Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
At your stops in the desert ice down the front and back of your shirt is a nice break from the scorching heat. It'll get you about 50 miles if refreshment going down the road.
I have put ice in my helmet at stops as well.
Be prepared for all 4 seasons.
Pack all your gear in dry bags.
Sunscreen and chapstick.
Pocket snacks. Healthy choices.
Knife and a lighter.
Water and a filtration method.

Be ready to change course if cool stuff is discovered. Don't lock yourself into plans.
Being on the road is about having fun. Always sticking to a set and rigid schedule sucks, a lot.
Great advise

·
Registered
'22 RG ST
69 Posts
Not feeling the desert in August either. If there ever was a concern, this is the leg that I‘m a bit uneasy about. Just don’t know what to expect.

I went from Bryce Canyon through the desert and to Blanding. Hot as fuck that day.
I got hotel room in Blanding. I called ahead from Torrey. I asked them to have the AC on in the room before I arrived.
I checked in. Got to my room. Stripped down buck naked and stood in front of the AC for 15 minutes. The following day I was in Moab for lunch, it was 112° and climbing at 11:30.
That helped make my decision to run for the Sawtooths in Idaho. It was a balmy 70° in Stanley.

·
Registered
2011 RGU
2,233 Posts
If you haven't ever been in the desert it is difficult to understand. I was stationed at 29 Palms in 1990. They made you wait 30 days after you arrived before you were allowed to do any outside PT. On some days all outside activity was stopped between 12 and 6. This was the Marine Corps in the early 1990's when it was still allowed to cuss, demean, and lay hands on people to "adjust" "equipment or posture" when necessary. I remember getting a nose bleed for the first time in my life because it was so dry. I also remember a day where 10 of us were tearing down a whole bunch of GP tents. We each drank 3 big 32 oz bottles of gatorade while we working before the noon deadline. When it was time to leave we realized not a single one of us had taken a piss. I love the desert, but it is definitely something to prepare for, and you should always have water or something to rehydrate yourself with. Always.

·
Registered
2012 big blue pearl r.g. custom,chris rivas 574 cams. Rinehart extreme 4" RSD air cleaner barrnett c
252 Posts
I have rode to sturgis twice from central cali. The desert can be brutal in August! I took a camalback both times it dont look cool like Mo rider said but at least you can stay hydrated. PCH is a great ride, Stop at Neptunes Net on PCH on ventura county line the veiws are great

Glenn

·
Registered
441 Posts
Just curious why you’d have to walk your bike ? Traffic so bad it begins overheating??
Cow Town Sturgis SD gains several hundred thousand people first week of August.
My trips were 1989, 1996, 2002 - and it was a smaller event back then.
Motor vehicle Motorcycle Crowd Automotive tire Vehicle

Hulett WY Ham Jam, Sundance WY Street Drags were interesting and less congested.
Even hit a traffic jam to Mount Rushmore and The Needles.
Went on a Big Horn Mountain range ride Buffalo to Ten Sleep - it actually snowed in the upper elevations.

·
Shark of the Month October 13
10,922 Posts
Under the heading of "Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore", check around that rock or log that you plan to sit on when you stop for a quick break along the western roads ..... or when you're doing a camping night. Lots of creepy, crawly things out west that can harm you if you're not used to looking for them BEFORE you sit or lie down.

·
Premium Member
2018 FLTRX
1,127 Posts
Any thoughts about taking a coastal route south instead of traverse the desert?
Yea, completely doable, just Your riding days may be filled with fatigue. Walk in beer coolers were my friend.

The south west is beautiful and everyone should ride it. I would leave around 0200 most trips when possible. Had $$$&. In lighting. August….. 😶

look into the evaporating gel filled scarves. Put spare ones in a ziploc.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts