Road Glide banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2011 stock 103ci with RC slip-ons and Ness Big Sucker AC. Have purchased a de-catted stock pipe. Not necessarily looking for performance as much as having it run a bit richer and therefore a bit cooler. Ride literally from sea level to 6,200'. It supposedly was reflashed when they installed the Big Sucker, what am I likely to run into as far as needing to tune it after installing the de-catted stock head pipes? Should it run fine as is? Or will I need to have it flashed or add an aftermarket tuner. I don't intend to do other engine mods. Just want to cut down the intake and exhaust restrictions and get it to run cooler.

Thanks in advance for your guidance.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The '09 SERG had a V&H FuelPak on it when I got it 6/12, I like it! Good bang for the $$

·
Shark of the Month October 13
7,051 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input. I guess there are several options for making it run a little richer without getting into a full tuner.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I live in Mesa, AZ where summertime temperatures routinely exceed 110 degrees and I've seen them up to 122. So the heat issue on my '11 Ultra is a BIG deal. I don't generally ride when it's over 105 degrees - but with the heat this engine is putting off, anything over 97-98 is really uncomfortable.

First, I replaced the stock head pipe with a de-catted OEM. The bike seemed to run marginally cooler. Although, this was in December, so it was hard to tell.

Looking for more cooling, I put a Power Commander V on it and used the canned map for my set up. (Stock header, SE air cleaner and Bassani Megaphone mufflers.) I think the map was written for a stock header with the cat - because I saw no improvement.

Took the bike to a local shop for a dyno and ground-up map build. He told me that with the stock head pipe, he couldn't do it, because he couldn't get the sensor close enough to the front exhaust port. He offered to put an S&S head pipe on it, because it had the 18mm bung needed for his sensor. I didn't put the Bassani pipes on it, in the first place and figured that if I had to go that far - I was going to replace everything.

A week or so later, I talked to another local shop where they were running a special on V&H systems. He mentioned that he had a used auto tune set up for my Power Commander, with only about 800 miles on it, that he would sell me for about half of retail ($250.00).

So, Tuesday morning, they are going to install a set of Vance & Hines Power Dual headers, Monster Oval mufflers and the Autotune system. ($1550. installed - not too shabby.) In theory - all of this and the canned map from DynoJet for the V&H system should eliminate the heat issue. I'll let you know how it works out...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just finished installing a Jackpot 2-1-2 head pipe, a high flow intake (fuel moto) and a PC-5 mapped by FM for my set-up on my 2011 RGU 103. Kept the stock mufflers for now. Sound improved marginally. The oil temps I saw in the 260 range on a 90 deg day are now running 220-230 or so. My oil would hit 250 on my ride to work, about 20 miles. Now it's 220 or so. The heat from the head pipe is very much reduced. The improvement is nothing short of amazing. I think you would like this set-up.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Contrary to opinion I put a stock catless headpipe on my wife's '10 CVO SG without a retune. It runs and sounds great, has more snap, and (most importanly) she's happy. :):):)

Stephen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts