Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the quick detachable King Two-Up luggage rack and sissy bar. The best price I have found for the Locking H-D Detachables Latch Kit is $69.00. Has anyone found an alternative to these locks or is this as good as it gets?

Attachments

·
Registered
988 Posts
Products

I got these lil fellas to lock mine on the bike.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
374 Posts
Products

I got these lil fellas to lock mine on the bike.

Lil Chief
I have added these to my list, these will making traveling with my detachable pack more reassuring.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I didn't get the jr's. I got the regular Clamp It Securely's. Sorry, I forgot they have an ebay store. That's where I got mine too.

Lil Chief

·
Registered
988 Posts

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Nice find! I will have to order a set as well. :wink:

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
When you get them, just don't lose the tool they give you so you can remove & install the Clamp Its. It's a tiny little security screw tool that might be difficult to find at a hardware store.

Lil Chief
Actually the security bits are pretty common these days. You can find them at about any hardware store. I have a whole set of different sizes I believe I bought at Sears. If someone was scoping out your ride and wanted the TP (or whichever accessory) they could just go get one of these bits and could take it off in a matter of seconds. This will detour a passer by that just walked up and wanted to take it real fast though. I've even used a zip tie in that spot just to make another step to taking it off. I have the HD locking latch now but I bet if someone wanted my TP they could still figure out how to get it off but at least they would have to work a little harder. That's all any of these things really do anyway.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Thanks for posting this guys.
Looks like I need to invest in a set for my Razor tour pak.
Selma k

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Actually the security bits are pretty common these days. You can find them at about any hardware store. I have a whole set of different sizes I believe I bought at Sears. If someone was scoping out your ride and wanted the TP (or whichever accessory) they could just go get one of these bits and could take it off in a matter of seconds. This will detour a passer by that just walked up and wanted to take it real fast though. I've even used a zip tie in that spot just to make another step to taking it off. I have the HD locking latch now but I bet if someone wanted my TP they could still figure out how to get it off but at least they would have to work a little harder. That's all any of these things really do anyway.
I agree Ken, but the objective is to make them go on to another bike that doesn't have this protection. Anything that makes them have to work a few minutes longer than usual puts them in danger of getting caught. A little blue loctite and it's that much harder.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I agree Ken, but the objective is to make them go on to another bike that doesn't have this protection. Anything that makes them have to work a few minutes longer than usual puts them in danger of getting caught. A little blue loctite and it's that much harder.

I believe this is what I was saying, wasn't it...? :confused: The first part was to just point out that those security torx heads are not hard to find.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
I believe this is what I was saying, wasn't it...? :confused: The first part was to just point out that those security torx heads are not hard to find.
I know man, that was tongue and cheek to you. I guess it came across for real. lol

·
Registered
988 Posts
The theory behind this company using the security screws is that most thieves aren't carrying one of the tools with them. If they want the tour pak, they're gonna get it, regardless. They even state on the website that they're not theft proof, but it'll be an inconvenience for a would be thief. Even if they get the screws out, they're gonna be there for just a bit longer fishing the locking block out from the detachable post.
Bottom line is, they won't stop a thief, but it'll slow em down a bit.
Lil Chief

Reactions: RGKen and Smarty

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
Alternative to H-D Detachables latch kit

I've got the quick detachable King Two-Up luggage rack and sissy bar. The best price I have found for the Locking H-D Detachables Latch Kit is $69.00. Has anyone found an alternative to these locks or is this as good as it gets?

After talking to the parts guy at my local dealer & expressing my reservation about it;( the hd latch kit) not looking secure, he fessed & told me not to "waste my money". I bought two small keyed alike pad locks; drilled holes in the mounting bracket at a spot where they block the release mechanism from turning thus keeping my tour pak from being "snatched", but as we all know if they want it bad enough and have a set of bolt cutters w/ them it's gone anyway but I feel like I've eliminated the guys looking for an easy grab. Can't waste any more energy worrying about it beyond that. I'll post pics as soon as I learn how. Not very tech savvy.

Reactions: roadglidetouring

·
Registered
14 Posts
Absolutely, check out the Brukus website they have little locks with a special wrench, much cheaper and easier to use than the locking attachment from Harley.
djbethany

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Wish I had known about these last year when I bought the Harley "locks". But its done, and don't give it a second thought now. If a thief wants my tourpak bad enough, they will take the whole bike............

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yep, the old I don't have to run faster than the bear, I just have to run faster than you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts