Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding FLHTC's for 18 years, from 1986 - 2004 I left HD for other brands for the usual mechanical & dealer gripes...

I was very attracted to the new 09+ newer frame and other mods attended to in recent years like adding ABS, additional engine mount and bigger gas tanks etc but upon close inspection recently I have my doubts about some issues not resolved so I am bringing my questions here to see if there is any real problems with these concerns ?

Why is the oil filter still on the front of the engine to pour hot oil all over the electricals when doing an oil filter change ?
I know there is a work around but it makes no sense to me. . I remember when it was up underneath out of the way and caused no problems.

For a $25 K bike, the FLTRU to have such a flimsy left side
plastic fairing pocket cover spring latch that does not lock is just plain cheap in my opinion.

Rear cylinder still runs too hot and that plastic thigh protection
panel looks ridiculous. I know about the roll back to turn off the rear jug in hot weather idling.

No coil shocks in place.. still using air shocks.

Every one of my dressers cracked the exhaust on the right side? Do they still do that?

Are there still ignition/starter problems ?
How about the cam chain issues ?

I will have to take a new one for a ride to see if it talks to me but I wanted to see what current owners say?

Thanks for any input...

·
Registered
453 Posts
Agree with you about the oil filter.Not sure what your talking about with the left fairing plastic spring. Have not heard of any recent exhaust issues. Rear cylinder is a little warm, but not unbearable. Starts eveytime without incident so far. Not sure why anyone would want coil suspension. Hope this helps

H

·
0 Posts
All newer Bikes have a no Y Pipe ..more like a 2 in 1 or on the 2010s a true dual system... from 07 up the tensioners are Hyd and very dependable

·
Registered
425 Posts
Yep, what they said. I ditched the tensioners in both my 2000 and 2004 with gear drive cams. The new Hydrolic tensioners have had no issues. The oil filter is a pain still. Ride on, hope you get back in the saddle of an HD soon.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
Maybe you should talk to the MOCO about what's wrong. I'm sure they would like to hear from you. Whatever you do, don't but one. Stick with the "OTHER BRANDS"!!!!
That's MY Freakin INPUT

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
I wanted to see what current owners say?...
......... buy one, ride it a lot, and just try to not smile.
..... but remember, it's a 'Secret Society', so after you get control of yer face back, don't tell anyone how great your bike is !

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
......... buy one, ride it a lot, and just try to not smile.
..... but remember, it's a 'Secret Society', so after you get control of yer face back, don't tell anyone how great your bike is !
you know, being a tough guy and all, it was about all I could do not to start beaming like a 13 year old with a new baseball mit, the first time I got to ride my new bike this summer...

·
Registered
230 Posts
Crap! My '10 RGC being my first Harley (8 other bikes in the last 6 years alone), I had no idea these things had so many issues! And to think, up until now, I believed that this was, by a wide margin, the nicest most satisfying bike I've ever owned, in addition to being the most beautiful bike I'd ever seen. I'm probably really unhappy , but I just don't know it yet. :D

Seriously, it starts every time, runs great, handles way better than I expected, and I absolutely enjoy the livin' s#*t out of it, more every time I ride it. I wish I'd done this years ago, but at the same time I'm glad I waited for the new frame. One of the previous bikes was a metric cruiser...not even on the same planet as this one.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'll preface this by saying I absolutely love my 'glide, and have no desire to ride anything else. That said, I do think there are some things I would change, if I were king of the world, and fail to see why it's a big deal to say so. Nothing is perfect, and there's always room for improvement, even a Road Glide!:)

My main beef is the suspension. I'd love to see quality coil/gas dampened easily adjustable rear shocks, and cartridge front forks, preferably upside down. Maybe a touch less trail. Last but not least, get rid of the rubber mounts, and put the "B" motor in the baggers.

No matter.....it's still the best bike I've ever ridden!

Jeff

·
Registered
830 Posts
I'll preface this by saying I absolutely love my 'glide, and have no desire to ride anything else. That said, I do think there are some things I would change, if I were king of the world, and fail to see why it's a big deal to say so. Nothing is perfect, and there's always room for improvement, even a Road Glide!:)

My main beef is the suspension. I'd love to see quality coil/gas dampened easily adjustable rear shocks, and cartridge front forks, preferably upside down. Maybe a touch less trail. Last but not least, get rid of the rubber mounts, and put the "B" motor in the baggers.

No matter.....it's still the best bike I've ever ridden!

Jeff
Just traded in my '09 Heritage for my RGU. The "B" motor was great around town, but not so great at speed. At seventy the mirrors buzzed so hard I could not see anything in them and after an hour or so my hands fell asleep.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Ive ridden well over 100K on Harley touring platform. A 2001 and a 2008. My experience:
Why is the oil filter still on the front of the engine to pour hot oil all over the electricals when doing an oil filter change ?
Yes, it makes a mess and could stand some improvement

For a $25 K bike, the FLTRU to have such a flimsy left side plastic fairing pocket cover spring latch that does not lock is just plain cheap in my opinion.
Works fine for me, no issues.

Rear cylinder still runs too hot and that plastic thigh protection panel looks ridiculous. I know about the roll back to turn off the rear jug in hot weather idling.
From the motorco, these bikes can be scorchers. Fuel map and exhaust brings it to bareable.

No coil shocks in place.. still using air shocks.
Its a touring bike, what more do you need?

Every one of my dressers cracked the exhaust on the right side? Do they still do that?
Exhaust has been changed on the new platform. No cross over at rear cylinder.

Are there still ignition/starter problems ?
How about the cam chain issues ?
Dont know about these, but there has been revision done to the cam set up.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The oil filter stymies me too. The rest of your questions, I think the tensioners are non issue now. The rear jug heat can be fixed with Xied o2 upgrade. I had no mechanical issues at all with 40k miles on my 08 when I opted for the new framed 11. BTW, love the new frame.
I think if you test ride the bike, you will overlook what you consider shortcomings.

W

·
0 Posts
Sure glad my wife didn't check out all my short comings before we got together. The only thing better than my Harley's is her because she encourages me to be happy!!!!!!!!!! And my HD's including the FLTRU make me happy.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
SemperVee, my advice would be to go ride one and see what you think. Although we may have opinions, we don't design or build them, and I doubt you will find anyone diappointed with their RoadGlides on this site. They are a great ride, and very dependable IMO.

Rowdy

·
Registered
122 Posts
The oil filter is a tip of the hat to the "old school" HD guys - if it didn't leave a little oil on the garage floor, something was seriously wrong!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the owner opinions on the Shark. I have long admired the RG since they were called TourGlides and then discontinued back in the day.. After having 8 FL's I almost had a new blue FLT in 04 until the Stealer insisted overcharging for setup & having to do a sit down with the "Chrome Consultant" before heading into F&I that screwed the deal...They wrote me a nice fat check for my used Ultra even though I walked without buying theirs. Will schedule a ride soon.. I have lots of room in my Garage to park it along side my 2 other MC's !

·
Registered
348 Posts
SemperVee, just curious as to what other bikes you switched to. I'm going to an RGU from a Yamaha Royal Star Venture. Being 5' 8" the Venture was just too big and top heavy. The RGU fits me perfectly.

·
Registered
479 Posts
The dealer sells a little doo-dad to put under the filter to catch the oil.
Yes, it's not perfect from the factory, but like everyone says the price of the bike is just the downpayment on the mods.
I think once you ride one you will likey!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts