Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading back to Charleston, SC tomorrow with the wife and a minivan full of crap (and yes, I am trailering the bike) for the Christmas & New Years holidays with the in-laws. to escape from the inlaws, I usually get a few days for day trips. My usual is 78/178 toward Columbia or following 17 down to Savannah, GA or Beaufort. Where else should I look to go? Where are good riding roads? The Low Country is beautiful in it's own way, but I am used to hills and curves, which are in very short supply. Any dealers worth a visit? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Yes, Thunder Tower HD just off I-20 in Pontiac, SC, just east of Columbia, where I bought my first new Harley! The Preston's are a great bunch of people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Thunder Tower HD just off I-20 in Pontiac, SC, just east of Columbia, where I bought my first new Harley! The Preston's are a great bunch of people

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks. I agree that they are good people. Rode their on my '08 Ultra a long time ago and they changed a rear tire while I waited.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
When near the Beaufort area, be sure to check out the Old Sheldon Church near Yemassee, SC. A special place with a long history...

Growing up in the Lowcountry, I always enjoy riding out to the Beaches or around Edisto, & Young's Islands, not challenging, all flat, just some really nice rural roads meandering through the Salt Marshes, "smell the roses" type riding...

Good folks at Lowcountry HD!

·
Registered
8,296 Posts
If you ride down towards Savannah, you can jump over on 80 west and head toward Statesboro. Any roads off the main drag up there quickly turn into country roads with some dips and turns running through the cotton fields and cow paddies.
A ride in the other direction on 80 will take you out to Tybee Island . Not very exciting roads , but it's a visually pleasant ride.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Heading back to Charleston, SC tomorrow with the wife and a minivan full of crap (and yes, I am trailering the bike) for the Christmas & New Years holidays with the in-laws. to escape from the inlaws, I usually get a few days for day trips. My usual is 78/178 toward Columbia or following 17 down to Savannah, GA or Beaufort. Where else should I look to go? Where are good riding roads? The Low Country is beautiful in it's own way, but I am used to hills and curves, which are in very short supply. Any dealers worth a visit? Thanks in advance!
Man, what a great plan that is! Get south out of the snow and ice and freezing temps from up north here with the scooter for a week. Get some riding in while at the in-laws. Let no one say you are not a smart dude! Safe travels.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Head up to Santee State Park then loop north around the north end of the lake (Wateree then Wedgwood) and drop back down through the Manchester State forest. That should give you about a 4 hour ride.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sunny and 75 on Christmas, and got a short ride in. Raining and 50s today and I forgot the rainsuit. Tomorrow and Wednesday, I'm going to take these suggestions and hit the road, Many thanks.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
Make sure you go to Swig and Swine BBQ while you are there. You won't be disappointed....

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Make sure you go to Swig and Swine BBQ while you are there. You won't be disappointed....
Great call on Swig and Swine. Had the daily special of Burned End Pork with bleu cheese slaw on top with a side of hash & gravy. Awesome and 2 meals worth of food. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When near the Beaufort area, be sure to check out the Old Sheldon Church near Yemassee, SC. A special place with a long history...

Growing up in the Lowcountry, I always enjoy riding out to the Beaches or around Edisto, & Young's Islands, not challenging, all flat, just some really nice rural roads meandering through the Salt Marshes, "smell the roses" type riding...

Good folks at Lowcountry HD!
Took your advice (and pictures) with a beautiful round trip near Edisto and down to Bennetts Point and then up 21 to see and take pictures of the Old Sheldon Church. Not many curves, but a great ride. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Took your advice (and pictures) with a beautiful round trip near Edisto and down to Bennetts Point and then up 21 to see and take pictures of the Old Sheldon Church. Not many curves, but a great ride. Thanks!!!

Yep, back in the day, we used to ride the girls down to the Old Sheldon Church during the full moon in the Springtime,,, 'Had some "Religious Experiences" there... :grin:

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got Christmas with my family on Saturday. Will then download the pics from over Christmas. (I'm lazy!) Took a lot of the ruins and it is a very storied location.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts