Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does HD offer a LONGER kickstand or a way to eliminate thr back and forward roll when u put it down? I've only have had my 08 custom a month as im used to my 03 roadstar and still trying to get used to it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Infuse using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
the length of the kickstand has nothing to do with the play or roll you are experiencing

·
Registered
510 Posts
All of mine do it...always have, always will. It's how they are designed. You'll get used to it after several small heart attacks.....

·
Administrator
10,475 Posts
the stand locks when it rolls forward , so provided you kick it fully out , it will roll a bit and stop

JtB

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
actually, if the stand were longer, you would experience more roll than you do now. look at how it works, you'll learn to trust it.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Didn't Harley used to refer to that locking kickstand design as a jiffy stand?

I don't see it being referred by that name anymore, but I haven't noticed a change in design. It still gives me heart murmurs sometimes but it works good as long as you make sure to extend it fully.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Have a close look at the top of that stand when it is deployed. Any movement is restricted by the way the stand sits between some rather substantial mechanical stops. I have had trouble with mine when I am parked on a gentle slope but now that I understand what is going on it no longer bothers me at all. Anything that solidly restrained will work out just great.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Anybody ever taken their's apart? There must be some slot and key that orients that top piece and keeps it from rotating, like on a motor shaft, no? I don't trust that the only thing keeping that piece on top from rotating is tension from the bolt. For whatever reason, I feel much more confident with it when the front tire is higher than the back, instead of vice versa. I always keep it in gear if that is the case. It sure doesn't inspire 850 pounds of confidence...

Mylo

·
Registered
293 Posts
Have a hard look at it next time you are parked Mylo. The restraining metal stops are easy to see and are very strong looking. It would take one heck of an effort to overcome them at all. I would trust mine to hold on a very steep 10 degree angle.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Anybody ever taken their's apart? There must be some slot and key that orients that top piece and keeps it from rotating, like on a motor shaft, no? I don't trust that the only thing keeping that piece on top from rotating is tension from the bolt. For whatever reason, I feel much more confident with it when the front tire is higher than the back, instead of vice versa. I always keep it in gear if that is the case. It sure doesn't inspire 850 pounds of confidence...

The upper end of the stand is machined square, the locking tab has a square hole in it so it can't turn. Once the tab is engaged in the bracket the stand is not going anywhere.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts

Mylo
the top of the jiffy stand where the bolt screws in is square. it goes into a matching square hole on the locking tab. it aint going nowhere.

oops, beat to the punch :D

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ok, well that eases my mind a little. You can't see the machining unless you undo the bolt, which i have never done. I think I will still keep it in gear when inclined, for a little piece of mind. I have picked this bike up once already. It's a LOT heavier than my Deuce was.

Mylo

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
In gear is always a good option, especially now that the bikes have a clutch safety switch.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Back to the original question__ Does HD offer a LONGER kickstand or a way to eliminate the back and forward roll when u put it down?__ I was looking through Dennis Kirk and they have a Performance Machine Part#50-8805 1" extended kickstand for 07-12 for $65.99. Has any one tried one of these to at least get the lean angle more upright? My 07 with stock suspension just seams to lean a bit much for me over my old 99 roadie. I stop the forward movement by parking the bike in gear, push forward, and giving the stand a shove with my boot till it's stable. PITA but piece of mind.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks everyone for all the input

Sent from my SAMSUNG-Infuse using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
155 Posts
Lower the bike and you won't need longer jiffystand.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts