Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing a new derby cover, HD instructions call for blue loctite. I know from past experience derby covers and points covers can be a pain to remove because of corrosion. I am leaning towards using anti seize mostly for derby cover which needs to be removed every oil change. Any thoughts which would be best. Than again why not use stainless screws?

· Registered
809 Posts
Installing a new derby cover, HD instructions call for blue loctite. I know from past experience derby covers and points covers can be a pain to remove because of corrosion. I am leaning towards using anti seize mostly for derby cover which needs to be removed every oil change. Any thoughts which would be best. Than again why not use stainless screws?
I use loctite brand stick thread sealer. It gives some locking ability but won't lock so hard to strip those POS torq heads out.

· Registered
10,585 Posts
It's always better to fight to get it off when you want it to come off , than it come loose when you don't.
Break them loose when the motor is still hot.
PS. switch back to allen head.

· Registered
700 Posts
I investigated this to death once. Forget all the details but went with Diamond Engineering stainless 12 point screws and their recommendation which I remember agree with all research. Their 12 point engine screw kit is high dollar, $300 I think but results look great.

· Premium Member
6,370 Posts
i've always used anti-seize on the derby cover bolts. never had a problem, except for the first time that i changed the oil on my 2002 sportster. that's when i started using never seize :D.....

also, you don't have to torque the bejeezus out of them either. it is not high pressure behind it, so snug is good enough. the torque spec used to be 84 - 107 IN/LBs, don't know if that's changed in the last few years....

· Registered
7,522 Posts
I use Stainless Steel Allen Head Screws and I would suggest that you do the same because it makes the removal and installation of the derby cover much easier. I don't use loctite or anti seize on the derby cover screws and never had any problems.

· Registered
963 Posts
I'm a Lok -tite junkie but when it comes to the derby cover I use anti-seize and torque to factory specs without any issue. No leaks and easy enough to get the screws out every time.

· Registered
809 Posts
Had no idea that they had a stick, I assume it's just less messy?
Yes less messy, and you can scrap the threads across it to control the amount used. Thread sealer is what I use on all the small bolts. When I found this, I was actually looking for some purple Loctite, so I went to a Loctite booth in Daytona and they suggested the tread sealer.

· Registered
2,934 Posts
On a Harley use the appropriate thread sealer red or blue on all bolts except axle nuts. Use anti-sieze on exhaust flange nuts and spark plugs. If done correctly, you won't be sorry and should ride many safe miles with nothing falling off.

· Registered
199 Posts
Torx Screws

I don't use any kind of thread prep and never had a problem with the Torx fasteners. I also just snug them up and don't worry about using a torque wrench on them. Most guys use a T-25 to begin with and screw them up badly. Only things I use a torque wrench are the really critical fasteners like axle nuts, swing arm nuts, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.