Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being new to the touring models and just getting my feet wet on long rides I am looking for suggestions for a better seat for the longer trips. Right now I am still riding with the stock seat on my 2015 RGS and learned this past weekend I don't quite like sitting on it after the first hour none the less 4 hours latter.

I am 6'3'' and I would like something comfortable but not big and bulky any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Agree with the backrest. Go to your local dealer and they should have some loaner sheets for you to try. I have a HD Hammock and love it but it is big.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We started with the Harley Sundowner, sold it. Now have the Hammock with rider backrest and love it, larger than most seats though. Friend of mine calls it the couch.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Like others, a backrest is the best for very long trips. They can also turn a just okay seat into a much better seat. I had a Harley Hammock that was quite comfortable when I first got it but it became apparent that on longer rides it was inadequate and I'd get lower back back pain and pressure on my tailbone. I added a Mustang back rest and it was nothing less than magical how it transformed that seat.

That said, I really don't like backrests for the driver on bikes. So when I went looking for a new seat for a new bike I tried to find something that had a deep enough cut to provide a little support for the lower back. For me the Le Pera Maverick fit the bill. Great seat and I don't need a backrest. But I also do not ride super long. If I did I would get a Le Pera Maverick or Route 66 with a built in (but removable) backrest.

Seats are SO subjective. There's the Corbin crowd that likes a very hard seat for long riding. Then there's the medium density crowd like Le Pera and Mustang. Then there's the pillow top types like the Zeppelin. And everything in between. Oh, and don't forget about the custom guys like Danny Gray and Russell Day Long. And then there's the guys that will take your seat and customize it. It never ends.

First you need to find out what type of seat you like - hard, medium, soft. That will narrow it down. From there you can start to try different seats. Most of your larger HD places have seat demo programs which can help you try their offerings and get an idea. After that you have to research and read reviews and find places with great return policies so you can try out seats. Be careful on these though as many dealers don't allow returns on seats that have been installed. So if it shows ANY sign of wear or installation they'll reject it.

The best thing you can do read detailed reviews and hope someone makes enough of an impression to sway you. I wrote a very long and VERY detailed review of my recent process in selecting the Le Pera. A few people have read that and made the move and been happy.

It would also help to know your weight, physical condition, typical road types and conditions, passenger presence, experience and how long you've been riding. But even armed with all that knowledge, it still comes down to personal preference.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The stock seat is great. I also have the CVO 2 piece seat, but it packs down after 10hrs in the saddle and doesn't rebound for weeks. For long trips, I use the stock seat.

I had a heated hammock on my 14 Limited. It was a touch more comfy than the RGS stock seat, but also seemed to pass on more heat to my man vegetables. :)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a 36" inseam, and I'm currently riding on a Mustang Wide Tripper solo. Overall I like the seat, but I find the lack of lower back support uncomfortable on longer hauls. I've been considering switching to either the Mustang vintage solo or super solo for the long runs.

·
Registered
2,934 Posts
Well, I'm one of the hard seat Corbin fans. I've been riding Corbin seats for over 13 years. I have had them on three different bikes and just put one on the new 15 Roadglide. Once you've put a 1000 miles on that seat, it will be broke in and you are good for 16 hour days if you want. I use the driver backrest and never a problem doing big mileage. The good thing about Corbin, you buy one and you go by their place in California, they will custom fit the seat to you. Even if you ordered on line and go in later.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The stock seat is great. I also have the CVO 2 piece seat, but it packs down after 10hrs in the saddle and doesn't rebound for weeks. For long trips, I use the stock seat.

I had a heated hammock on my 14 Limited. It was a touch more comfy than the RGS stock seat, but also seemed to pass on more heat to my man vegetables. :)
I take this back. I was wrong. Stock seat is only good for a single day ride. I just returned from a 4 day ride. Days 2,3, and 4 were hell after 2 hours unless I could wrangle in a 15 minute stop. Bit hard to do when your mates don't want to stop.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Being new to the touring models and just getting my feet wet on long rides I am looking for suggestions for a better seat for the longer trips. Right now I am still riding with the stock seat on my 2015 RGS and learned this past weekend I don't quite like sitting on it after the first hour none the less 4 hours latter.

I am 6'3'' and I would like something comfortable but not big and bulky any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
Roland Sands seat

Attachments

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.