Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up my new RG Ultra and already having issues with the bars. Looking for something comfortable for long distance touring and noted that the HD Catalog lists four bars for this bike: Heritage Style, RG High Handlebar, Reduced Reach, and one that is not named but apparently came stock on 09 CVO RG. Just wondering if anyone out there has has experience with any of these products. Appreciate any input

Cheers, Shepp

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
I have the Reach Seat and am looking at the Heritage Bars next.
The reach Seat depends on your height and inseam. I am 5'7" and I have a 30" inseam.
So I can now sit with my feet flat at a stop. The reach to the handlebar is better too.
When the Tour Pak is detached, the passenger part of the Reach Seat is not as tall as the Ultra seat.
It does look better than the stock Custom seat.
The handle bars are still a little forward, but the seat made it OK for now.
But I want to lean back against my back rest when riding, so the handlebar is next.

·
Registered
7,214 Posts
The handlebar is a very subjective topic. There are a lot of variables to take into consideration, like your seat, your height and your riding position your arm reach. Whats comfortable for others may not be comfortable for you. Reading through the handlebar section it seems the heritage bars are very popular. Personaly i have wild1 12.5 chubbys and i couldnt be more pleased. Those bars put my hands at shoulder height for me. I would suggest that you sit on the bike, hold your hands and body in the most comfortable position and have someone measure from the handlebar clamp up to your hands. That should give you a height to start with. Also try to get to a few places that sell and stock bars to kind "dry fit" them on your bike to get a feel for them. This is probably one of the most difficult things to decide on for your comfort. Good luck in the search :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
i agree it all depends on your size and many other factors what works for one may not be to the likes of others. My 2011 rgu has a set of 16in apes very comfotable to me but not to everyone im sure

·
Registered
243 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
For me, I wanted some after-market bars that offered improved looks, as well as improved touring comfort. It was also important that I still maintain some "hand" windshield/fairing protection from the elements, as I like to ride in the Colorado winter. The PY Monkey Bars had the looks I wanted, so it came down to deciding on what height bars (10" or 12") to go with for my 6ft/34" inseam dimensions. The 12" bars would have been perfect, and would have placed my hands about 1" below shoulder height, but I decided to go with the 10" bars to maintain the hand grip protection that I mentioned. I've been on two long rides after the install and have no regrets on my choice. The10" bars are still 2-3" taller than the ugly stock bars, noticeably more comfortable, and look 100% better.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally decided to go with chrome CVO bars. Just got bike back and think they will be pretty comfortable for long rides, especially compared to the stock bars which were very uncomfortable to me.

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,122 Posts
For me, I wanted some after-market bars that offered improved looks, as well as improved touring comfort. It was also important that I still maintain some "hand" windshield/fairing protection from the elements, as I like to ride in the Colorado winter. The PY Monkey Bars had the looks I wanted, so it came down to deciding on what height bars (10" or 12") to go with for my 6ft/34" inseam dimensions. The 12" bars would have been perfect, and would have placed my hands about 1" below shoulder height, but I decided to go with the 10" bars to maintain the hand grip protection that I mentioned. I've been on two long rides after the install and have no regrets on my choice. The10" bars are still 2-3" taller than the ugly stock bars, noticeably more comfortable, and look 100% better.

I love the look of those bars, and we are pretty close to the same size (and have the same year bike, but mine's an Ultra). Did you internally wire? Was it a PITA, if so? Are they the 1 1/4 Bagger Monkey Bars (which I've been considering)? I'd go for the black, but those bars look great on your bike and I bet they are comfortable...

·
Registered
381 Posts
I love the look of those bars, and we are pretty close to the same size (and have the same year bike, but mine's an Ultra). Did you internally wire? Was it a PITA, if so? Are they the 1 1/4 Bagger Monkey Bars (which I've been considering)? I'd go for the black, but those bars look great on your bike and I bet they are comfortable...
I've done most work to my RGC myself, but read too many install horror stories about installing PYMB, so I paid to have them installed, which does entail internal wiring. When selecting a height, consider that the RGU has a 1" taller seat then the RGC.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts