Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I spent the last six weeks in Kentucky making observations on the Army's next generation of leaders that will commission next year. I trailered my bike up so I could get some gliding in on the few moments I had to spare while there. This past Friday I was finally released to head back home to Louisiana.

As I was driving through Memphis I moved from I-55 to US-61, this lovely woman was coming from the opposite direction and never yielded despite her having blaring signage and a huge Silverado with trailer in tow on the main line of the interchange. I slammed the brakes and came screeching to a halt as the trailer jackknifed behind me. We never made contact. As I began to pull forward I felt a thud in the trailer.

I pulled over when I found some shoulder and much to my dismay found that the force of the stop and torque of the trailer threw the bike out of the chock and the three tie downs I had on it. I immediately assessed the damage, stood the bike up, took photos, and called my insurance. After a lengthy conversation I was informed I was liable for the entirety of the damages because I failed to adequately tie the bike down. I have been riding for years as well as trailering, it is not as if I don't know how to properly tie my precious ride down.

Insulted and infuriated are an understatement as to my reaction. Then I told them if that was the case drop the claim all together, I was then informed that if the damages were more than $500 that my premiums would go up and that they couldn't drop it. I told them to cancel my policy and went back to my previous insurance company I had for years. I have not have to make an insurance claim since I was 17...I turn 40 next month.

Needless to say, cutting a corner to save a few bucks is going to cost me $2700 out of pocket. I am coming here to see...is there anything I can do from here, or is eating the cost the only option?

·
Life Member
5,434 Posts
That sucks and I'm sorry to hear of your misfortune. If it were me I would have asked to see where in your policy it explains how to "adequately tie the bike down" in order to have a claim accepted.

I'm sure that wont get you anywhere but WTH it won't hurt at this point.

·
Registered
158 Posts
No impact and I assume there was no police report, i think you are out of luck on collecting from the other party. I would check the exclusions in the policy. I know mine does not have a "tie down" exclusion. I would make a physical damage claim to the insurance company that insured you at the time of the damage. You have nothing to lose as it's already been reported, and you moved on to another insurer. You would only be out $500 v. $2,700.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Triplej and Warpath, thanks. I will be working both of those angles.

Warpath, no police report as by the time I had found shoulder to stop I had crossed into Mississippi and would have had to turn around to make the report. After the BS of the last six weeks, this incident and the way Gieco was handling it, and having another six hours on the road I just wanted to get home. The woman that caused it was long gone and it seemed pointless at the time.

Tdkkart...Gieco.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Sorry about the bad luck. I dont see how they can deny the claim, Comprehensive coverage covers anything, even if you knock it over sitting in the garage. I know every state is a little different, but it does not seem legitimate to me. I would push back and ask for the exact exclusions. Have you checked with your auto insurance company, if not the same? I think I remember hearing that if you have a trailer hooked to your turck then auto insurance covers it as well.

I have had great experience with State Farm on my bike when we went down, bent over backwards to take care of us. SImilar experiences with Allstate on cars.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Sorry about the bad luck. I dont see how they can deny the claim, Comprehensive coverage covers anything, even if you knock it over sitting in the garage. I know every state is a little different, but it does not seem legitimate to me. I would push back and ask for the exact exclusions. Have you checked with your auto insurance company, if not the same? I think I remember hearing that if you have a trailer hooked to your turck then auto insurance covers it as well.

X2 Their denying the claim is bogus. I would insist they process the claim and threaten to sue if they won't take it. If another adjuster jacks you around demand to speak to a supervisor.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Just to satisfy my curiosity I pulled my policy(Nationwide) and reviewed my exclusions. As I originally thought, none exist for not properly tying or securing down. Check your policy. I would have to think that most insurance companies follow a similar format with their standard exclusions. If the exclusion is not part of the policy and they still deny the claim, notify the department of insurance in your State. You can go on-line and file a complaint against the insurance company and they will have to respond to the allegations in a timely fashion (usually 10 days).

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Geico

That explains a lot right there

I would not have Geico or Progressive if someone paid my premiums for me

JtB
geico i can understand. i've heard alot of bad things about them. but i've had nothing but good service with progressive.

if you are avoiding them because of the peter lewis stuff, you do know that he hasn't been affiliated with them since 2000, 4 years before he donated a bunch of money to move on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I found my policy...Here is what is specifically stated on page 5:

"Part III

Coverage H: Coverage for Comprehensive Damage (Excluding Collision) to Your Cycle.

We will pay for direct and accidental loss to your covered cycle, other than by loss caused by collision, less the applicable deductible shown in the Declarations. Loss caused by breakage of glass, missiles, falling objects, fire, lightning, theft or larceny, explosion, earthquake, windstorm, hail, water, flood, malicious mischief or vandalism, or contact with a bird or animal shall not be deemed caused by collision."

The only exclusion that MIGHT apply is the last one which states:
"14. Any additional loss due to your failure to take reasonable steps to protect the motorcycle after an accident."

I just called my lawyer...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yeah, and I noticed yesterday that my fairing mounting holes are cracked and they are working themselves out. Initially I was going to let them off with just the bags and rear fender and I was going to paint it myself. Since they want to give me such ass pain I will make every tiny blemish part of this claim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got hit March 30th and it took me 3 months to finalize my claim with Geico. I had to use the threat of a lawyer to get them to move. They tried to total out my bike without informing me or allowing me to get a 2nd estimate. (against the law)

Geico is the worst insurance company on the planet when you actually NEED your insurance. My bike is due back in 3 week (not salvaged) but it cost me 2500 bucks out of my pocket to fix.....I will be shopping for a new company next month as well so I'm tuned in on this.

Word to the wise for those reading this...Even the shop fixing said Geico is a problem 100% of the claims. Pay a little extra brothers.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Geico

That explains a lot right there

I would not have Geico or Progressive if someone paid my premiums for me

JtB
+ A BIG One on this one. I would file the claim but drop every single policy you have with them. Hopefully you have more than bike coverage with them for a little leverage but I'm betting you will never see a dime.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have had great service (they handled everything and came to me) from Progressive on an auto claim (tornado damage) and a buddy who crashed his Ultra Limited also had great service from them on his claim. I had been shafted by State Farm in the past when my ex wrecked our car and then I found out that I was paying way too much for State Farm and the useless agent. I do have Bike-line (Markel American) on my bike and have not had any claims experience although I have heard good reports from others.

When my last bike got hit by a guy with Safe Auto I found out how much of a pain an insurance company can be, but after getting the state insurance commissioner's office involved things worked out.

Two pieces of insurance wisdom:
1.) what you are getting here, the experiences of others with service. Ignore the non-specific stuff (I don't like XYZ, they suck) and read the specific stuff ( I had a claim with XYZ and it was handled well)

2.) Shop around for price, this varies a lot and there is not one company that always beats the others. For me, bike-line had had the best price but that may not be the case for you.

Good luck!

·
Registered
158 Posts
The exclusion you reference would not apply in this situation. I think coverage would exist.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
[Word to the wise for those reading this...Even the shop fixing said Geico is a problem 100% of the claims. Pay a little extra brothers.[/QUOTE]

Surprisingly Geico and progressive were more expensive than State Farm and Allstate for me. Liek other people have said, everyone has different opinions and most are based on experience. I have been very well taken care of my Allstate and State Farm, and bonus for being reasonably priced compared to some of the other nationally advertised brands.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts