Road Glide banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Is there anyone making a replacement head unit for 2012 that has a flip up screen for GPS / NAV. I don't want to have to mod the inner faring if I don't have to.

RB

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ratings looked pretty bad. I'm surprised no one else makes one. I would think there would be a great market for it just in the motorcycle end.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Pioneer and Alpine both make "Flip" out single Din Radios with Nav and Gps, That are better quality than that Clarion.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Any chance you have model numbers or links to either of them?

Wade
I know I seen a couple Custom Bikes on Bike Week that were booth Alpine and Pioneer Units with GPS built in, But I didn't catch any Particular model numbers on them..Sorry Bud. I know most of the Pioneer "AVIC" Series Headunits come with Nav and Dvd playback on them, But they are double-Din not Single I believe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Pioneer used to make a unit. The Avic N1.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-N1

While it's no longer made, they can be found on the net NIB and used for decent prices.

There are two major issues with this design, and I think thats what made them obsolete.

I had one in my Road Glide for about one month. It was a horrible experience while the bike was moving down the road. The screen that comes out would bounce and flop around. I thought it was an issue with mine, but had it warrantied and the replacement did the same thing.

They are designed to be in cars, and are made up of 2 seperate boxes.
The single DIN unit that has the controls and display, and another GPS box.

This takes up a lot of space in the fairing and has to be mounted perfectly either level and NOT off axis somehow. Which required me to fab a mount.

Anyway, if you are looking for something to play while being parked this might be acceptable, but going down a bumpy road or highway at speed makes this unit completley worthless.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Pioneer used to make a unit. The Avic N1.
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-N1

While it's no longer made, they can be found on the net NIB and used for decent prices.

There are two major issues with this design, and I think thats what made them obsolete.

I had one in my Road Glide for about one month. It was a horrible experience while the bike was moving down the road. The screen that comes out would bounce and flop around. I thought it was an issue with mine, but had it warrantied and the replacement did the same thing.

They are designed to be in cars, and are made up of 2 seperate boxes.
The double DIN unit that has the controls and display, and another GPS box.

This takes up a lot of space in the fairing and has to be mounted perfectly either level and NOT off axis somehow. Which required me to fab a mount.

Anyway, if you are looking for something to play while being parked this might be acceptable, but going down a bumpy road or highway at speed makes this unit completley worthless.
I always wondered how those Units would work in a Motorcycle environment. I figure they would be jumping around a bit, The Screen sliding in and out of the Radio-Eventually something would break under stress---I heard of one that broke with the screen halfway out of the Radio-and it wouldn't move any more in any direction.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts