch, and then ride back. Roughly 1,030 miles (a little more for Kenny). Figured Earth Day would be the perfect choice to burn up some dino fuel and maybe wave at John Kerry's jet as we traveled, so off we went. Left at 4:30 am and rode straight up Interstate 5; had lunch and then rode back, getting to our starting spot at a little before 11:00 pm. I gotta say, the Road Glides performed flawlessly; 80'ish for speed for the most part and a little Red Bull to keep these old eyes open. Back rest, highway pegs, cruise control and XM radio; BAM. These bikes are made to cruise!

Don't get me wrong; it was a long-ass day, but the RGs did great. Kenny and I were fine (a few aches and pains, but that's just being old). We had another buddy of mine join us and he was on a Honda ST1300 sport touring bike. I kid you not; after 300 miles he was doing calisthenics (on the bike) and trying to stay comfortable any way he could (he's the same age as me). Stretched at every stop and I could tell he was hurting. And, wait for it, the only mechanical issue we had was with the HONDA (blown headlamp fuse, and what a PIA it was to just get to the fuse box on that thing; see attached pic), not any problems with the Harley scoots. Props to him for joining us AND for finishing, but he was ready to bail near the end. No ride like a Road Glide.

If you haven't done an IB, it's a challenge worth trying. Photo of the fuel-up is at the end, but it looked the same as at the start. LOL.

Thanks for the motivation @Scott7d!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Glad you had a good time and made it back safely! As you have found out, even though you get tired, sore, cold, hungry, or whatever, there is still a rush and sense of accomplishment after you complete the challenge. That kind of riding isn't for everyone and I respect that. 99% of the time I don't like being bound to the circumstances of an Iron Butt. But eeeeeevery once in a while I want to challenge myself and pound it out.

Now you need to do the BunBurner Gold....1500 miles in 24 hours or less!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I was reading they’re requirements. They make you jump through more hoops than the IBA
Doesn’t the IBA make you have someone authentic the start and finish? Plus I think the IBA patches are corny looking.

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Man.....Those Taco's look so good, my mouth is watering.
Glad you and Kenny had a safe fun day!!
Yup; the shrimp tacos were amazing, but so were the carne asada tacos. Not sure I'd roll 500+ miles to try them again. LOL
Doesn’t the IBA make you have someone authentic the start and finish? Plus I think the IBA patches are corny loo
You authenticate it based on photos of where you fuel up and the receipts (time/location is on the receipt) and odo/but they want it verified based on actual travel distance since odometers can be off. And I agree, some of the patches are kinda cheesy, but it wasn't so much about the patch for me, because I don't really wear patches. But I do want them to verify our ride (Kenny and me in particular). The process isn't all that difficult.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
You authenticate it based on photos of where you fuel up and the receipts (time/location is on the receipt) and odo/but they want it verified based on actual travel distance since odometers can be off. And I agree, some of the patches are kinda cheesy, but it wasn't so much about the patch for me, because I don't really wear patches. But I do want them to verify our ride (Kenny and me in particular). The process isn't all that difficult.
Sounds like pretty much the same process to me.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Way to go guys! Even on these “road sofas” that we hold so dear an IB is quite the accomplishment! Kudos!

Sent from the Rockies of Colorado

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
Congrats on the IB! I did one last summer on my 66th birthday. I think I was more tired the last 75 miles before the turnaround than any other time. Couldn’t believe how much eating the lunch perked me up. Wasn’t as hard on me as I expected. Youre right - these bikes handle big miles great.

Reactions: DanHappy and Oclaf

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
First I'd like to thank Scott for bringing up the idea of doing an IB months ago. It's been something I've wanted to do for years. It was a no-brainer when he mentioned doing it this Spring. The bike is fairly new and I'm not getting any younger. I had done some long days in the saddle but only about 750 max. We would've completed the 1K in about 17 hours had it just been the 2 of us. This definetly isn't for everytone as I'd say we were on a mission as opposed to a ride. My Wife asked where I was going on my trip. I told her it's not a trip, it's a ride 500 miles up Interstate 5 and 500 back. She said it didn't sound like fun and that I already seemed miserable just talking about it LOL. Scott did a great job describing the ride. I'll add I didn't expect his friend to show up and was even more surprised he finished. After the 1st 250 miles we were deciding where to get gas after exiting the frwy. They followed me through the parking lot of a car wash where we pissed off the owner for taking a shortcut he didn't approve of. As Scott was taking the verbal spanking I asked Kevin where he wanted to gas up and his response was "I don't give a fuck. I just want to get off this bike." I laughed pulled away thinking this dude isnt going to make it. Lunch was great but a lot of time was spent fixing the Honda lights. Its a good thing I had a what he called "Harley tools" as Kevin was missing an Allen wrench to pull his panels off to get to the fuse box. He also needed help getting the fuses out do to a lack of space provided. What a PIA that simple job turned out to be. The ride also consisted of a car allowing Scott and Kevin to pass on the left before he started taking over my lane as I was closely followed Kevin. He was a quarter of the way in my lane as I sped up to see his bulging eyeballs of fear. Other then that, having to split lanes in Sacramento and a light drizzle that fell at the beginning of the ride while climbling the mountain pass this was a successful mission. BTW the tacos were awesome. I couldn't wait for someone to ask where we were going. It finally happed when we were about to enter the restaurant. A Cowboy complimented our rides and asked where we were coming from. I told him SoCal, we rode 500 miles to get some tacos. He said the tacos were good but where were we going afterwards and of course I told him back to SoCal. Today he says LOL, then he said he once rode a horse a 100 miles.
Thank you Scott once again for a memorable ride !!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts