Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup fellas, I can really use your help on this one -

So, this August with a few guys I will be going on a cross country trip in August from NY to Cali with stops at Sturgis, a number of State National parks, a few Ghost towns and will be riding through the desert. It will be a 3 week trip, 8000 miles with half the time overnighting in hotels the other half camping out. If it was you going, what specific items/creature comforts would you bring with you to be as comfortable as possible without being overloaded with a ton of crap. I.E. specific type tents that are motorcycle friendly, packages of underwear, wear once then throw out ETC....

My ride will be on a either 2020 RGL or I'll know by tomorrow a 2022 RGL :)

·
Premium Member
22 Road Glide
121 Posts
I guess it depends on your interests. RT 66 comes to mind. I am looking at a trip just for the WigWam Motels. I think there are only 3 left. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigwam_Motel
The Corner in Winslow AZ, take a picture with a flatbed ford.
Oatman AZ cool little town with a Cowboy gunfight on Main street around Noon.
Devils Tower is pretty cool looking.
The 4 corners

·
Registered
65 Posts

So, this August with a few guys I will be going on a cross country trip in August from NY to Cali with stops at Sturgis, a number of State National parks, a few Ghost towns and will be riding through the desert. It will be a 3 week trip, 8000 miles with half the time overnighting in hotels the other half camping out. If it was you going, what specific items/creature comforts would you bring with you to be as comfortable as possible without being overloaded with a ton of crap. I.E. specific type tents that are motorcycle friendly, packages of underwear, wear once then throw out ETC....

Be prepared for all four seasons, full face helmet, check roadside assistance, phone and credit card, flat tire repair supplies, flexible wire, vice grips (2) to name a few.

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
1,132 Posts

sounds like an excellent trip!!
I used a thermarest sport sleeping pad, light weight, rolled small. There’s many more options now.
after using various single man tents I found a basic Coleman worked just as good as a high dollar one. I borrowed it once.
A couple large trash trash bags to place your boots etc in exterior to tent.
Baby wipes.
A river water bag and web bungee to put beer and ice in at last town before camp ground or rest area table.
In the dessert, stop often even if you don’t feel like it. You’re not use to it. Drink a bottle of water. Allot. You’ll feel better at the end of the day. Stay hydrated.
I always wore a camel pack on the long hauls. Especially out west. You can get ice and dump it in. May not look cool, but I’m not a cool dude.
Ass loads more bit my coffee is getting cold!

🍺 and enjoy your cruise!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Northern New Mexico is dealing with some large and formidable wildfires right now. Impacted areas could include Taos, Angel Fire, Red River.

Though your ride is long off, it's been a very dry several months out west. Just something to consider and plan around if necessary.

·
Registered
'22 RG ST
70 Posts
At your stops in the desert ice down the front and back of your shirt is a nice break from the scorching heat. It'll get you about 50 miles of refreshment going down the road.
I have put ice in my helmet at stops as well.
Be prepared for all 4 seasons.
Pack all your gear in dry bags.
Sunscreen and chapstick.
Pocket snacks. Healthy choices.
Knife and a lighter.
Water and a filtration method.

Be ready to change course if cool stuff is discovered. Don't lock yourself into plans.
Being on the road is about having fun. Always sticking to a set and rigid schedule sucks, a lot.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I’d take the northern route and see and see glacier park and then down the Pacific coast line, not sure if you want to do the desert in August!
Not feeling the desert in August either. If there ever was a concern, this is the leg that I‘m a bit uneasy about. Just don’t know what to expect.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts