Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been considering getting into another Dyna. I really like the 2003 model. I’ve seen a couple on line and they’re mostly overpriced. I missed one last week that was down in LA. It was priced right at $5,500. I usually don’t get bummed out over bikes, but that one hurt.

If anyone has one they’re considering selling I would be very interested in taking it off your hands.

If anyone sees one for sale that’s priced fair, please let a brutha know!

Thanks guys.

Reactions: rlaf75

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
Amazing how prices have gone up on used dynas, took me a while to find mine had to drive about 250 miles to get it and come back from Upstate, hot item now , not to mention the aftermarket support is incredible, good luck Big guy.

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Amazing how prices have gone up on used dynas,
Hell Yeah Man - Tween the NorCal Dyna craze that then hit SOA that then moved south to SoCal that then began its way east ......and with many Stunt Crews using them ....HD's version of the Sport Bike is hot again.....

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
I think my buddy is going to be selling his anniversary super glide very soon. I believe it's an 08 but I'm not sure

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Amazing how prices have gone up on used dynas, took me a while to find mine had to drive about 250 miles to get it and come back from Upstate, hot item now , not to mention the aftermarket support is incredible, good luck Big guy.
Thanks. I regret selling my 1993 Dyna. I was too young to know what I had. The old FXRs are going for a premium.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think my buddy is going to be selling his anniversary super glide very soon. I believe it's an 08 but I'm not sure
If it’s an anniversary model it’ll be an 03 I’m pretty sure.

There’s one in PHX that it set up nearly how I would do it. I’m debating on whether or not to make an offer.

I just love that black/silver combo.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hell Yeah Man - Tween the NorCal Dyna craze that then hit SOA that then moved south to SoCal that then began its way east ......and with many Stunt Crews using them ....HD's version of the Sport Bike is hot again.....
It’s funny to have watched that play out. Most of the stunt guys start on Dyna’s and then when they get really good, the go with a bagger to do the same. I good buddy of mine here in Vegas followed that same path. Now all the kids are hoarding ‘02 Road Glides to turn into stunt bikes. Definitely purpose built machines.

·
Registered
7,184 Posts
Now all the kids are hoarding ‘02 Road Glides to turn into stunt bikes. Definitely purpose built machines.
Funny you say that....saw (2) at the Shop when I picked up my bike on Sat - Chain Drive...T-Bars.....2:1 Shorty Exhaust and full Ohlins Susp that actually raised the bike up a bit - Not my particular brand of Vodka but what those cats do on them is just crazy

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I had a hard time finding a vivid black bike that was stock, had 8k on it which was good but I drove 500 miles round trip, then I made it the way I wanted it, that's the fun part , blank canvas.

·
Premium Member
2018 Road Glide Special-Wicked Red
802 Posts
Kept my '03 wide glide when the dealer gave me a joke of trade in number. I'm in sure you'll find something, soft market for now.

Reactions: Bigmeat45

·
Registered
8,053 Posts
If it’s an anniversary model it’ll be an 03 I’m pretty sure.

There’s one in PHX that it set up nearly how I would do it. I’m debating on whether or not to make an offer.

I just love that black/silver combo.
Maybe it isnt an anniversary but it is definitely an 08.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Funny you say that....saw (2) at the Shop when I picked up my bike on Sat - Chain Drive...T-Bars.....2:1 Shorty Exhaust and full Ohlins Susp that actually raised the bike up a bit - Not my particular brand of Vodka but what those cats do on them is just crazy
Definitely crazy.

I don’t have the desire to wheelie a bagger. MAYBE a Dyna at some point. It takes a lot of commitment to get it to the balance point and hold it there. These crazy kids are scraping the rear AND doing it holding on with one hand. I can’t do that on my Mx.

I used to get my 14 Dyna up to about 10 o’clock but it honestly scared me to do it. But that’s the fun of it. I used to tell my skydiving students, “if you’re not scaring yourself, you’re not scaring the crowd.

But even that is an expensive fix when you dump it. Because you WILL dump it at some point.

Reactions: Oclaf

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
No wheelies for me too old for that shit lol and too expensive when I dump my ride lol, just like it hard and have fun on the twistes, two more weeks and I will be rolling, can't wait.

·
Registered
291 Posts
15 years ago 5th gear stand-up cruising down a logging road on my yz450 missed the brake went over. Whatched my bike cart wheel into the woods. Little damage and a long ride home. Thought I fractured my pelvis. Couldn't walk right for months. Now I only lift it up when I have too. Funny, all I could think of when going over was scratching my new lid.

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Definitely crazy.

I don’t have the desire to wheelie a bagger. MAYBE a Dyna at some point. It takes a lot of commitment to get it to the balance point and hold it there. These crazy kids are scraping the rear AND doing it holding on with one hand. I can’t do that on my Mx.

I used to get my 14 Dyna up to about 10 o’clock but it honestly scared me to do it. But that’s the fun of it. I used to tell my skydiving students, “if you’re not scaring yourself, you’re not scaring the crowd.

But even that is an expensive fix when you dump it. Because you WILL dump it at some point.
Yeah, I often wonder how they got so good balancing a bagger, expensive trial and error. Then again, hold my beer and watch this shit...

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Found it.... literally down the street. I was going to bed the other night and just had that, “just take a look locally feeling” one more time. I’m glad I did.

Up came the listing. Over priced by $2500, I still wanted to go see her. Cash talks. Sometimes you just have to show up. A positive attitude and respect go a long way.

I’ve really wanted THIS exact bike for a long time. But I’ve been banging on baggers so long I just put it on the back burner.

I called the gentleman and set up a visit. What a really nice person. He’s been long retired and recently suffered a stroke. Unfortunately his riding days are over. To be honest, while I was excited to find this bike, internally it pained me to know the circumstances. Part of me didn’t want to buy it but he WAS selling it. I was happy to hear his stories and his expert advice on riding it. I wanted to hug the guy after he explained to me that I didn’t want to “burn my hand getting the oil stick out of the side, so wear a glove.” Where have all the good people gone? Well, found one.

I went over with what I believed the bike was worth in my pocket. We talked about the bike, it’s history, it’s value. I asked him to call his son to make sure they felt this was a fair price. I just wanted someone in the loop on this. I’m a terrible human being with few redeeming qualities but taking advantage of people, especially ones that are sort of venerable is a mortal sin. He called a good friend and they chatted a bit while I looked it over. Thumbs up.

Handed over the loot, told him “if I wreck it, I definitely just bought it.” Test rode it. I wanted to show him a little floss. The bike was in awesome shape. He didn’t ride it much let alone ride the way this idiot does.

Sitting on it, it felt like a toy. The way my MX bike feels. So I pulled away normally, got her up to 100, let go of the bars. No vibrations, no wobble, engine running smooth. Back to the house.

The street is black top, so pulling in I locked up the rear, did one 360, then rode it up his driveway.

“OMG, what was that! I’ve never seen that before!”

“Well, I’ve never done that before.”

It was a nice day.

·
Registered
2019 RGS, Fullsac exhaust, S&S stealth AC, TTS tuner.
1,483 Posts
Congrats glad you found what you were looking for, and made some good memories and a story with the purchase. Now where is the picture of it all stripped down ;)

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Congrats glad you found what you were looking for, and made some good memories and a story with the purchase. Now where is the picture of it all stripped down ;)
I’ve been roped into an event this weekend by my hunny. She’s really gotten into her MX bike so today I’m taking her to Jean Lake bed. It’s flat and she can haul ass. She’s only been riding a short time but loves to go fast. Her background is in Down Hill skiiing. She grew up in the Rockies and started skiing at 4. Competed for a long time. I did a wheelie the other day and now she wants to do one. Take it easy hunny. I just let her out of the kitchen. SMACK.

But I’ve already got my parts list in my head. I’m ordering a soft tail low rider tree (they give best dimensions) and longer tubes. Race tech spring kit with emulators. I want to keep it 39mm and bouncy. Haven’t decided on a cam yet but it’ll be a torque cam. I don’t want “too much” power overall on this one. Rear end is going to be set at 14” on some Öhlin’s springs. Thrashin 8” risers with a mid bend MX bar. Vulcan works chain conversion kit. Speed Kings intake. Stealth performance 2:1 exhaust. Chopped rear fender with skid plate. Thrashin pegs, LED lights all around, and a LePera step up seat.

Did I miss anything?

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Cool, things fall into place when you least expect it!

Reactions: Oclaf and Bigmeat45
1 - 20 of 49 Posts