Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the differences between the Thresher and Stingray shields from Long Ride Shields?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
There have been a lot of posts about Long Ride Shields. They are also great to talk to. Basically, the thresher has a basic curved shape with a recurve top. The stingray has curves on the side kinda like the windsplitter. Look on their site, but I recall the stingray works better with ape hangers.

I have a 10 inch thresher and a. 16 inch thresher.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Pretty much what he said. I have both in 11" medium tint. Didn't really notice too much difference when riding. I suppose the Thresher has a little larger pocket, but not much. So it comes down to looks and if you have taller apes.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
I have two LRS shields
A 10" Stingray in a dark tint, for summer riding and a 13" Stringray in a medium tint.
Both great shields and I've been very happy with both of them.

I also run 16" Apes and both of them work great with apes.

I was running a 14" Klock Werks Sportsflair but the apes would hit if I turn full left or right. I also couldn't lock the neck up.

You also can't beat their pricing.
A great shield for less $$$.

My sig pic shows my bike with the 13" Stingray.

Swomack

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have two LRS shields
A 10" Stingray in a dark tint, for summer riding and a 13" Stringray in a medium tint.
Both great shields and I've been very happy with both of them.

I also run 16" Apes and both of them work great with apes.

I was running a 14" Klock Werks Sportsflair but the apes would hit if I turn full left or right. I also couldn't lock the neck up.

You also can't beat their pricing.
A great shield for less $$$.

My sig pic shows my bike with the 13" Stingray.

Swomack
Swomack: since you've had both LRS and Klockwerks, which do you prefer? Don't include the apes in your reply...just want to know which helped decrease wind buffeting the most.

I ask because I have a '17 RGS with a standard HD 15" windshield but am looking for something to decrease wind buffeting at highway speeds. BTW I'm 5'10" with 30" inseam but don't have the OEM seat.

Thanks!
Mike

·
Registered
6,527 Posts
With or without apes, got it.

The 14" Klock Werks Sports Flair is a great overall windshield.

It's the best looking IMO and it offers limited very little buffeting at all.

Because of it's shape on the sides, it doesn't offer as good of overall wind protection.

Now the LRS 13" Stingray.

Great overall wind protection with zero wind buffeting.
Also is more forward then the pullback on the Sports Flair.

Both shields allow you to hear your tunes much better as well.

Looks wise Klock Werks has it IMO hands down.
Overall performance and still good looks, the LRS takes it for me.

I don't mind the wind in my face, it's a motorcycle.
But the shields are great and I now prefer them.

I also enjoy my 10" LRS dark tint Stingray.
The wind is just at the top of my half helmet which is fine for me in the spring and summer months.

Price
The Klock Werks is pricey.
The LRS's are a great price and for my money, they have earned my business.

Hope this helps
Swomack

·
Registered
57 Posts
Swomack, how tall are you? I'm 6'5", and I'm interested in this shield. I don't mind a little bit of wind in my face, and also don't want a a huge shield.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
Swomack, how tall are you? I'm 6'5", and I'm interested in this shield. I don't mind a little bit of wind in my face, and also don't want a a huge shield.
You should consider what seat you are running when looking at windscreen height.

My 16" is almost too tall if using my solo tour, just right with the stock seat, and too low when I tried the road zeppelin seat.

Swomack looks to have the low solo on his bike.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I'm 5" 9" with 31" inseam. I have the stock seat and use LRS 11" shields. I see over it most of the time except when cresting steeper hills. I thought that might happen, so I went with medium tint. Can still look through it at night.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I use an HD Tallboy seat with the wife, and ordered a BMC Wall seat for my solo riding. I ordered a 13' Stingray, if the size is off I"ll order another one. I can't believe it was only $85.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I am the same height and just put on a Thresher. I went an inch shorter than the HD stock. Works great. Bought it on sale and it's a great deal compared to the other market choices.
You will not be disappointed it's a good value.
K

Reactions: Swomack

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am going to pull the trigger on a LRS stingray but not sure what to get, 11 or 12. Could you check your height from the vent to top of shield? Ive heard they are a tad tall. Im 5'7' w/28" inseam. 12", 4.5 from top of vent would be good by measurement. Thanks in advance.

RGfever

2017 fltxrs.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I am the same height and just put on a Thresher. I went an inch shorter than the HD stock. Works great. Bought it on sale and it's a great deal compared to the other market choices.
You will not be disappointed it's a good value.
K
Not knowing the year and model of your HD stock. What size did you order?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I am going to pull the trigger on a LRS stingray but not sure what to get, 11 or 12. Could you check your height from the vent to top of shield? Ive heard they are a tad tall. Im 5'7' w/28" inseam. 12", 4.5 from top of vent would be good by measurement. Thanks in advance.

RGfever

2017 fltxrs.
Just bought an LRS for my 2011. They are great to work with and will help you choose. Also, they make shipping it back pretty easy for an exchange.

·
Registered
6,527 Posts

RGfever

2017 fltxrs.
I have a 10" and a 13" Stringray and both are great.
I'm 5'-11" and even the 10" shield throws the wind up
and over so if your 5'-7" a 10" or taller you can't go wrong.

Swomack

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

RGfever

2017 fltxrs.
I'm 5' 9" and went with the 11" shields. There are time where I look through it, especially when cresting a hill. Other than that, I see just over it except for those occasions. Glad I went with medium tint just for that reason, so at night I can still see. The recurve at the top does distort some, but you do get used to it, and it's only for that moment when you end up having to look through the shie

They do have a good return policy and can return it for another size.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Not knowing the year and model of your HD stock. What size did you order?

I ordered the 12 inch Thresher for a 2016 RGU.
I also have a Mustang seat that put me up higher about an inch.
There is enough swag in your riding posture so it doesn't need to be 100 % precise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I ordered the 12 inch Thresher for a 2016 RGU.
I also have a Mustang seat that put me up higher about an inch.
There is enough swag in your riding posture so it doesn't need to be 100 % precise.

Thank you. So a stock ultra is about 13 inch by LRS measure. That's good to hear as I ordered a 13 inch LRS and was hoping for ultra hight or a little lower. For a 15 RGS.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Thank you. So a stock ultra is about 13 inch by LRS measure. That's good to hear as I ordered a 13 inch LRS and was hoping for ultra hight or a little lower. For a 15 RGS.

You will likely be very satisfied. Please let me know how it works out for you.
K

1 - 20 of 32 Posts