Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok. I need suggestions. Sorry to make another thread. I know there is a wealth of info here and I've read a lot of it. I'll try to keep my questions somewhat pointed.

Basics
I'm 5'10". Probably a 31" inseam. Pretty average in stature and normally proportioned, I think.

What I've Got
My bike is a 2007 and I currently have what I believe is a 12" Harley Windsplitter mounted. It's not "aweful" at speed, but it's definitely not great. It seems the buffeting is the worst around 60-65, and cleans up a bit at 85 or so. I do notice turbulent air even at low speeds in the city, between stop signs. It's not horrible while slow, but it is there and annoying.

I also have a 4" black strip. It gives nice and clean air at low speed, but on the highway it makes for quite a bit of a faceblast, and, again, turbulent air which varies from meh to horrible depending on the wind direction, surrounding traffic, etc.

What I'd Like
A screen that looks good (dark, streamlined, not too big), allows enough air to make me feel vented and keep me cool-ish on a warm day, stays still and doesn't flop around too much, feels as close to clean air as possible.

Potential Solutions
After reading the threads it looks like the 12" Freedom or 12" Windvest might be the ticket. I see some folks around my size have also tried the 10" Windvest with some success. Again, I'm thinking shorter is better for my purposes.

Maybe the ticket is to order several from Freedom and make good use of their return policy.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh, and I also have a Fat Bob which I don't run any screen on. Smooth, clean, un-impeded air is by far the most pleasant when it's nice out, but the Road Glide offers different luxuries I want, just without having my head bashed around. Smooth air flow = good. Nasty turbulent air = headaches. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ok. I need suggestions. Sorry to make another thread. I know there is a wealth of info here and I've read a lot of it. I'll try to keep my questions somewhat pointed.

Basics
I'm 5'10". Probably a 31" inseam. Pretty average in stature and normally proportioned, I think.

What I've Got
I currently have what I believe is a 12" Harley Windsplitter. It's not "aweful" at speed, but it's definitely not great. It seems the buffeting is the worst around 60-65, and cleans up a bit at 85 or so. I do notice turbulent air even at low speeds in the city, between stop signs. It's not horrible while slow, but it is there and annoying.

I also have a 4" black strip. It gives nice and clean air at low speed, but on the highway it makes for quite a bit of a faceblast, and, again, turbulent air which varies from meh to horrible depending on the wind direction, surrounding traffic, etc.

What I'd Like
A screen that looks good (dark, streamlined, not too big), allows enough air to make me feel vented and keep me cool-ish on a warm day, stays still and doesn't flop around too much, feels as close to clean air as possible.

Potential Solutions
After reading the threads it looks like the 12" Freedom or 12" Windvest might be the ticket. I see some folks around my size have also tried the 10" Windvest with some success. Again, I'm thinking shorter is better for my purposes.

Maybe the ticket is to order several from Freedom and make good use of their return policy.

Thanks in advance.
I'm your height and about the same inseam. I've tried quite a few on your list, and various sizes. My personal favorite (looks, and the function you are seeking) is the 14" Klockwerks sport flare. Personal opinion, and the others are not bad, but that is the one I preferred. Hope that helps. I have a 15 RGS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: hammer1

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Are you done with your seat? if not, do that first. Always loved the freedom shields for looks and quality, really built well.

Ive got a madstad on mine now..just too adaptable for every condition...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm your height and about the same inseam. I've tried quite a few on your list, and various sizes. My personal favorite (looks, and the function you are seeking) is the 14" Klockwerks sport flare. Personal opinion, and the others are not bad, but that is the one I preferred. Hope that helps. I have a 15 RGS.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Thanks! Klockwerks seem to get mixed reviews. I should have added that I have an '07. It seems folks with the newer model bikes seem to like the Klockwerks better than those with older bikes. Is that a correct assessment do you think?

Are you done with your seat? if not, do that first. Always loved the freedom shields for looks and quality, really built well.

Ive got a madstad on mine now..just too adaptable for every condition...
Freedom seems to get near unanimous praise. The biggest frustration in selecting a screen for my other bikes is the constant buying and reselling. The ability to over-buy and return is a huge plus!

Good point on the seat. I currently have a touring "sofa" on it (came with), but I think I'll put the stocker and see how I like that. Thanks for the tip!

·
Administrator
12,480 Posts
I have LRS, never had any problems, and love how they look.

Reactions: Swomack

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heh. Looks like I might just have to suck it up and do what I've done before -- try a bunch of different screens and resell the ones that don't work. Unless I can get it right the first time or have success with one of the Freedom screens (which seems to be the only vendor that takes returns...).

·
Registered
6,550 Posts
Swap out your seat first for better comfort and looks and then go from there - You are close to my Size (I'm 5'11 with a 34 inseam) and I run a seat that has me down and back 1 inch - I have the Memphis Shade 6.5 in Black and I think it is the best looking thing out there in terms of an all black front and protection - Plenty of pics of it in my Garage and Album as I have run it on 3 RG's now

It does everything you are asking for me - Protection but not enough to where I don't feel like I am on a bike, zero buffeting for me and even before I added new shitty speakers and a shitty amp and just ran the stock crap, I could hear my tunes at 80+ MPH just fine

Don't know if they make them for Pre Rushmore but check them out as well

·
Registered
962 Posts
LRS 12". I'm your height and inseam. Med tint. It works really well at all speeds. And the stereo is easy to hear. I have no buffering and the Mrs says the same thing. I had the 12" klockworks on previous and the buffering was a tad bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts