Road Glide banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got measured at my local dealer, and I am going with Fat Baggers FBI 1 1/4" EZ Install Pointed Top Series 12 inch. I am 5’8” . I Hade my seat redone at MeanCIty Cycles so, where I sit and my reach these were the best option. I will post when I get them and install them. The shop wants 8 hrs of time to do the job so I am gonna give it a wack myself! Hell I am a jet engine mechanic, I hope I can figure this out!:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Honestly that's the best advice I've gotten on any forum. I would never have gotten 14" bars. And I would have been disappointed.
I even did the "hold a broomstick where you want " trick too! Was happy at 14"!

Should have listened...

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Honestly that's the best advice I've gotten on any forum. I would never have gotten 14" bars. And I would have been disappointed.
That works for many but when I was looking at the KST bars I sat on a RG that had 12's on it and they felt great. So when I went to buy them I remembered that advice and got the 14's. Right away I felt like it was a mistake but It did experiment with moving them back and forth until it felt better. Over time I got used to them but never enamored with them. I do have a bum shoulder so maybe that's why the taller bars didn't work for me. I just went to the moto bar setup and I am blown away with how they feel. Taller is not always better for everyone but those people will know who they are. I just wish I had gone with my 1st instinct and I may not have kept looking at bar setups and end up spending more money.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
That works for many but when I was looking at the KST bars I sat on a RG that had 12's on it and they felt great. So when I went to buy them I remembered that advice and got the 14's. Right away I felt like it was a mistake but It did experiment with moving them back and forth until it felt better. Over time I got used to them but never enamored with them. I do have a bum shoulder so maybe that's why the taller bars didn't work for me. I just went to the moto bar setup and I am blown away with how they feel. Taller is not always better for everyone but those people will know who they are. I just wish I had gone with my 1st instinct and I may not have kept looking at bar setups and end up spending more money.
Interesting. My back and left wrist are screwed, and the 14s worked for me.

In hindsight, I wish I'd looked harder at the T-bar/motobar options. Don't know that I would have gotten the heated grip wiring through them, but they'd probably be more suited to the way I ride.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have the same physical specs and the OP and I had back surgery about 7 years ago for the same reason and a myriad of other self inflicted abuse. What I will tell you is that the best way to “start” looking for bars is to have a buddy stand and hold the front tire of your bike. Sit yourself on the bike and close your eyes. Put your hands where you want them, where your back feels good. Be creative. Narrow, wide, high, low. When you find a spot, have your buddy take a measurement from a consistent location — height and pullback width of your hand position—and write it down.

Walk away and come back a half hour later and do it again, compare results. When you start getting consistent results, you can start searching for those measurements or start asking who can make you custom bars.

I made a set out of PVC pipe this winter and mounted them up so I could check and recheck while it was on the stand. As someone mentioned previously, once you have your measurements, add 2” to the height and you have your bars - now find them. Everyone is different. Everyone has different seats, positions, tilt etc. the best bet is to get a starting point from where your hands and arms and back want to be. Don’t rush. Bars are a chore, they’re expensive and once they’re on they become instantly non-returnable. Funny how the most personal items on our bikes (windshield, bars, seat) are insanely expensive yet the second they touch the bike, you’re pregnant with them. Wouldn’t it be nice to try multiple seats in one day?

Anyways, try that method. It’s worked well for me. I’ve found that my solution to long term comfort is to hang em high and push them forward. If I pull back, I slouch. I had Vindikta make me a set to my exact specs and I’m pretty darn pleased. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
921 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Make some out of PVC. You will be able to find your reach and pullback that you are comfortable with for under $10 well worth the investment before you spend hundreds. My .02..

21 - 28 of 28 Posts