Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all,
I want to replace the original stereo and fairing speakers but looking to stay low cost ($500 or less if possible). Any good ideas?

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
319 Posts
What color

If it's that hideous orange and black color scheme. Do yourself a favor and just sell it to me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine is the silver/black/charcoal paint scheme. I have the original stereo and speakers. The stereo finally gave up the ghost. I don't want to go all tech crazy replacing the stereo, just want something that will fit in the original slot that I can plug my iPod into, and a solid set of speakers (anything has got to be better than stock). I am trying to stay away from an amp unless that is just necessary to get good reproductive sound out of the speakers at highway speeds.

Thank you for any advice. I have reviewed a few threads on this site and was overwhelmed at the sophistication and details that went into some of the upgrades......truly amazing, but alas, my wallet will not allow me to go down that path. :(

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
122 Posts
I put a $500 system together for my '01. I used a Sony head unit ($100), Rockford Fosgate pbr300x2 amp ($170), and a set of Kicker 6.5" speakers ($70). Adapters for bigger speakers ($50) and Crutchfield install kit ($40). Handlebar controls ($70).

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I put a $500 system together for my '01. I used a Sony head unit ($100), Rockford Fosgate pbr300x2 amp ($170), and a set of Kicker 6.5" speakers ($70). Adapters for bigger speakers ($50) and Crutchfield install kit ($40). Handlebar controls ($70).
Did you purchase everything through crutchfield?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another question.....will a standard head unit work or should I look for a marine unit? Wasn't sure if a regular head unit would survive weather?

Eric

·
Registered
740 Posts
issues with after market Head Units seem to be vibration related rather than getting wet. I like the sony media player with the door in it that accepts your iPod. I have several iPods the kids got tired of. Charging and handlebar controls are key.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Lots of room in your tourpak when you remove the disc changer as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts