Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about going with a lithium ion battery on my 2015 RGS. does anyone know if the voltage regulator needs to be upgraded from stock or not? any info would be appreciated. THX

·
Registered
820 Posts
following, been wondering same.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Thinking about going with a lithium ion battery on my 2015 RGS. does anyone know if the voltage regulator needs to be upgraded from stock or not? any info would be appreciated. THX
The correct answer is that they need revised charging rates and dedicated cooling.

The answer that passes out in the world is no, just replace the lead battery and ride on.

I have seen a couple of custom scooters that burned up from them, but being customs, who knows what they were actually wired up like. Both did have the oil bag wrapped around the battery.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
the thought of thermal runaway on a motorcycle scares the bejeezes outta me.

so much unregulated crap coming out of china these days i'll let someone else be the guinea pig...
or bacon lol

·
Registered
341 Posts
I’ve been running with a Lithium battery in my Softail and my wife’s Sportster for a few years. I doubt I would go that route again. Yeah, they are very lightweight. But they do require a special charger that can handle a Lithium battery. The bikes aren’t modified and handle them well. My Softail doesn’t mind the Lithium as much as the Sportster does. They drain down much quicker in off weeks of no use. You simply have to keep a Lithium tender on the bike if you don’t plan on riding for a few weeks. The Softail will kill the battery in two to three months while the Sportster will do it in 6 weeks. The security system uses some power and the lithiums just can’t take that long term draw like a lead-acid can. Other than the storage issue, the bikes don’t care. The motors spin over easy, plenty of cranking speed. Let’s be honest, I can’t feel any weight difference on the bikes either. They are also expensive. More so than a lead-acid or gell-cell.

So for me, I probably won’t do them again. The benefits (weight and charge/recovery time) don’t overcome the drawbacks.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Over on chopped baggers there’s some stories of....well duh, Chopped baggers catching and nearly catching fire. My battery is a bitch to get out. My ecu sits on top of my battery along with my alarm proximity sensor and target tune module. That’s a lot to deal with if you’re trying to get a smoking battery out of your scooter and if you dint that’s a lot of money “up in smoke”. Not worth it to me. I’ll stick with the stocker....or maybe an odyssey or Optima gel cell.....Maybe.

·
Registered
962 Posts
I’ve been using Odessey batteries for many years. Longer lasting (10 years) in one of my bikes and no altering of the bike required. They are designed for vibration prone uses. A few more bucks on purchase but way longer lasting. And I charge them once maybe twice a winter. I never use a trickle charge on them as they require more amperage to actually charge then those 500mA chargers. Even on long periods of no use, they crank right over and start. Very slow to drop voltage over time.

04 Road Glide

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
My '10 Moto Guzzi Cafe Classic came with a Lithium Iron battery. It felt like an empty case it was so light. I didn't want to buy the special charger so the battery died after 3 years. I only see the advantage for race bikes that are saving every ounce. I like sealed AGM batteries just fine.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I run a Ballistic brand Lithium battery in my Hayabusa. It’s small lightweight and has a ton of CCA’s. With that being said I would never run 1 in my Roadglide......

These lithium batteries don’t do well hooked up to a bike that has a parasitic drain like a H-D alarm system. So I could see how a Harley could kill a battery sitting in a garage for an extended period of time. Also with lithium’s once it completely drains those cells go bad and there’s no recharging them properly. I’ve never ran my Hayabusa for 8-10 + hours straight so I don’t know if any problems would arise from that?

When I’m not riding my Hayabusa I remove the battery and store it inside my house. I charge it up occasionally using the special required charger. The battery has lasted me over 6 years but like I mentioned it from limited use. These type of batteries are great for race bikes or cafe/custom builds where you don’t have a lot of room for a battery but not for a touring day to day style heavy Harley. 10lb difference in a 900lb+ Motorcycle won’t amount to much

·
Registered
304 Posts
I have run a Antigravity LI battery on my bike for years. Crazy cranking on my 124 that makes it start like a Honda. Absolutely love it and will always run one. never has an issue, didn't change anything to install.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I have run a Antigravity LI battery on my bike for years. Crazy cranking on my 124 that makes it start like a Honda. Absolutely love it and will always run one. never has an issue, didn't change anything to install.
That is a good point about the Cold Cranking Amps. You can get more CCA than you can in a conventional battery that fits on the bike. I also found that the LI work best when you turn on the ignition and wait a bit before cranking it over. It is like the battery needs to energize some. This might not be a factor on the Harley since it is always drawing on the battery.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I have had a lithium ion battery on my ST1300 (MMG) and my Ducati (Scorpion) for two years.
Would I do it again? Yes. The advantages are that they: put out more cranking amps, weigh less than 1/3 of what an AGM does, are smaller, hold a charge forever, charge in a short time, can be mounted anywhere, and last much longer. Changing the battery on my Ducati is a pain in the ass, and made the lithium battery all the more attractive because of this. Plus, the weight savings on a 398 lb. bike is huge. The ST300 is known to have an inadequate battery size, so I replaced with a lithium, and it made a world of difference in getting it started.

Disadvantages.
The big one - they have 1/3 the capacity, meaning that a constant draw will discharge them in 1/3 the time as an AGM of similar size. Once past a certain level of charge, a lithium battery is ruined.
Cold starting, the battery must be "warmed up" to get enough juice to spin the starter.
They are generally more expensive.

I bought a $25 lithium charger off Amazon, and every two weeks or so swap between the two bikes. Why? Each bike has a clock and an ECU, both of which create a parasitic draw. I do not ride these bikes nearly as much as I used to. My KLR is due for a battery in Nov., and I plan to replace it with a lithium as it has absolutely no parasitic draw.

Your RG has a clock, ECU, and alarm system that will suck the life out of a lithium battery quick, unless you ride it frequently or keep it on a charger. The batteries are relatively easy to change, and a good AGM will last about five years. On a big bike like a RG, the extra weight is not really a big factor like is on my other bikes. Personally, I am going with a Deka/Big Crank when the time comes for a new battery in my RGS.

Reactions: dbell66253

·
Registered
68 Posts
Put the Harley lithium batteries in my RG and the wife’s FLSS. My RG, which has 2 JL Audio amps, battery doesn’t hold charge while sitting very long, but cranks the 120cu over really good. On her 110cu, so far it’s been great. Mine also has the FBI drop seat kit, which the smaller battery size makes a huge difference for all the extra wire fitment for the stereo easy. I like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
I put a lithium iron battery on my 17 rg earlier this year.. little difference in the ion...supposed to not be as sensitive to heat.. so far I like it cranks great got the 675 cca

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Put one in my 2015 Road Glide Special last winter. The bike cranks over way better with my .555 cam and no problems after letting it sit for several weeks. It was a Harley battery, so no upgrades were needed. No problems given the extra amp, speakers, and lights on my bike.

Reactions: geo8866

·
Registered
279 Posts
I was looking at the Li battery yesterday at the dealership and was wondering if it was a good idea for me. Glad I did a search here and found this thread. Someone mentioned Odyssey batteries and that got me excited. I put a double battery kit in my Jeep and used Odyssey batteries. Best batteries I’ve ever used. I had no idea they had one for the Harley. That will be my next battery!

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
My H-D battery went out on my ‘09 RG six months ago. I opted for the new H-D Lithium. It cost more, but I figured I’d try it because of the size and higher CCA ratings.
I had to check the box when I purchased it because I thought the box was empty. I also had to buy a new trickle charger to accommodate the lithium battery. The new Harley charger automatically looked to see what type of battery is being used. It automatically switches between the lithium or the other type. I got home and the battery was so much smaller than the original battery. I found that when cranking over, it turned so much faster. I also noticed that when sitting at a stop light with my radio playing from the speakers, the battery level doesn’t drop, as it did with the original battery. (I do have a 200 watt amp on it.)
After six months I haven’t used the trickle charger. But this winter, I will use the trickle charger.

Reactions: azgrumbles

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
The other cool thing is it can lay in any direction except upside down.
View attachment 415678
I’ve been running that same Odyssey Battery in My ‘12 Glide and absolutely love it. I keep it connected to a CTek Battery Charger and it easily starts up every time and that’s with a lot of Audio Equipment also. I’ve been using Odyssey for a few years and will definitely purchase another when the time comes.
I usually buy them at BatteryMart
Odyssey PC925LMJ Battery with Metal Jacket.
Mike U.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I’ve been running that same Odyssey Battery in My ‘12 Glide and absolutely love it. I keep it connected to a CTek Battery Charger and it easily starts up every time and that’s with a lot of Audio Equipment also. I’ve been using Odyssey for a few years and will definitely purchase another when the time comes.
I usually buy them at BatteryMart
Odyssey PC925LMJ Battery with Metal Jacket.
Mike U.

Thanks Mike. Good to know. So it fits with the metal jacket? I asked the company I got my Jeep batteries from about metal jackets but they said not to worry. I still worry, cuz it’s HOT in southern AZ.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts