Road Glide banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
--Update--
I spoke with one of the service guys today and he said the Tech finished his inspection and said, fortunately for me, that the crash bar wrapped around the down tube before it hit the tank. So it didn't put any side load on that mount bolt and so...NO FRAME DAMAGE!!! Can't tell you how excited I am. Yeah I know they could still try to total. Have to wait for them to finish itemizing and pricing parts so they can finish the estimate and give myself and State Farm the total but I think it's a big hurdle crossed so far. Now fingers crossed that the parts list doesn't get too crazy. Anybody know what percentage of actual value they will pay in Washington state before it's a total?

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
--Update--
I spoke with one of the service guys today and he said the Tech finished his inspection and said, fortunately for me, that the crash bar wrapped around the down tube before it hit the tank. So it didn't put any side load on that mount bolt and so...NO FRAME DAMAGE!!! Can't tell you how excited I am. Yeah I know they could still try to total. Have to wait for them to finish itemizing and pricing parts so they can finish the estimate and give myself and State Farm the total but I think it's a big hurdle crossed so far. Now fingers crossed that the parts list doesn't get too crazy. Anybody know what percentage of actual value they will pay in Washington state before it's a total?
Great news on the frame if you want to keep the bike. The upper mounting area for the crash bar is the most common area you may see damage. It's a pretty beefy peicee but they will bend if the crash bar is hit hard enough.

I am an appraiser in mass and 80% is a total loss. That being said, I can total it at 60% if there are a lot of "open ended items or question mark items".

Receipts, kind of up to your state, ins co, appraiser and inside adjuster. For me, if the items are obvious I don't need receipts. Ex: exhaust, air cleaner, bars, seats- things that I know are not stock for the bike I am looking at. I will google and search part prices.

Your best friend in this is a good shop/dealer that has a good working relationship with the appraiser.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions and you think I can help PM me.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
--Update--
Went through this last year on another bike of mine that a friend was riding.
Have progressive insurance and they were great to work with. The bike was a total . I did provide receipts for add ons. Even the e-bay one was cool. They don't cover labor on these only the cost of the parts,like an engine mod etc.Strip it if they don't want to pay.
Glad you are walking.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Glad to hear that you are doing OK MightWhitey. The insurance game is a racket, so just be patient and firm about what you think is fair and right. Sometimes it takes a little bit of a fight, but in the end it'll be worth it. Hope you're back on two wheels again real soon!

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Thanks for the kind words and advice folks. Shouldn't be long before HD gets done with their parts list and estimate. Either way, I fix or they do, it's going to be many weeks waiting for a fairing and stretched bags to be painted from HD. After reading some of the other threads on here lately...I'm not going to bitch about that.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Man!! if nothing else this thread reminds me to be more diligent on keeping receipts. I have done a lot of small things one at a time, but over time they all add up to a lot of money. Heads here, cams there, tuner here, you know the drill. I have not kept nearly enough records.

Glad your OK though

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Yep. Everyone else reading this that doesn't keep receipts, go back and get all of them you can from vendors and even get signed receipts for high price items from forum and Craigslist sales. Never know when it's going to come in handy. I bought a tour pack from a member here for $600 but kept no record of it and I can't remember his name. Maybe it would help get a few hundred more.

·
Registered
2,447 Posts
Mighty Whitey,
Whose doing the paint? Gene? If so he's a good one. His shop is in Federal Way. Best color match man around, Does a lot of CVO paint.

·
Registered
454 Posts
On May 25th my garage burnt along with my '16 Special. Had 44 miles on odo; never been on the street dyno miles. I was recovering from rotator cuff surgery. SF initially offered $21,088 after $1,000 deductable. When I signed off on the total we were at $26,692 and the $1,000 deductable. Around here no one likes the Progressive people when dealing with a crash, most folks that have had troubles have left them and headed to Dairyland. See ya in Canada on '16 number 2.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
$12,000 without labor and that's after I made them take the frame off of the estimate for a "possible scratch under the crash bar". They specifically told me last week that the frame was fine then almost sent in an estimate to State Farm with a new frame. Told them to finalize it and not do anything without contacting me first. Man I was pissed. Not sure how many times I have to tell them I don't want it totaled. They must think I'll buy a new bike from them if it's a total. This crap is going to take a lot longer than I had hoped.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
Trying to make sense of it. Frame good or not, EST for 12 with our labor would close to total. Frame fame, you need a definite. Didn't think they were non-right. SF is gonna get confused

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Trying to make sense of it. Frame good or not, EST for 12 with our labor would close to total. Frame fame, you need a definite. Didn't think they were non-right. SF is gonna get confused
They told me on the phone that the tech said frame was OK. When I show up four days later to get an update they had the frame in the estimate they were getting ready to send in to State Farm. I told them to take it off the estimate. They said no problem. State Farm isn't involved yet.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I am an appraiser in mass and 80% is a total loss. That being said, I can total it at 60% if there are a lot of "open ended items or question mark items".

Receipts, kind of up to your state, ins co, appraiser and inside adjuster. I will google and search part prices.

Your best friend in this is a good shop/dealer that has a good working relationship with the appraiser.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions and you think I can help PM me.
Edited above a bit, but this is the guy to get help from !

Also, great to know, as he is a fellow Masshole....:wink:

One think that may effect your result, is the adjuster's experience with MC's. I certainly have no idea how SF does business in your area. In house, independent national firm, local firm. But, there is some pressure for them to be "economical".

During conversation, in passing, asking to find out who buys the salvage in your area, might help you find some parts.

Good Luck !

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
They told me on the phone that the tech said frame was OK. When I show up four days later to get an update they had the frame in the estimate they were getting ready to send in to State Farm. I told them to take it off the estimate. They said no problem. State Farm isn't involved yet.
I re red and meant 'your' not our. Damn phone, gotta proof everything, no telling how the PM's sounded. Wish ya the best. Iam going to have to get a keyboard, screen to small, flipphone time
That and English alphabet

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Any news yet?
Sorry, I've been meaning to call and chat with you but I get so wrapped up in work I forget everything else else and I work 11 hrs a day. Have the rest of the week off though. Still battling with Emerald Harley to get the damn estimate in. the guy handling it said Sunday he needed to finalize it and speed with his manger, who gets back Tuesday. I call today and the manager says he's not sure where the guy is at in the process but he's off until Thursday so he'll check with him then. I'm really not impressed.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Sorry, I've been meaning to call and chat with you but I get so wrapped up in work I forget everything else else and I work 11 hrs a day. Have the rest of the week off though. Still battling with Emerald Harley to get the damn estimate in. the guy handling it said Sunday he needed to finalize it and speed with his manger, who gets back Tuesday. I call today and the manager says he's not sure where the guy is at in the process but he's off until Thursday so he'll check with him then. I'm really not impressed.
Sucks playing hurry up and wait. Give holler if you need to. Funky couple weeks with holidays and lots of vacation, things are really bogged down in my area.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Went in today and took their second draft estimate out to my bike and looked it over real close and marked off the things that were not necessary, then stood at the service desk while they removed those items and finished the estimate. Paid for the estimate and told them they could drop the bike off at my place after insurance is happy. $8,000 total with labor so I think that will be acceptable. They had things like both bags when only one was really damaged. The other just had a scuff on top of the clear coat, CFR's were scratched under the bag where you couldn't see it, performance machine floorboard was scuffed( who cares my dirty foot sits on it) etc etc. now they only have to take some photos and email them. I would think they could do that rather quickly.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts