Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2011 103 doesn't have the power it should. Most noticeable at about 80. When I get on it it just bogs. Mileage has Dropped about 5 mpg. I've changed plugs and fuel filter. Fuel pump has correct pressure but he didnt check it at 80 cause I have a car tire.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Any changes to the bike since it developed the problem? Piggyback or aftermarket tuner on it? Coil? Spark plug wires? Bad ground? Air, fuel or spark. It’s either choking or drowning. If your’re losing gas mileage, sounds like running to rich. ECM? Under load only or only at certain RPMs? Checked to see if you’re throwing any codes? How many miles on the clock? Not one of those things you can immediately put a finger on, but more a process of elimination.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any changes to the bike since it developed the problem? Piggyback or aftermarket tuner on it? Coil? Spark plug wires? Bad ground? Air, fuel or spark. It’s either choking or drowning. If your’re losing gas mileage, sounds like running to rich. ECM? Under load only or only at certain RPMs? Checked to see if you’re throwing any codes? How many miles on the clock? Not one of those things you can immediately put a finger on, but more a process of elimination.
nope, put tuner on at 3500 it has 57000 now, well thats when i notice it under load, but i can tell in any gear just worse in 6th guess because of gear ratio. it started doing it about 45000.

·
Registered
521 Posts
May be it is the case to run a compression check to verify cylinders performances, it is not invasive and it is a good engine health marker.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
The dark side could effect mileage. Car tire has a bigger footprint causing more resistance but it shouldn't effect performance. Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
I would run a leakage test, see what kind of shape the top end is in. Use a bore scope to read the piston tops.

Those early 103 ran hot, 11's were really bad. So the rings tend to go away early and the bores are seldom round at tear down.

If it still has a cat on it, it could be stopped up, they don't do well when the rings pass oil. A vacuum gauge will tell the tail on that. If the vacuum falls off with the power, suspect a clogged cat.

Other than that, I would suspect something in the tune, or one of the sensors. Data stored in memory can get buggy. And sensors wear out. You can sit down and test the sensors with a breakout devise, like a twin scan, and with some tuners you can record and read the data to see what was going on when it was acting pissy.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I would run a leakage test, see what kind of shape the top end is in. Use a bore scope to read the piston tops.

Those early 103 ran hot, 11's were really bad. So the rings tend to go away early and the bores are seldom round at tear down.

If it still has a cat on it, it could be stopped up, they don't do well when the rings pass oil. A vacuum gauge will tell the tail on that. If the vacuum falls off with the power, suspect a clogged cat.

Other than that, I would suspect something in the tune, or one of the sensors. Data stored in memory can get buggy. And sensors wear out. You can sit down and test the sensors with a breakout devise, like a twin scan, and with some tuners you can record and read the data to see what was going on when it was acting pissy.
no cat has true duals. I thought maybe it was the tune so I loaded stock tune and took tuner off.
Oh and it don't do it all the time, and I don't notice it unless I accelerate fast,and the Exhaust sounds different

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Check the throttle body/injector body for a broken butterfly pivot rod.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Would injectors cause this?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check the throttle body/injector body for a broken butterfly pivot rod.

Wouldn't that do it all the time?

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
no cat has true duals. I thought maybe it was the tune so I loaded stock tune and took tuner off.
Oh and it don't do it all the time, and I don't notice it unless I accelerate fast,and the Exhaust sounds different

Any chance there is some sort of pattern as to when it acts up?

And does your tuner have the ability to data log?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any chance there is some sort of pattern as to when it acts up?
Most the time when the motor warm but it has done it cold too, once I Put some chevron fuel injector cleaner in (half the bottle) it straightened out, next tank of gas it was doing it so I put in the other half of cleaner in didn't help that time.

And does your tuner have the ability to data log?
Yea but all I know how to do is log

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Wouldn't that do it all the time?
No, the shaft breaks at the slot for the butterfly. It does not break clean. So sometimes the two pieces engage and work fine. Other times it doesn't.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
still working on this

so i took it to a shop, he thought maybe it was the tensioners, new cams and tensioners, has more power but still doing it, for instance at 80 i get on it, it took 10 seconds to get to 100. put new crank position sensor, map and temp sensors. took it back to the shop last i heard he was gonna try another throttle body.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
so i took it to a shop, he thought maybe it was the tensioners, new cams and tensioners, has more power but still doing it, for instance at 80 i get on it, it took 10 seconds to get to 100. put new crank position sensor, map and temp sensors. took it back to the shop last i heard he was gonna try another throttle body.
Help me understand. You took it to "a shop", who didnt do a proper diagnosis, they guessed more than once, got it wrong more than once, you paid for it, and you still have the problem? SMH.

You need a professional to do a proper diagnosis. Stop guessing and throwing money at it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Help me understand. You took it to "a shop", who didnt do a proper diagnosis, they guessed more than once, got it wrong more than once, you paid for it, and you still have the problem? SMH.

You need a professional to do a proper diagnosis. Stop guessing and throwing money at it.
well i added the sensors, after he put the cams in it ran fine, its doing it intermediate. put out 95 hp on the dyno. its not throwing any codes either.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
well i added the sensors, after he put the cams in it ran fine, its doing it intermediate. put out 95 hp on the dyno. its not throwing any codes either.
So you're going to live with it ? What tuner do you have?

·
Registered
6,618 Posts
It's a tough one here! I suggest pulling the tuner and see what happens. If the problem is still there then the problem is somewhere else. With the gear ratio in 6th gear don't expect a lot of power at higher rpm. As the engine rpm's increase the engine timing should advance so maybe the timing isn't adjusting enough, but I'm just guessing like everyone else is.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's a tough one here! I suggest pulling the tuner and see what happens. If the problem is still there then the problem is somewhere else. With the gear ratio in 6th gear don't expect a lot of power at higher rpm. As the engine rpm's increase the engine timing should advance so maybe the timing isn't adjusting enough, but I'm just guessing like everyone else is.
yea the first mechanic i took it to put the stock program in thinking maybe the programmer, after a couple days riding it started doing it again with the programmer disconnected. this guy is suppose to try another throttle body

1 - 20 of 20 Posts