Road Glide banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm making my first long distance road trip on my 15 RGS in about a month. From DE to TN and back. Do you have any recommendations for accessories for my long distance ride?

Thanx in advance.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I would say a more comfortable seat and a detachable sissy for an additional bag (room is never enough...)
In case you have some buffeting, a larger windshield could help (like the sport flare 14”)

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Two tips: 1) Cigars. Always bring cigars. 2) pack your rain gear loosley and put it in your right side bag for easy access. Do NOT pack it compressed all the way, and with the bag filled to the hilt because you will never get the rain gear back in the bag, becuase you simply will not want to, nor be able to pack it as tightly as you originially did.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Are you asking just about accessories for the bike?

What do you currently have? What roads are you going to ride? What places are you going to stay at?

For the bike:
A waterproof bike cover.
An audible alarm
A tire repair kit
Small tool kit
Microfiber clothes.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Are you asking just about accessories for the bike?

What do you currently have? What roads are you going to ride? What places are you going to stay at?

For the bike:
A waterproof bike cover.
An audible alarm
A tire repair kit
Small tool kit
Microfiber clothes.
^ Yep.

I dont bother with the cover though. I tent camp on my trips so I need the space.

Doing hotels? Or Camping? Camping is the way to do it IMO. A lot cheaper and you sleep next to your bike. I spend about 30 bucks a night in KOA campgrounds and have a shower, a shitter and a swimming pool if I want.

Sunblock
Camelback (hydration back pack) mine is 70oz.
Beef Jerky or protein bars
Charger for your stuff.
Flashlight (new and extra batteries)
Airhawk R
Extra socks. If your feet get wet. You just used an extra days pair.
I have a 1 gallon gas can fits in saddle bag. (Made for it)

I take a lot more. But if you're not camping. Its irrelevant.

Reactions: madmat

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hiker’s headlamp (instead of holding a flashlight)
Tire repair kit (practice using before you need it)
Tool roll
If you pack rain gear you will never use it
If you don’t pack rain gear you will need it within the first 100 miles
The rain cover for the bike also doubles as a quick shelter if you get caught in a storm
Pen and small notebook (helps when your memory is like mine)
Extra time....I did a trip to Louisiana from California. I could have used another week or two.
Microfiber towels

I found that about the time I needed gas I also needed to get off the bike. I never carry extra fuel because I don’t want everything in the saddlebag smelling of gas.

Good luck and enjoy! If I had the time I would do it again next week.

·
Registered
172 Posts
^ Yep.

I dont bother with the cover though. I tent camp on my trips so I need the space.

Doing hotels? Or Camping? Camping is the way to do it IMO. A lot cheaper and you sleep next to your bike. I spend about 30 bucks a night in KOA campgrounds and have a shower, a shitter and a swimming pool if I want.

Sunblock
Charger for your stuff.
Airhawk R
+1 on that gallon petrol can II also have the shaped on that just fits nicely in the saddlebag.

If you don't take it - you'll need it but if you do take it you wont!!

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
^ Yep.

Sunblock
Charger for your stuff.
Airhawk R
+1 on that gallon petrol can II also have the shaped on that just fits nicely in the saddlebag.

If you don't take it - you'll need it but if you do take it you wont!!
For his ride, extra fuel not needed. Out west you definitely can run into that situation if you are not paying attention. It is not uncommon to have 100 miles between fuel stops and I have seen 200 miles between fuel stops. Not an issue for the Road Glide if you don't blow past that last gas station.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts