Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to fixing little things on my bike, I like learning how to do but some projects are just too hard. I recently had upper fork sliders that I had painted installed, tonight I was cleaning the front fork and when I got down to the axle bolt cover of the front wheel I was able to unscrew it by hand? I totally unscrewed it and removed the bolt from the chrome axel bolt cover, I put some blue locktite on it and screwed it back on then tightened real good with a wrench, then I installed the chrome cover and tightened it over the bolt, did I do the right thing? what was the tech in a rush? good thing it didn't unscrew while I was riding, could it have? now that I am paranoid I removed the axle bolt cover on the other side and there is no screw just a round cylinder with two holes, is that right? sorry I am new at this but with stuff like this happening that I paid for next time I would rather do it myself and the right way, thanks for all your help:confused:

·
Registered
326 Posts
No, it shouldn't loosen up no matter what! If it's torqued properly you shouldn't need loctite either.

Now check the pinch bolts on the bottom...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help, now dont laugh im new at working on my bike, where are the pinch bolts?:eek:

·
Registered
326 Posts
thanks for the help, now dont laugh im new at working on my bike, where are the pinch bolts?:eek:
No laughing here, we all started somewhere. The pinch bolts are the 2 on the under side of the right fork tube. Under the "round cylinder with two holes". They hold the front axle.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
No laughing here, we all started somewhere. The pinch bolts are the 2 on the under side of the right fork tube. Under the "round cylinder with two holes". They hold the front axle.
these are in/lbs so don't go horsing them or you will snap them off.

·
878 Posts
METIME...there is no such thing as a bad question, or a stupid one or anything else derogatory question here. I can vouch for the willingness of this forum to help. Ask anything anytime! If ya want, my PM is always available!

ScooterDog and jeff...you are class acts my friends!

·
Registered
593 Posts
I think i'd go find that "tech" and let him have it verbally or physically. Have them go over everything they did. Get yourself a manual and start doing things yourself. That way you know it's done right or your the only one to blame.

·
Registered
521 Posts
My manual says the front axle nut torque is 60-65 ft lbs.
Every time, and I mean every time, I take my bike to the dealer they screw something else up. I just had my starter replaced on my 2010 FLTRX because the paint was peeling off. Fixed under Warranty. When I got home I noticed my battery wouldn't charge when hooked up to the charger. For some reason the had disconnected the battery charging connector from the battery. Only time I let them touch my bike is if it's a warranty issue. Staush is right, buy a manual and some torque wrenches. Do it yourself, follow the manual and it will be done right.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for all the help, amazing that these guys are professionals that get paid for a service and really never do it right! Well im all squared away for now but now my grip on the throttle side has a lot of play left to right? have no idea how to fix it, it has always had a little play left to right but now its a lot, anyone know what the fix is?

·
Registered
3,639 Posts
if it's just the chrome covers, if I have that right, the directions say to use
black rtv sealant to hold them on, but only about 50% of the coverage area, applied inside the covers, the pinch bolts hold in place... the rtv does most of the work

essentially, I put mine on and felt the pinch bolts were worthless, did my best nothing has moved in 8k miles.

·
Registered
593 Posts
As far as your throttle goes, you have to loosen the 4 torx screws holding the master cylinder and switch housing, push in and tighten. This will get rid of throttle slop. Get a manual!!

·
Registered
354 Posts
That's exactly why I do all of my own work. Remember, these mechanics are hourly workers and sometimes the coffee break is more important then your bike.

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
My buddy went to MC school down in Daytona back in the day when people were proud of what they do and he said you would not believe some of the goobers that graduated from there . He said it's almost scary. If it was bad then I just wonder about what getting pushed through today.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts