Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at the co mc expo yesterday, listened to a SG that had this setup. Sounded awesome!! Arc amp and 6.5 focals. Thoughts vs jm and hw

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I wrote a long reply, and it wouldn't take. :( Long story short, good set up.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have the alpine cd149bt head unit,soundstream amp 4.5 and focal 6.5s,i have tried different sources of music,the radio,usb etc and the speakers sound like crap over half volume,very distorted,gain on amp to lowest setting,bass and treble setting messed with as well,they don't sound good,sidecar customs suggests ditching the focals and putting in the hawgwired so im going that route this week,good thing theres still snow on the ground,anyways we each have our own opinion but I will never own focal again,hope this helps

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Jay, I don't know why you're having problems with the Focals, I've had the CA's, PC's, and KR's, no issues. But (shut up Q) I'd put the Infinity Kappas up against all but the KR's. I would also put the Kappa up against the Hawgwired. For the price I haven't seen anything better, IMO.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
290 Posts
im not sure either,i don't have my hogtunes speakers to try it out on as I sold them,ive tried left right front back neg and pos are correct,my buddy just bought a set of hawgwireds the ones with the external cross over and there supposed to take all day pounding for a very long time,hoping to sneak his speakers into my truck tonight after superbowl party to try them out

·
Registered
11 Posts
having problems currently with focal arc audio setup

I am on the second set of focal isc 165 speakers now and have replaced the amp once. hoping the next set they send me will fix it for good. Think focals are very wet weather sensitive

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I had Sound Customz install the Focal 165 speakers and ARC 125.2 amp at Laughlin river run 2 years ago. Using stock HD head unit the system sounds great. I'm sure it would be even better with after market HU but will wait for stock HU to fail before changing.

·
Registered
290 Posts
okay I got myself a set of brand new hawgwired xg I think there called,the ones with the external crossover,put one on left side and left focal on right,cranked up some eagles and then acdc,both songs hawg took more bass,sounded clearer and I could set the gain higher to that speaker then I could to the focal in the other side,im sold hawgwired!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Focal 6.5's...my story

Soundz installed 6.5 FOCALS in my 2013 RGC and an Arc amp at Myrtle in May.
Smoked 3 sets in 30 days which they warranted at no charge and sent asap. They would cook after 2 hours or so of constant use. I never touched their amp settings. After the 3rd set I said I'm not accepting anymore Focals, and I wanted a different brand. They said they were getting some ARC 6.5's for me but it would take a week. I bought some cheap kickers locally and tried to blow them to no avail. they didn't sound great but they lasted . The ARC speakers are awesome and no trouble yet. I still have not touched any amp settings. I will never recommend Focals to anyone. Soundz took care of me and will always have my business.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
^^^^ +1 I'd like to know also.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
672 Posts
I have the alpine cd149bt head unit,soundstream amp 4.5 and focal 6.5s,i have tried different sources of music,the radio,usb etc and the speakers sound like crap over half volume,very distorted,gain on amp to lowest setting,bass and treble setting messed with as well,they don't sound good,sidecar customs suggests ditching the focals and putting in the hawgwired so im going that route this week,good thing theres still snow on the ground,anyways we each have our own opinion but I will never own focal again,hope this helps
Having your amp set low may be your issue. Underpowering a speaker will heat up its voice coil and weld it together causing the speaker not to work.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Man!! Having soundz doing this focal level IV set up on mine in Daytona. Now you have me thinking. Smoked 3 sets of speakers in 30 days!!! That's ridiculous. I was looking forward to having this done but now a little nervous

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
290 Posts
this is using the focal ca1 6.5 speaker
venom vtwin audio suggests setting volume at 3/4 volume and then increase gain until distortion starts,slightly back off a touch and go rocking,having gain set 50% or greater I don't think its this.in my explanation earlier I was saying even at the lowest gain setting it didn't make any difference in the poor quality sound imho

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
Man!! Having soundz doing this focal level IV set up on mine in Daytona. Now you have me thinking. Smoked 3 sets of speakers in 30 days!!! That's ridiculous. I was looking forward to having this done but now a little nervous

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
If your going with stage IV I doubt very seriously if you'll have any problems, that's the top of the line KR series, I've been using them over a year now, they are way better than the others, if you blow set with that amp, please post.

Sent from my SPH-L710

1 - 19 of 19 Posts