Road Glide banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife is picking up a 2003 Road Glide on Saturday. We have one little hurdle to jump before I'm ok with her safely riding it. We need to drop it. I've looked at the burly slammer kits and progressive components. I have 2 huge concerns.
1. I don't want to buy crap.
2. I don't want to drop it too much and take ALL the fun out of the twisties.

So I guess what I'm looking for is info on how much you can lower a RG without sacrificing too much ride quality and if anyone has had any experience with Burly products. By the way, she's 5'4".

Thanks all. We will get pics up of her new glide this weekend. I love seeing her this excited.

·
Registered
7,260 Posts
How much do you think you need to lower the bike for her to be comfortable and safe? You can also change the seat to something lower and narrower or have the stock seat reworked in addition to the suspension. As far as buying crap, I don't think you'll go wrong with progressive

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much do you think you need to lower the bike for her to be comfortable and safe? You can also change the seat to something lower and narrower or have the stock seat reworked in addition to the suspension. As far as buying crap, I don't think you'll go wrong with progressive
From the looks of it 2" in the rear will work. I'm also going to drop the front 1". She is looking at solo seats now but can't find many for shorter riders. All of them just push you forward into the tank. She wants just thinner behind the tank.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Check out C&C seats for a solo seat. Their solos usually move you down and back about 1" or so. They will also custom make whatever you want for a reasonable price.
http://www.ccseats.com/Harley.htm

I'm against lowering due to the compromises that occur as a result. I'm not tall but how low it needs to sit depends on the rider. My wife is scared of my RG due to it's weight. She loves her sporty and will continue to ride that.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Lowering

Got a set of lowering brackets off of ebay , I think they were LA choppers. They have 3 settings 1 to 3 inches but they don't recommend the 3 setting. Mine have been on for almost 2 yrs no probs at all n I ride very aggressive . Didn't touch the front but did mod seat at local upholster by taking out almost 2 inches and narrowing the sides. I am 5-5 n touch almost flat footed. Did the same on wife's street glide.

·
Registered
809 Posts
For the rear, get a good set of 12" coil over shock the has the proper spring rate. With the proper sag set, the bike will sit as if it had 11" shocks. On the wife's ultra I have a set of 12" JRI's. If you need it dropped any more, then do it with the seat. The third step if she needs it is to get her boots built up some with taller soles.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
First I would dump the 13" oem shock for a 12" road glide custom or street glide shock. Same oem shock minus 1 ". Then you could use a 1" lowering kit or the multiple kit that is offered all over ebay for $40. A good aftermarket seat will lower ya 1 or 1 1/2 also. You can usually find the RGC or Street glide shocks forsale on here for around $100

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
Yes

For the rear, get a good set of 12" coil over shock the has the proper spring rate. With the proper sag set, the bike will sit as if it had 11" shocks. On the wife's ultra I have a set of 12" JRI's. If you need it dropped any more, then do it with the seat. The third step if she needs it is to get her boots built up some with taller soles.
This is the way to go. I'm also with HogPro on the lowering kits, not a good idea.:)

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is the way to go. I'm also with HogPro on the lowering kits, not a good idea.:)
Ok. I'm in contact with c&c today. She needs to pick out a seat design ( solo or fastback) and Im looking for a set of progressive 412's in 11.5 in. Length. I'm pretty sure it will do the trick.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Check out the HD leather low profile seat it will lower the seating and it is very comfortable and for $300 it is affordable. I have 2 of them and I love them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts