Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
2009 road glide, 2000 S&S 113" hardtail
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is gets rehashed very often, and I've been combing the forums looking for seat info for a solid week. I have kinda narrowed it down to a few. Currently looking at the Saddleman Road Sofa extended, and the Mustang Touring Deluxe extended. I called Mean City Cycles to rebuild my seat, but I guess the 2009 year is a no go because of the seat pan they used for that year. Im 6-2, 230 and feel like i'm too close to the tank on the stock seat otherwise I wouldn't change it. The fact that I have suspension is pretty awesome. I would regularly put 2-400 miles a day on the weekends, plus daily commute on my hardtail. I will continue to do the same, or maybe more with this bike. I ride with my wife on the back probably 50% of the time. She doesn't really have any complaints, but she wouldn't complain unless it was really bad.

Road Sofa- People either love it or hate it seems the stiffness/break-in is a problem for some.
Mustaing Touring Deluxe- Huge! Looks bigger than the seat on my Kubota, but I bet the old lady will be comfy.

Danny Grey Airhawk maybe, I don't know a lot about that seat, but it looks interesting....
Any others I should consider?
Not trying to collect seats like I seem to be collecting windshields

· The Greatest Moderator on The Internet
13,489 Posts
@Hglucky13 The Saddlemen Road Sofa is on My List for those Long Trips.
Whichever seat You decide on I would suggest that You make sure that it has or can use a Backrest that will make a world of difference for extended times in "The Saddle".
Best of Luck with Your Search.
Mike U.

· Registered
614 Posts
Corbin Dual Tour with at least the heated option. Expensive but worth every penny.
Corbins live on all four of my bikes.
Sometimes you can get lucky and find them used on the forums and eBay, that's how I got my as new "Fire and Ice" for less than half price new.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Motor vehicle

· Administrator
2008 FLTRU 105th Anniversary w/ 110"
5,748 Posts
I love my old Road Sofa - it has seen many miles and many 12+ hour days of riding. The back seating area is large for passenger comfort. I can't slip my removable backrest onto my bike due to the size of the rear seat (my bike is a 2008 with the narrower rear end). Yes, some people can't get over the break-in on a Saddlemen, but I know I will always ride with one as long as they are still built like the one I have.

Edit - just as I posted, I see the Corbin suggestion. I gotta say, I know many riders with Corbins and every one of them loves their seats and swears by them - always buying a Corbin for their next (or every) bike. I've never tried one, but I would like to.

· Registered
691 Posts
I have a LaPera Vilian seat that is very comfy and sits you back and down a few inches. It's practically new, i bought it from a friend who sold his bike thinking i would occasionally
swap it out with my Corbin, but i never do. Asking $400 Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle

· Premium Member
Bastardized 2011 FLTRU
958 Posts
I have the Saddlemen SDG which is a great seat and looks wise it’s bad ass IMO. But it’s a little thin in width for big mile touring days IMO, at least for my bony ass and old hips…. Wish I had gotten the Road Sofa. I think the Saddlemen premium seats take a little longer to break in because of the gel inserts. Just got mine back in December and it has taken about 500 miles before I started liking it. At first I thought I made a $700 mistake, but the more I ride it, the more I like it. But I also have an OEM seat for touring and the occasional 2-up with the OL. So if the later is your normal riding, for touring and/or 2-up riding the Road Sofa would be a better choice IMO.

But like oil and tire and windshield threads, you’re about to get 50 different preferences, and many posts saying the same thing because a lot of people don’t read the previous posts before responding, lol.

But what works for Joe may not work for Fred…….. Unfortunately this is one of those choices where you have to do your research, take opinions with a grain of salt, and pull the trigger on your ultimate choice. Which may or may not end up as the right choice. To that point, I have 4 windshields and 4 seats in my garage. I need to sell at least half of these, but I’m afraid that my current preferences may change in the future……

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the Saddlemen SDG which is a great seat and looks wise it’s bad ass IMO. But it’s a little thin in width for big mile touring days IMO, at least for my bony ass and old hips…. Wish I had gotten the Road Sofa. I think the Saddlemen premium seats take a little longer to break in because of the gel inserts. Just got mine back in December and it has taken about 500 miles before I started liking it. At first I thought I made a $700 mistake, but the more I ride it, the more I like it. But I also have an OEM seat for touring and the occasional 2-up with the OL. So if the later is your normal riding, for touring and/or 2-up riding the Road Sofa would be a better choice IMO.

But like oil and tire and windshield threads, you’re about to get 50 different preferences, and many posts saying the same thing because a lot of people don’t read the previous posts before responding, lol.

But what works for Joe may not work for Fred…….. Unfortunately this is one of those choices where you have to do your research, take opinions with a grain of salt, and pull the trigger on your ultimate choice. Which may or may not end up as the right choice. To that point, I have 4 windshields and 4 seats in my garage. I need to sell at least half of these, but I’m afraid that my current preferences may change in the future……
I was thinking about that seat as a second seat for when I am solo, it does look badass. Just more money.....

I realize no one has the right answer for me, but I am trying to get some experienced advice to try to avoid that same problem of collecting things I don't use. I already have 3 windscreens, probably gonna pull the trigger on another.

I am currently on a path to spend as much on accessories as I did on the bike....

· Premium Member
Bastardized 2011 FLTRU
958 Posts
I was thinking about that seat as a second seat for when I am solo, it does look badass. Just more money.....

I realize no one has the right answer for me, but I am trying to get some experienced advice to try to avoid that same problem of collecting things I don't use. I already have 3 windscreens, probably gonna pull the trigger on another.

I am currently on a path to spend as much on accessories as I did on the bike....
Welcome to the club!

I picked up my 2011 Ultra with 16,000 miles last summer for $10k. I can now say I have spent right at $8K on it since purchase. So now I have an $18K twelve year old bike…... And I still haven’t done much to the motor yet; that’s coming this summer. But it’s mine and it’s built how I wanted it.

You could always spend $65k on a new CVO RG, but then you still gotta put money in it to get past all the marginal SE stuff, not to mention personal comfort items like the seat, bars, windshield, etc……. You could then easily end up with a $75K+ motorcycle which is absolutely insane to think about……. I’ll take my $20k cost…..

· Registered
2021 RG special in Snake Venom
2,481 Posts
I have the extended reach road sofa on the new bike. It is a nice seat, firm, sits you down and back, seems well made. My old bike I had a Corbin dual tour. Well when I traded the old bike in the wife didn't want to put the old seat on it because it looked "Old". I wanted on the new one. 50 miles into our 600 mile ride home with the new bike, she said we should have kept the old seat.
For me and the wife, we like the Corbin much better than the road sofa. Not saying the RS is a bad seat, just that the Corbin is that good for us. I bought it used, no idea how many miles on it, and we put over 20,000 on it.
Not keep that seat goes on my long list of serious mistakes Ive made.

Ive been looking on this forum, the other one, and eBay for another Corbin. I haven't seen any

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Roosterman, i'm on that same path. I plan on doing all of the comfort stuff this winter and likely do a serious motor upgrade next winter. I'll be like 25K when im all done. If that's the case and I can get it where I like it, ill probably die with this bike in the garage. I would have to make ALOT more money than I do to try this with a new one. Besides i'm kinda old school, I don't like all of the extras that they put on new bikes. I'm not a fan of ABS, and I haven't ever turned on my radio. Wouldn't know what to do if the computer tried to keep me safe from myself... HAHA

· Registered
2011 Road Glide Ultra
253 Posts
Welcome to the club!

I picked up my 2011 Ultra with 16,000 miles last summer for $10k. I can now say I have spent right at $8K on it since purchase. So now I have an $18K twelve year old bike…... And I still haven’t done much to the motor yet; that’s coming this summer. But it’s mine and it’s built how I wanted it.

You could always spend $65k on a new CVO RG, but then you still gotta put money in it to get past all the marginal SE stuff, not to mention personal comfort items like the seat, bars, windshield, etc……. You could then easily end up with a $75K+ motorcycle which is absolutely insane to think about……. I’ll take my $20k cost…..
Pretty much in the same boat, except I paid 12k, lol, still need to do something about the suspension and not sure on my MCC seat yet. The list of "wants" never stops growing, does it?

· Premium Member
Bastardized 2011 FLTRU
958 Posts
Pretty much in the same boat, except I paid 12k, lol, still need to do something about the suspension and not sure on my MCC seat yet. The list of "wants" never stops growing, does it?
I tell myself I’m done and then find something else I want and then convince myself I need it, ha! 90% of the crap I’ve changed / upgraded is because of this damn forum and it’s a terrible influence on your bank account… But hey, like I tell my wife, I could be spending money at the bar instead…..

· Registered
7,112 Posts
If you are looking to push back away from the tank I would suggest giving the Corbin Solo Tour a look. I'm 6'-01" and slightly heavier than you and it works very well for me. I don't feel cramped at all. Never had a Saddleman so I can't comment on it, but the Mustang will not push you away from the tank, in fact probably do the opposite or at least feel that way.

· Premium Member
Bastardized 2011 FLTRU
958 Posts
And in looking at the new bikes that came out yesterday (no thanks!) TBH aside from the electronics extras that Lucky13 mentioned, I came to the realization that there really isn’t a lot of difference between my 12 year old bike and the new ones. Which considering HD R&D (or lack there of) is pretty sad really. After 12 years it’s 90% the same technology, and my TC 103 purrs like a kitten and is bulletproof. After suspension updates mine rides way better than the new ones, and like I said, the style hasn’t changed. The new infotainment stuff is nice, but it’s sketchy (whims, dims, or whatever) and is underpowered, plus I don’t care about tire pressure monitors, or CB radio or intercom. God knows I get enough nagging at home so I sure as Hell don’t want it in my ear when the OL occasionally rides with me, lol. And most people upgrade the stereo anyway, so for less money I can also (and partially have) upgrade my pre Rushmore and get exactly what I want. SoundStream just came out with a plug-and-play head unit that retains factory bar controls, does Bluetooth and Apple CarPlay to include navigation, and has a large screen. It’s on my list…..

I guess i’m not the MOCO’s preferred customer because I dont buy a new bike every 2 or 3 years. I’m 56 y/o and this will likely be my last HD touring bike. I plan to one day build a bar hopper but its gonna be a 100% old school hod rod, and that’s down the road….

· Registered
3,104 Posts
I have the HD Road Zeppelin with the built in air compressor on my 2009, been the most comfortable touring seat that I have owned. Not sure if they still make them or not. Not the prettiest looking seat in the world, but I didn't get it for people to look at. After all I run a Madstad.

Automotive design Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Fender

1 - 20 of 47 Posts