Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I have a 2017 Road Glide Special. I love my bike and have done several little upgrades already including adding a Hammock Heated Seat which I like. I also have a back rest for the rider. Six weeks ago, I had cervical disk surgery in my neck and am itching to get back to riding as soon as my surgeon releases me to normal activities. While I am waiting, I still have issue with my middle trap muscle aching at times due to knots. This was a problem before needing the surgery to a certain degree due to my posture when sitting on my motorcycle for any kind of distance. I noticed that the bars made me lean forward a little and when I lowered the bars and pulled them back towards me, I noticed that my arms started to droop and that added tension to my back.

I am looking for some upgraded handlebars that I can lean them back towards me a little more, that allow my body to sit up straight, and keep my arms more (natural) parallel. I would prefer bars that are comfortable for distant riding since that is something I enjoy doing. I am 5' 8 3/4" and have 33" arm length for my long sleeve shirts.

I know I gave a lot of information. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. When I have called dealerships or merchandise company's, I haven not been able to get confident, clear, guidance.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
760 Posts
You might look at the RG Ultra bars which measure just shy of 12” they will have the pull back needed to keep your posture in line

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,302 Posts
Most shops have bars you can "try" by sitting on the bike and having the P&A guy help you find the right position

Anything under 12 inches you can run stock cables.....anything over will require a cable kit ....yes, some have STRETCHED their cables to 13 in bars but IMHO, with all the wiring that is run for all the various jobs, piece of mind with the kit makes me rest easier

·
Registered
200 Posts
Some 14s work too. Factory 47 and KST do.
These are what I want. Fully adjustable pullback for your personal comfort.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Most shops have bars you can "try" by sitting on the bike and having the P&A guy help you find the right position

Anything under 12 inches you can run stock cables.....anything over will require a cable kit ....yes, some have STRETCHED their cables to 13 in bars but IMHO, with all the wiring that is run for all the various jobs, piece of mind with the kit makes me rest easier
Hello everyone,

I have a 2017 Road Glide Special. I love my bike and have done several little upgrades already including adding a Hammock Heated Seat which I like. I also have a back rest for the rider. Six weeks ago, I had cervical disk surgery in my neck and am itching to get back to riding as soon as my surgeon releases me to normal activities. While I am waiting, I still have issue with my middle trap muscle aching at times due to knots. This was a problem before needing the surgery to a certain degree due to my posture when sitting on my motorcycle for any kind of distance. I noticed that the bars made me lean forward a little and when I lowered the bars and pulled them back towards me, I noticed that my arms started to droop and that added tension to my back.

I am looking for some upgraded handlebars that I can lean them back towards me a little more, that allow my body to sit up straight, and keep my arms more (natural) parallel. I would prefer bars that are comfortable for distant riding since that is something I enjoy doing. I am 5' 8 3/4" and have 33" arm length for my long sleeve shirts.

I know I gave a lot of information. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. When I have called dealerships or merchandise company's, I haven not been able to get confident, clear, guidance.

Thanks,

Tim

·
Registered
6 Posts
I call bullshit I have these supposedly 16" more like 15" installed with stock clutch & brake lines put about 300 miles on them and decided to change them for 19" so I'm removing them this weekend they are for sale with the internal wiring

·
Registered
194 Posts
TMZ......
I have the same bike and also have the same stature as you. I am looking at bars as well so I have questions for the more experienced on our site, that may be a help in your hunt. What I am experiencing with the stock bars is the annoying tension pain in the middle of the shoulder blades when on rides longer than an hour. I do not, however have any back medical issues normally. My question is, what spec in bars pertains to the shoulder pain issue, height, width or pull back? I've noticed that stock RGU bars are 1" taller than RGS bars and have read here that some have changed to CVO bars. I don't know the specs on the CVOs. Would the slight change in height of the RGU bars make a difference? I am not a fan of large apes as I'd prefer to keep my hands below the height of my 12" freedom shield.

·
Registered
921 Posts
TMZ......
I have the same bike and also have the same stature as you. I am looking at bars as well so I have questions for the more experienced on our site, that may be a help in your hunt. What I am experiencing with the stock bars is the annoying tension pain in the middle of the shoulder blades when on rides longer than an hour. I do not, however have any back medical issues normally. My question is, what spec in bars pertains to the shoulder pain issue, height, width or pull back? I've noticed that stock RGU bars are 1" taller than RGS bars and have read here that some have changed to CVO bars. I don't know the specs on the CVOs. Would the slight change in height of the RGU bars make a difference? I am not a fan of large apes as I'd prefer to keep my hands below the height of my 12" freedom shield.
I found the middle of the shoulder blades was caused by width - so I went with narrow bars when I swapped my 13.5" h x 37"w bars to 16"h x 31"w; that solved the middle shoulder blades issue, it felt like I could hold up a piece of paper with my shoulder muscles prior.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I had a set made from JSR Customs. They have bars available "bad attitude" that have a bend at the bottom to bring them closer to you, about 2" if I remember right, I called and had him make them about 3" closer. For the same price even. Great customer service!

·
Registered
185 Posts
There’re so many good threads on here about bars. There’s a ton of variability in fit and design. I’d say read a bunch of threads followed by some manufacturer web surfing. Then sit on different bikes to get a feel for what you prefer. I just ordered my new bars from FMB Choppers. The specs are right but many options have the right specs. So my decision was based on my favorite design. I like looking at them.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Take a look at KST's Spearhead. Offers a bunch of adjustment.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Some 14s work too. Factory 47 and KST do.
These are what I want. Fully adjustable pullback for your personal comfort.
I have them, got 'em for the adjustability. The wires work fine, the stock brake and clutch lines did not. Fit & finish on the bars is spectacular, and installation - including internally wiring heated grips - was a snap (I did an install thread somewhere). You'll need to up the torque on the mounting bolts. At the stock spec (30 ft-#) a rough road would have the bars moving.

Oh, and they're very, very comfortable.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Take a look at KST's Spearhead. Offers a bunch of adjustment.

Just watched the video. Those are pretty cool! I like the adjustability.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The next set of bars I get will likely be the spearheads. I like my current KSTs, so it’ll be a while.
My next bars will be taller! I didn't heed the add 2" to the height you want physiology....

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 28 Posts