Road Glide banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loose shift lever, where it connects to the tranny. I can slide it back and forth on the shaft. I checked the bolt on the shift lever and it is very tight. What next?

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I'm having mine replaced under warranty today. There could be a chance that the tranny shaft is also worn. Some guys are using an aftermarket one that bolts on with two bolts. . I think it's caller better shifter.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I had that happen on my dyna,it ended up stripping the shaft in the transmission after I went with a harder shift lever.I had used the Jim's lever,but after I replaced the shifter shaft,(last part to come out of the trans) I went with a stock one.

You can try a new lever,but if the splines strip on the shaft in the trans you'll have to replace the shaft as well.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I removed the Allen bolt and replaced it with a 5/16 grade 8 bolt. 1/2 inch head you can crank down on. 47k on it with no problem. I check it every oil change .

·
Registered
613 Posts
This happened to me after 10,000 miles on the 2011 FLTRX I owned at the time. The first time I noticed it was on the way back from a road trip out west and pulling onto the interstate in Tennessee I couldn't shift into 6th gear. Luckly I was close to a rest area and pulled in and put the shift arm back on. When I got home I took it in for service and was told they fixed it. This was in September, In October on my way back from Biketoberfest it happened again, I put it back on at a Love's truck stop and once again took it back to the dealership. They had to pull the inner primary and change out the shaft. After they replaced the shaft I didn't have any more problems and sold the bike with 50,000 miles on it and my cousin who owns it now has put another 20,000 miles on it. They say the problem with the shaft has been corrected at the factory. I have 20,000 miles on my 2013, and have not had any problems.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
www.betterlever.com is the company that sells the aftermarket with 2 bolts. It's a bit steep at $225 though. I'm going to replace the allen bolt with a gr8 hex bolt tonight and hope it gets me through the rest of the season and deal with it in the winter here...

fingers crossed I don't need to replace the shaft...

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
also you might want to try to back out the screw then tighten it up, on my dyna the screw felt tight, but when I backed it out it tightened right up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just replaced one for a friend. The new lever was almost as loose as the old one so pulled it back off and used a vice to compress where the bolt goes through. Tried to put it back on and it was too tight so removed it and gently drove a screwdriver into it to loosen it up just slightly. Perfect fit and now you'd think the lever and transmission shaft were one piece. I'm gonna pull my perfectly good one off and do the same to it.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I took mine off, I found out the screw was cross threaded. It was a bi*ch getting off in the tight space. I replaced the hex bolt with a gr5 bolt from ace and was able to really torq it down. I would HIGHLY recommend swapping out the bolt. Made it much easier to work with! It's solid as a rock again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts