Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wrecked the Glide today. Guy pulled out in front of me. Going to be the entire front end from and including the tank forward. Crash bar smashed the tank. I think my PM wheel actually survived. Maybe, I hope. Anyway. Have State Farm. Is there any advise one could give in dealing with these people? It's headed in to the local Stealer tomorrow for an insurance damage/repair estimate. Hoping and praying they're not going to try to total it. What if I'm not satisfied with they're offer? Is there any arguing after that? The bike isn't stock at all is my concern. How do they place value on powdercoated parts for example? Replace with originals and let me worry about customizing my bike again? Thanks in advance for any and all info and advise.

·
Registered
311 Posts
It would depend on the coverage that you have. My policy has like $2000 coverage for add-ons. I'm sure that I could purchase more, but I haven't. If they total it, see about buying it back and rebuild. It is gonna have a rebuilt title anyways now.

I wish you the best on it, but definitely keep us informed.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Probably will be best if you have receipts for all of the extras, as I'm almost positive that the insurance company will want to see them. Be prepared to have them factor in "depreciation value" of aftermarket parts. This is only my opinion, so I will leave it at that. Best of luck.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Sent PM, if ya didn't get try sending back, again " you right", call if in need, rest es on the ins sht

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sent PM, if ya didn't get try sending back, again " you right", call if in need, rest es on the ins sht
Thanks Bob I'll do that. No Pm's came through. I'm okay physically for the most part. Knee and elbow got banged up and I stretched something between my neck and shoulder that's making my left arm weak but ER Dr. says it should all heal soon. Emerald is coming to pick up the wreck in the morning. I'll keep y'all posted. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Probably will be best if you have receipts for all of the extras, as I'm almost positive that the insurance company will want to see them. Be prepared to have them factor in "depreciation value" of aftermarket parts. This is only my opinion, so I will leave it at that. Best of luck.
I'd have to do a lot of calling to have receipts faxed or shipped. I don't keep receipts like I should. Should I be able to request all the old parts they take off if they decide to fix everything? For instance my CVO bags. Only one got smashed. I'm assuming they can't buy just one. So who gets the other one? The stealer?

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Your call, Emerald can be dealt with., Although other advice welcomed, forum basis, Your the Priority . Off tomorrow no rush no how

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I had State Farm when I wrecked my old EGC. They treated me incredibly well. I felt the first offer was a little low, so I countered and they accepted. They also paid me additional for the tires and work I had done at the dealer to be able to get it home. They also paid $2000 towards medical bills. They totaled it out, but I "bought" it back. They basically just cut me a check for the agreed amount minus the negotiated salvage value and deductible. It wasn't as severe as yours, I needed new crash bars and outer fairing and some smaller chrome stuff. I don't know how your state works, but I didn't even have to change the title, so it didn't show salvage. I was up front and honest when I sold it and he was able to finance without any issues. My agent was incredibly helpful. I wrecked it in Florida on a Saturday. Started the claim Saturday evening when we got back to the condo from the hospital. When I got home Monday afternoon there was a mesage from my agent checking up and asking what we needed. She came to the house and picked up receipts for medical bills and stuff several times, brought me my check and the paperwork I had to sign after we agreed on a settlement. I was very pleased with the way they handled it. And my rates didn't go up either. Mine was a single bike incident so no other insurance companies were involved. If the other guy was at fault and his insurance company tries to not treat you well don't hesitate to get yours involved. They have the lawyers and horsepower to force the other company to do right. The threat of contacting one of the ambulance chasing lawyers is a good card to keep in your back pocket as well. Good luck brother, glad you are ok and will heal. They make new bikes everyday!!!!!

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
Remember things like this. When they total the front end, they will price it out and this is when you could come out ahead by adding Ohlin cartridges instead of the Harley stuff. Would be willing to bet it wouldn't be much in difference in price. If you do, pm me for info on the Ohlins. Sorry to hear about your wreck, just glad you are ok.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
State Farm told me there wasn't any personal injury protection in this state when I started with them. Didn't bother me much since I pretty much have the best medical money can buy through my Union. If you don't mind me asking Bleachy, how much was your total? What year bike was it?

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
State Farm told me there wasn't any personal injury protection in this state when I started with them. Didn't bother me much since I pretty much have the best medical money can buy through my Union. If you don't mind me asking Bleachy, how much was your total? What year bike was it?
I wrecked in 2011 I think it was. The bike was an old 96 EGC. I had only paid $6500 for it a couple months prior to the wreck. I don't remember the exact amount, but I ended up getting a check after netting out my $100 deductible and salvage value for about $4500. This included fees like registration for a "new" bike, sales tax, the tow fee, the $800 I had to pay the dealer in New Smyrna to put new tires and bend a couple things for the bike to b rideable enough to get on the trailer. I had enough money to replace all the body parts that needed it, the crash bar and saddlebags guards, grips, shifter shaft, plus had a top end job done to replace a seeping base gasket. I replaced everything myself, but had the shop do the top end.

·
Registered
31 Posts
A couple months ago I wrecked my '08 FLTR and was covered by State Farm. They have a $1k max medical in my state, so that part had to go through my regular health insurance.

A couple times I had to call them and prod them along to keep the claim moving towards a resolution, but in general I was satisfied with the financial settlement. I had all receipts and records, so I sent those in and got partial compensation for modifications. They also have coverage in my state for riding gear that is worn for safety. So stuff like my shirt wasn't covered, but they paid me for my boots, chaps, gloves, helmet, and goggles. I did have to provide detailed info on what each item was (brand, cost, etc.).

Unfortunately my bike was one year too new to buy back under state law.

FWIW, they valued my bike at just under $13k. Even once I negotiated the repairs down to around $8600 with the shop, they still said it was too high of a cost to repair and they totaled it. They supposedly have a certain percentage of value over which they won't repair. They didn't share the exact percentage with me, but it sounded like it may be as low as 55-60% or thereabouts.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
They don't f with Front End Damage as if the frame head is even the SLIGHTEST bit bent, totaled - Ducati has a tiny little flange and if it is even slightly "moved" the adjust will total the bike as any frame damage (even after repair) becomes a lability to them and if you go back out on the road and said frame damage (even after repaired) causes another accident, the cost of (2) claims usually outweighs the cost of a total claim.

I hae SF as well and my buddy is my agent and this is how he explained it to me

Insurance really is legalized gambling and based entirely off Risk so if SF feels their Risk is lowered (even by a single percentage point) by totaling your bike, they will.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hobbled my way into the stealer today to grill them on the process of estimating the damage to my Baby and what their experiences were with totals. They said it was a toss up. They're right now doing a frame replace on a 2010 so who knows. Did say that usually the culprit behind a total if the neck is fine, and mine appears to be, is the mount point for the crash bars in front of the tank. If that's pulled out then it gets a new frame or its totaled. Looked pretty damn flat to us but the tech is going to have to do his estimate and they'd go off what he finds. Unfortunately it's not on the schedule until Wednesday or Thursday. I guess that's not really that far off but it seems like an eternity. Thanks for all the replies and cross y'alls fingers please. Unless you're religious, a prayer couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Sorry to hear about your bike I hope everything gets taken care of. The main thing is you didn't get hurt too bad.
State Farm from what I understand from insurance shopping doesn't have a big accessory coverage writer available, I think that the standard accessory coverage was $2000 and you could buy another $3,000 to make it a total of $5000 in accessory coverage.
Since I had more than $5000 in accessories on my bike I had to go to another insurance company to get more coverage.
I wouldn't be surprised that some of your extras may not be covered.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again for all the kind words from everybody. what insurance company do you use Ironmark? Are receipts required? That's sometimes a problem when buying things off eBay, Craigslist or the forum, right?

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
Thanks again for all the kind words from everybody. what insurance company do you use Ironmark? Are receipts required? That's sometimes a problem when buying things off eBay, Craigslist or the forum, right?
I used Allstate or Progressive, they never asked for receipts but once they asked for a list of extras.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts