Road Glide banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a technical question so some advice from the guys who know their shit would be greatly appreciated. (Are you ready RGKen, Thermodyne, and the many other knowledgeable people on this site?)

I looked at a map the other day and realized that there are only 5 states in the lower 48 that I have never been to. (ND,SD, MN, IA, and NE.) So in two weeks, that's where I'm riding off to. I was experiencing the transmission fluid transfer issue but it hasn't happened in about 2,000 miles. Normally on a long trip, I carry a quart of Mobil 1 20/50 just-in-case I'm in the middle of nowhere and need to add some oil. I have never needed to add transmission fluid on any bike I have ever owned so that was never a concern.

I currently have 75/140 gear oil in the transmission. My question is this: If I discover I need to add transmission fluid because I am transferring again, can I add 20/50 to the gear oil without it causing any damage or issues? Or should I just switch to 20/50 in all three holes prior to going on this trip? When I get home, I will be changing all fluids so the mixture of 20/50 and 75/140 would only be temporary. The trip is 3,000 miles total.

Thanks,

George

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
I wouldn't want to mix the two disimular oils for the first time, out on the road. It prolly would be fine, but there is a light chance they might not get along well.

I think I would just buy the gear lube local if I found that I needed some while on a trip.

The bigger issue for me would be the fluid accumulating in the primary. I suspect that 75-140 is not going to play well with the clutch. And with the plates literally submerged in it, cold drag and hard shifting could be an issue.

My advice for scooter that transfer has always been to run the same oil in the trans as in the primary.

·
Registered
3,966 Posts
I second what Therm said and carry a qt of that along with a qt of whatever 20w/50 you use in the engine. If you didn't carry it you could find something along the way that will work to get you where you need to be but t's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I knew you guys would have suggestions.

I think I'll switch out the primary and tranny fluids with the Harley 80/140, which they say is safe for the primary. At least they'll be the same if the issue starts again. (And I'll carry a quart of motor oil and gear oil for the ride.)

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
I was thinking along the same lines, only instead of the big bucks that they want for the 85/140, I would go with formula + in the tranny and the primary. works perfectly fine, not as expensive, and if there is any transfer, it won't have any negative effect on the clutch plates.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I wouldn't want to mix the two disimular oils for the first time, out on the road. It prolly would be fine, but there is a light chance they might not get along well.

I think I would just buy the gear lube local if I found that I needed some while on a trip.

The bigger issue for me would be the fluid accumulating in the primary. I suspect that 75-140 is not going to play well with the clutch. And with the plates literally submerged in it, cold drag and hard shifting could be an issue.

My advice for scooter that transfer has always been to run the same oil in the trans as in the primary.
As always respect your view and knowledge. Many of use are now running 80W140 in the primary. I had my doubts but it is working.
What about this if he is concerned change bot primary and trans before he leaves . Use HD 80W140 and if it mixes up so what. My primary had 20/50 Mobile 1 in it when I switched. we know full well there was plenty of 20/50 left in the primary when the 80W140 was added. about 4,000 miles now with 80W140 in primary Clutch has gotten smoother.

The F+ idea above would also work.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I usually just pour it in right from the container. I like that sizzling sound it makes when cold oil drips down the side of a 250 degree engine. Reminds me of steaks on a BBQ.

·
Registered
3,660 Posts
I usually just pour it in right from the container. I like that sizzling sound it makes when cold oil drips down the side of a 250 degree engine. Reminds me of steaks on a BBQ.

Back when I knew smokers those cigarette packs served many purposes. A little foil around a blown glass fuse. A hole in the corner and it made a nice funnel. Many uses indeed.

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
As always respect your view and knowledge. Many of use are now running 80W140 in the primary. I had my doubts but it is working.
What about this if he is concerned change bot primary and trans before he leaves . Use HD 80W140 and if it mixes up so what. My primary had 20/50 Mobile 1 in it when I switched. we know full well there was plenty of 20/50 left in the primary when the 80W140 was added. about 4,000 miles now with 80W140 in primary Clutch has gotten smoother.

The F+ idea above would also work.
I think they will all mix just fine. But I don't know for sure, so I wouldn't want to find out that they didn't 200 miles into a 1500 mile run.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
You may want to consider carrying a pint rather than a quart. A little easier to pack.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts