Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2013 fltrx. Need to upgrade shocks. Any recommendations. I've heard good things about ohlins... some advice would help before spending.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Lots of threads on this subject. Most here will direct you to Howard at Motorcyclemetal.com for Ohlins shocks. Smarty on here is another great resource. I've read good things about Supershox as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
I have the HD premiums on my 2011 FLTRX and am more than happy, also bought them of another member for a good deal, sold my progressives and my wife liked them way better when riding two up because i can dial in the correct adjustment for our combined wieght, best shock i have ever ran to be honest. But it all comes down to how much you want to spend, im sure olins are great but there out of my budget.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've just ordered JRI single adjustables. I'll update you once I've received and installed them.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Are we talking rear shocks or front and back

Reactions: Punishher7

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have full progressive set up, though was good or at lease twice better then stock when new.
Spend once save latter.
+1 Calling Howard

Reactions: turbochrisb

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
The 16 has the premium shocks and they're night and day better than the stock air shocks I had on my 11 and my 08. I can't see dropping 700+ on a shock that's likely only marginally better than one you can get for a couple hundred on here or ebay. I'd buy the take offs from a guy who drank the kool-aid. Lol.

No offense to you gus who spent that money. More power to ya.

Reactions: 15 Mr.Mike

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
IMO figure out your budget first..If no limit then go for it..BUT IMO plan to do the front and rear into the plan...you really have to upgrade the forks to realize what a Harley can (should) be like..I spent around $725 shipped on my suspension parts..Ordered the 2017 13 inch (by individual parts not the kit) and progressive monotubes...from Jon at Horny toad HD for the shocks, eastern performance price matched amazon for the front. Also did chrome fork legs while it was apart...dfference is rediculous...totally different bike...Really wish I would have done it to my last 2010...wasted alot of miles that could have been way more fun!!would recommend for anyone, regardless of year, after seat and shield, even before stage 1...good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
you really have to upgrade the forks to realize what a Harley can (should) be like..
Yep, especially on a Pre-Rushmore HD...

On "The Short Bus" the Front End was the Pig...

For any Good Suspension, the Front & Rear have to play well together...

+1 on Smarty,, 'Knows what he's doing,,, Easy to Deal with,,, Very Competitive $$$

Reactions: mastergunnera8

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The 16 has the premium shocks and they're night and day better than the stock air shocks I had on my 11 and my 08. I can't see dropping 700+ on a shock that's likely only marginally better than one you can get for a couple hundred on here or ebay. I'd buy the take offs from a guy who drank the kool-aid. Lol.

+1 on this , thats how i got my premiums, underrated shock IMO.

·
Registered
8,825 Posts
+1 on this , thats how i got my premiums, underrated shock IMO.
Can't say I agree totally with RFG, but MC shocks are wayyyy over priced. Even though the newer oem shocks are better than the air oem, they are not as nice as Ohlins, or Super Shox . Are the aftermarket shocks $3 -$9 bill better than the oem adjustable, probably not, but they are better. :)

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Well it all comes down to budget IMO, i cant afford to pay 600 to 800 clams for shocks nor would i , im sure they are slightly better but not a nite to day difference, the premiums are adjustable to specific wieght, me and a few other members really like them over progressives and some other brands, and if you can buy take offs thats a deal right there.

·
Registered
6,545 Posts

Respectfully, I disagree - I have had both a '16 and a '15 and the stocks were both crap - For what I want in a Susp, it is the best $$ I have ever spent on a bike - I want bumps to have less of an impact and when I am leaned over, I don't want a pogo stick - Both Bikes had no answer for either.

Ride a Sofa with Stock Susp down a "tester road" (we all have one) and then throw on some aftermarkets and you'll wonder what took you so long - I could have gone Super Shox or Progressive (which I ran on my old FXDX) but I saved up the few undo more and went with the best of the best - There is a reason every rider who uses their bike t make a living (Race) runs Ohlins - Feel means the diff between finishing and DNF - I am not comparing our Sofas to race bikes but the Co and the Product stands head and shoulders above the rest.....IMHO

Can't say enough good things about working with @Smarty on this and I regret not a penny spent

·
Registered
491 Posts
Anything aftermarket will be an improvement over stock. Figure out your budget and go from there. Do yourself a favor and do the front suspension too, you won't regret it.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
Respectfully, I disagree - I have had both a '16 and a '15 and the stocks were both crap - For what I want in a Susp, it is the best $$ I have ever spent on a bike - I want bumps to have less of an impact and when I am leaned over, I don't want a pogo stick - Both Bikes had no answer for either.

Ride a Sofa with Stock Susp down a "tester road" (we all have one) and then throw on some aftermarkets and you'll wonder what took you so long - I could have gone Super Shox or Progressive (which I ran on my old FXDX) but I saved up the few undo more and went with the best of the best - There is a reason every rider who uses their bike t make a living (Race) runs Ohlins - Feel means the diff between finishing and DNF - I am not comparing our Sofas to race bikes but the Co and the Product stands head and shoulders above the rest.....IMHO

Can't say enough good things about working with @Smarty on this and I regret not a penny spent
It's all good. Best thing about this forum. It's civil.

My front end is upgraded. Progressive Mono tubes. Dropped an inch. I have a tester road. And stock. It's a bone shaker. With the front upgrade. The whole bike handles different. When i hit the tester road after the front end upgrade. I wasnt changing lanes and the rear was more planted. Im sure due to the feont not pogo sticking me from lane to lane. my "marginal upgrade" reference is only the premium shocks. The air shock to the aftermarket shocks is light years I'm sure as the premiums are night and day different.

For me. Coming from 2 factory air shock bikes. The premium shocks are perfect.

My brother in law has 944s on his 08 SE Ultra. Maybe I'll ride that and see.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I just ordered a set of super Shox for my 2016 RGU. I ordered them because of reviews and ease to setup. I like being able to adjust with my hand when my wife wants to go for a ride. I ride this thing like I stole it with crap shocks. I just need to be easier on the back.
I am definitely not saying ohlins are not the best. They rocked on my R1.
But I'm not taking this to the track and I think my choice is great for the application. We will see when I get some miles on them.
Now for the front end I am definitely thinking about the ohlins. Especially on a ABS bike. A good front end can really reduce that emergency stop distance and handling of course.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts