Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellow RG Brothers/Sisters

I want a new shield because as we all know the HD stock one is useless . The problem is the stock one is perfect height for me.. I'm 5'5" with an inseam of 29". Yea yea I'm a short guy... anyway I read good reviews on Freedom shields and sent them an email. John got back with me and said for my size he would say the 11" would be good for me. I put up a cardboard templet on my stock shield and with an 11" size I will be looking through the shield.. I know best is to look over the top but I'm kind of in that grey area now. Any suggestions for us short riders that are getting beaten up with the stock shield? thanks DAWG

·
Registered
927 Posts

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
Hey fellow RG Brothers/Sisters

I want a new shield because as we all know the HD stock one is useless . The problem is the stock one is perfect height for me.. I'm 5'5" with an inseam of 29". Yea yea I'm a short guy... anyway I read good reviews on Freedom shields and sent them an email. John got back with me and said for my size he would say the 11" would be good for me. I put up a cardboard templet on my stock shield and with an 11" size I will be looking through the shield.. I know best is to look over the top but I'm kind of in that grey area now. Any suggestions for us short riders that are getting beaten up with the stock shield? thanks DAWG
Hey Red. Call John back and tell him you'd like the 10" Sport Touring Shield. When you receive the shield, leave the protective film on it and give it a try. I think you'll be happy. If not, you can return it and John will refund your money or exchange for another style / size.

The great thing about John's shields is that the optical clarity is fantastic. Even if sometimes you have to look through part of the shield there is almost nil fish bowl effect or other optical anomalies that will drive you nuts.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Madstad. It even looks "Road Glide".

Reactions: arkieglide

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how tall are you ?? and is this an HD shield?? you said 6.5... ???? the stock shield is 8" and Im getting blasted with wind...

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
how tall are you ?? and is this an HD shield?? you said 6.5... ???? the stock shield is 8" and Im getting blasted with wind...
Ok I could be wrong. I have before but I think they mean 6.5 inches above the very top of the dash.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
The Memphis Shade has a lip on the top as well to deflect the wind over top of you - You might even be able to go with the 5.5 - My 6.5 is Black and cannot be seen through

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
With your template, did you mock it up correctly? Why I ask is, if he told you that size would work, maybe you just didn't mock it up correctly.

Just asking of course and not to bust balls or anything.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I'm 5'6 1/2" with a 30" inseam (Yup verticly challenged just like you) and I went with the LongRideShield 10" on my Rushmore.

It works great and even when I sit very tall (relatively speaking BUWAHHHH HAHAHAHAHA) I get maybe a 1/2 inch at the very top of my helmet, but thats it.

BTW for whomever it was that said the MadStad even looks Shark, were you meaning ugly?!?!?!?!? I prefer different maybe, but UGLY??? Come on, man!!! LOL

Mike

Reactions: eddienelson

·
Registered
435 Posts
Check out long ride shields, they are good quality, not saying their the best. They are cheap compared to many others, even if you got one that didn't work well, you could order another and still be less expensive than most shields.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I'm on a 17 Ultra, not the Special. I'm 6 ft with a 34" inseam (most of my height is in my legs). I'm waiting on an 11" Clearview shield. I ordered the 14", but it was slightly to tall for me, I was looking right at the top of the shield. I had to move my head down to look through it, or raise my head to look over it. All my shields have been Clearviews. They are optically correct and there is no distortion when you look through them. On the Rushmore bikes, they take the height measurement from the bottom of the infotainment screen.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Hi there; I've tried a lot different shields and I'm all for Klock Werks, Check out the Flare shields, I reckon you have a Rushmore-model, and choose between Sport Flare or Pro-Touring Flare. The Sport-line looks very nice - head over to Getclocked.com! You can try it before you buy it! :)

Here is the 9" Low Black Sport Flare!

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
5' 9" stock seat. I have the Sting ray and Thresher from Long Ride Shield in 11". Work great for me. Watch the site for sales. The prices really can't be beat.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I also have the Thresher from Long Ride Shield. I'm 5ft4in with 30in inseam and I measured out to a 12in but bought a 13in. I wanted it to force me to sit up straight. And it's big enough to get behind in bad weather. I'm very happy and the price was right.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
778 Posts
I also have the Madstad and it works! Most folks cant get over the looks of it but the functionality overrides the looks for me.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Sold my ‘08 FLTR with its OEM windshield installed. Kept my 1st gen. madStad and have it listed for sale in classifieds.
Just received my new 2018 FLTR Special in White. The OEM windshield looks nice, but functionality not to my liking.

With all the new aerodynamics of the RoadGlide, does the MadStad resolve wind dynamics? What’s the benefit of the MadStad on a 2018 FLTR?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts