Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey kids,
Looking to plan a trip for me and the wifey to celebrate our 10 year anniversary in the fall. Looking at the first week of November flying into Miami Thursday night, dinner and hotel. Renting at RG at local dealer (do they rent used, as I want nothing to do with the 15s!) and head to key west for the weekend.
I've never rented a bike, or been to key west. Any advice/insight/tips on where to stay, eat, activities would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,045 Posts
Terry, if your wife doesn't want to go, I'll volunteer. Definitely a great place for a 3-5 day get-away. Always a good time atmosphere on Key West. Lots of good food places from bar burger cheap to "just caught today" expensive seafood places. Although I was driving a car, on the times I drove from Homestead down to Key West, I can tell you that the most difficult part of riding a bike down there will be to concentrate on the road and not be gawking off at the water, boats, and bikinis. Very easy to get distracted here and there. Enjoy the trip.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Go to Blue Heaven at 729 Thomas St in Key West. Take your time riding down to key west. There are plenty of cool bars to stop at. Stop at Robbie's in Islamorada and feed the Tarpon. As for hotels, they are all expensive. The ighthouse in key west is nice and its across from the Hemingway house. The Key Lime Inn is a mansion that was converted to a hotel.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The obligatory picture at the Southernmost Point, Sunset at Mallory Square, Crawl Duval St.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The obligatory picture at the Southernmost Point, Sunset at Mallory Square, Crawl Duval St.
I saw a picture a while back that looked like they had placed guard rails around the Southernmost Point so you couldn't get a bike close enough to take a picture. Does anyone know for sure if that's so?

·
Registered
816 Posts
One of the brides favorite places in the world is Islamorada.

We've stayed at Pelican Cove a couple times over the years. Found it down there scuba diving the wrecks in the 90's. Stayed in a condo near Key Largo the 3rd time down, no rooms south of there that weekend. Lesson learned there was "MAKE RESERVATIONS" prior to blastoff. 250 a night is a common rate if you can see the water,but P/Cove is 50 ft from the gulf side. Key West is a crazy place sometimes. Been twice. We walked out the old Six mile bridge aways, and one night we watched the fishing boats come in with whatever they had caught that day. Watched 5 guys on adventure BMW's head out onto the new 6 mile bridge, last guy in line yanked a wheelie and rode into the sunset..:cool:

On the bucket list to get my bike down there and ride the Overseas Highway someday. Convertibles are fun, but it aint a RoadGlide.

+ one on Card Sound Road

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your insight so far. Any other favorite spots to stay? I'm going to call for reservations later this week.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Look into staying in Big Pine Key, much cheaper and very close to Key West. In Key West park the bike and rent a scooter, very cheap and easier to get around on. Go to Hog's Breath Saloon and watch the sunset from Mallory Square, you will regret it if you don't do the square.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lighthouse, key lime in, casa 325 all booked for my dates. Going to keep looking.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A $2000 cc deposit for a $99 rental? dfaq? I might just rent a convertible. Any other ideas for lodging? I'm zero for 10 on referrals on where to stay.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Try airbnb.com for a place to stay. I've used them all over the world with fantastic results.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have the condo guy's card at home. See if I can scan it or take a pic of it tonight. He has condos avail all up and down the keys, like a clearing house for them. He can do 1 or 2 nite rentals, rather than the week the resorts will charge. If he's still there, should help you out.

·
Registered
816 Posts
call and see if this guys still around. Might get you into a pretty nice
place. Did ok by us. Stayed in a Ocean Properties gated private condo in Key Largo for less than the hotel was going to cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the leads, gentlemen. I'll reach out to both in then am.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I'm late to chime in. Don't know what you have booked yet.

But, some riding buddies have done this trip twice out of Boston Logan, as you probably are. After researching:

Fly RT into Orlando. Cheap direct flights because of the mouse.

Rent in Orlando. Dealer there has large rental fleet, good prices.

Drive MC's down east coast to KW. Return on West coast.

·
Super Moderator
1,777 Posts
Bike Rental

2000.00 deposit is S.O.P. for HD rentals. HD rentals will all be 15 model year bikes. Try Eagle Rider if you want a 2013 model RGU, they should still have some in the fleet.

When I do fly'n'rides I use one CC for the bike rental only. Let them put the deposit on that one, I use another CC for gas, accommodation and usually pay cash for meals.

I also take my own rain gear and helmet, personal preference but I know it fits me.

Calgaryglide

·
Registered
354 Posts
One tip I have is to take the Card sound cutoff, the traffic over the bridge to the first key gets backed up to a dead stop most days much easier going over the Card Sound bridge and nicer ride.
And stop at Alabama Jacks for a cold one and a meal.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts