Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all--Planning a bike trip in June to Windsor from the Chicago area. Already know the wife and I need to get helmets (Blah) but also found out that we cannot go through the Det/Wind tunnel. Bummer. Kinda wanted to do that. So my question is for those from the True North, or those who have done a Canada road trip. What's the best alternate for this? Any cool spots to check out on the way up? Any info is appreciated!
P.S.- Got a Canadian flag tattooed on my arm...along side the American flag. It's a hockey thing. :wink: That'll help me at the border though eh?

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
What's in Windsor?

Passports work best as ID for crossing the border.

Don't bring a handgun. You will be asked if you have Alcohol, Tobacco or firearms or ammunition with you or in your vehicle.

Don't lie to the customs and border patrol folks. Answer only what you are asked, volunteer no extra information. Be honest about your past, the two countries share all kinds of information about its' citizens.

Have a specific destination and time frame for being in Canada when asked.

Fuel, food and accommodation will be more expensive but that will be offset by the currency exchange, your dollar is worth about 1.25 Canadian right now. Figure on 100$ per day for fuel and food + accommodation costs

Here is a neat round trip map for you.

Stage 1. https://goo.gl/maps/326CXnRhpUv

https://www.ontariotravel.net/en/listing/ChiCheemaun-Ferry-Service-Tobermory-to-Manitoulin-Island-Tobermory-Terminal/36380

Stage 2. https://goo.gl/maps/XHpo1e643iS2

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
885 Posts
If it was me I’d enjoy the back roads up in Michigan and cross at the blue water bridge into sarnia. It’s only a few hours north of Windsor but a much nicer crossing. There is a nice road along the water back south to Windsor to enjoy.

04 Road Glide

·
Registered
708 Posts
Can anyone confirm or deny that entry into Canada with a DUI in your past will get you turned around. trying to plan a trip that way with a few guys with a checkered past. Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can anyone confirm or deny that entry into Canada with a DUI in your past will get you turned around. trying to plan a trip that way with a few guys with a checkered past. Thanks
Yep--true. I'm in LE--a buddy of mine got a DUI. He cannot go across the border.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What's in Windsor?

Don't bring a handgun. You will be asked if you have Alcohol, Tobacco or firearms or ammunition with you or in your vehicle.

Don't lie to the customs and border patrol folks. Answer only what you are asked, volunteer no extra information. Be honest about your past, the two countries share all kinds of information about its' citizens.

Fuel, food and accommodation will be more expensive but that will be offset by the currency exchange, your dollar is worth about 1.25 Canadian right now. Figure on 100$ per day for fuel and food + accommodation costs

https://www.ontariotravel.net/en/listing/ChiCheemaun-Ferry-Service-Tobermory-to-Manitoulin-Island-Tobermory-Terminal/36380

Calgaryglide
Awesome! Thanks for the ideas. We are heading up for the Bob Probert Memorial Ride. I've been wanting to do it for a couple years now. He was my favorite player, and the run looks like it's getting bigger and bigger! I've been to Toronto-back in '08 but we flew in. This will be my 1st road trip. Pretty excited!

·
Registered
3,435 Posts
What's in Windsor?

Calgaryglide
To add on to what he said (he is the most helpful Canadian I know).

Get an insurance certificate from your motorcycle insurance carrier. Mine was State Farm, and they wanted to know when I would be in Canada. Be broad, select more than your planned trip, just in case. Carry it with you.

Check your Health Insurance carrier to see if you are covered in Canada. Canada has Universal Health Care, but only for Canadians.

Be aware that most Harley speedometers do not have Kilometers Per Hour printed on them (dumb) like most cars do. Garman GPS systems that display the local speed limit will know what it is in Canada, and display it in MPH. Very handy. There is a simple formula you can use (google it) but just remember 100KPH is 60MPH.

Do try and follow the routes Calgaryglide listed. He gave me some really good ones for my last trip, but someone was trying to burn down British Columbia (entirely) so I had to adjust. Always be ready to adjust if you wander up north.

Petro Canada stations seem to always have Premium (91) and most seem to take American Credit Cards at the pump. Not all stations take American Cars at the pump. Some stations may fuck you over by requiring you to pre-pay a certain amount at the counter, then refund the difference when you are done. That is two foreign currency transactions. Fuck that... Others just want to hang on to your card while you pump and charge what you bought. They are vary picky about drive-away gas thieves.

Ice Field Parkway in Jasper National Park is awesome, beyond awesome. If you plan on visiting a bunch of National Parks, go to the Parks Canada web site and look into a park pass. Do that well in advance, they will mail you one so you don't have to deal with paying at the booth. As I recall, one pass may be good for more than 1 bike.

Canada is an awesome place to ride. The people are great, there is sooooo much beautiful scenery out west (Alberta and British Columbia). Saskatchewan is like Kansas, only bigger so watch your gas.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! Great tips--really appreciate it. Things I would not have thought of!

·
Registered
211 Posts
Yep--true. I'm in LE--a buddy of mine got a DUI. He cannot go across the border.

I would call the Canadian border agency to see if you can get so kind of paper work done so they let you in, because hell yes alot of nice places to ride here in Canada

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
I believe they recently put it at ten years from the date of your DUI, after which they will allow you entry. So it is not a lifetime ban.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Hey all--Planning a bike trip in June to Windsor from the Chicago area. Already know the wife and I need to get helmets (Blah) but also found out that we cannot go through the Det/Wind tunnel. Bummer. Kinda wanted to do that. So my question is for those from the True North, or those who have done a Canada road trip. What's the best alternate for this? Any cool spots to check out on the way up? Any info is appreciated!
P.S.- Got a Canadian flag tattooed on my arm...along side the American flag. It's a hockey thing. :wink: That'll help me at the border though eh?
Looking forward to pics and stories from the road sh1520. Glad you started this thread; I'm hoping to do something similar when my 'tour of duty" is over with momma. Again man, looking forward to pics and such; ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!:grin::grin::grin:

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
wow i wasn't aware of all the restrictions. i crossed at windsor in 1984 for the F1 Detroit Grand Prix and they just told me to put my radar detector away lol.
makes me wonder why people freak out about our requirements for the southern border!!!

What about opening & closing of camping areas? Is there a seasonal date they use?
I guess generally is there a better month or time to go traveling up there?

Ride Lake Superior is on my bucket list after doing the trip around Lake Michigan this year.

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
wow i wasn't aware of all the restrictions. i crossed at windsor in 1984 for the F1 Detroit Grand Prix and they just told me to put my radar detector away lol.
makes me wonder why people freak out about our requirements for the southern border!!!

What about opening & closing of camping areas? Is there a seasonal date they use?
I guess generally is there a better month or time to go traveling up there?

Ride Lake Superior is on my bucket list after doing the trip around Lake Michigan this year.
Radar detectors are legal in BC, Alberta and Saskatchewan (Sas catch e(soft) one)(tough to say and spell but easy to draw).

Camping, depending on how far north you go, most campgrounds open up around May 1 and close after 2nd weekend in October. There are a few that are open year round but because of winter/deep frost and shallow water lines, they close before freeze up and open after the thaw.

Better time to visit on a Motorcycle? I have literally seen it snow in every month except July. That is out west in Alberta above Montana. Same as camping season, May to end of September. Best weather of all is June, July and August.

Ride Lake Superior in mid to late July for the warmest time of year. For the most colorful, ride it in last half of September but be prepared for very cool morning and early sunsets.

"Your Canadian tour guide"

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
I might have missed it in an earlier post, but when I did a short stint in Canada this past summer I called my cell phone provider to be sure I had international coverage for phone use. I understand you can get hit with some significant unexpected fees and the international coverage is pretty negligible, and you can turn it on for just the days you're there.

Have a great trip!

Ron

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
I might have missed it in an earlier post, but when I did a short stint in Canada this past summer I called my cell phone provider to be sure I had international coverage for phone use. I understand you can get hit with some significant unexpected fees and the international coverage is pretty negligible, and you can turn it on for just the days you're there.

Have a great trip!

Ron
Yup, check with your cell phone provider to make sure that they have a decent International roaming policy/program. Most Canadian providers provide a daily rate for travel into the U.S., like 7$/day for texting/phone as long as you don't go over the data limit. Use common sense and ask for that WIFI code whenever you are stopped. Cell service is excellent all across Canada within 2-3 hours of the U.S. border. Its get very spotty in the farther Northern parts of most of the provinces. If you've got a 4 lane road or paved 2 lane road, you should have decent coverage.

The main cellular providers in Canada are Bell, Rogers and Telus.

Regards,

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
16 Posts
I Park Canada Pass is good for up to 7 people so make sure the person with the pass is in the lead. If you plan on doing the Parkway between Jasper and Banff make sure to have a full tank of fuel before you leave Banff as the only gas stop on the parkway dose not always have 91 fuel.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts