Road Glide banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious, any one read this book? Today's there's a world wide march against Monsanto and I was wondering how many are aware of the impact of GMO wheat... I stopped eating it as part of my NY resolution and starting hitting the gym, lost 30 lbs and I have my 6 pack back. This book is a real eye opener if you agree with his findings... Shocked me and I've never felt better in my life and i'll be 50 this year. I highly recommend reading it, especially if you know anyone with intestinal issues.

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
have not read the book but just saw a dr. on Dr. OZ tv yesterday proclaiming today's engineered wheat is BAD for you and addictive

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly, shocked the hell out of me... its really a must read for anyone with a family history of celiac, chrones and many other illnesses... not to mention just slimming down.

·
Super Moderator
9,692 Posts
I guess you are speaking of genetically modified ??

Secret to lose weight :

drink water only , no soda or sweet tea or alcohol

cut back on breads

and in Herman Cain's words :

Want to lose weight ?

eat less

It works , I know :D

JtB

·
Registered
363 Posts
I've got the book, and read most of it. Very interesting read. I'm not overweight by any means but a friend recommended this book and a few others cuz I'm concerned about my cholesterol and over all health.

If any one is interested, "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes is an excellent book. Changed my whole view of food, exercise and health in general.

Also, "The Great Cholesterol Con" by Malcom Kendrick is a good book. Very technical and in depth view of cholesterol's role in our health, it's not as important as we've been lead to believe!

Check them out, a must-read for anyone, not just those trying to lose weight.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
And when you're done with that, look into what's in the meat you buy from the store. Not just processed stuff like lunch meat and hot dogs, just regular old hamburger, steaks, roasts etc. The hormones etc used in growing beef and pork are scary. We try to eat red meat only 1 or 2 times a week, and only that meat that we buy direct from a local private producer that uses no drugs or hormones in his operation.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Read Wheat Belly about 2 months ago. Without even being super strict, I basically just quit eating bread, except for an occasional pizza, and dropped 15 pounds. I feel tons better when I follow the cave man style diet. Basically eat mostly meat and veggies, and as few carbs as I can.

Jeff

·
Registered
520 Posts
And when you're done with that, look into what's in the meat you buy from the store. Not just processed stuff like lunch meat and hot dogs, just regular old hamburger, steaks, roasts etc. The hormones etc used in growing beef and pork are scary. We try to eat red meat only 1 or 2 times a week, and only that meat that we buy direct from a local private producer that uses no drugs or hormones in his operation.
I saw a piece on 60 minutes (or one of those type shows) that showed 'glued meat'. it is some process where they can take most any meat parts put them in a pile add this 'glue' hormone and it 'coagulates' the meat into lean, beautiful looking, meat. not, according to the presenter, not done in the US but some meat coming from south of the border. heres a thread with some videos about it... http://www.msgmyth.com/discus/messages/37/2284.html?1303900890

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I've lost 62# so far by giving up white stuff: potatoes, rice, bread. I eat whole wheat pasta, bread and brown rice. Easy on the meat too. Lotsa veggies. I changed after being diagnosed with diabetes. Also, no alcohol and virtually no sugar or high fructose corn syrup. I don't weigh myself between doctor visits and eat as much as I want

·
Life Member With a Grey Beard
2,122 Posts
I've lost 62# so far by giving up white stuff: potatoes, rice, bread. I eat whole wheat pasta, bread and brown rice. Easy on the meat too. Lotsa veggies. I changed after being diagnosed with diabetes. Also, no alcohol and virtually no sugar or high fructose corn syrup. I don't weigh myself between doctor visits and eat as much as I want

You had me nodding in agreement until the "no alcohol" part.

=)

·
Registered
340 Posts
I try to stay away from anything with more than 3 or 4 ingredients and I have to be able to pronounce them.
Generally no white sugar or white flour or white rice. No cow.
Feel great and my labs are always right on.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
The beer went first for reasons unrelated to weight loss. It was the diabetes diagnosis that got me off "white stuff" The weight loss was gradual.
This winter I was lugging a bucket of joint compound thru the snow & it was killing this old man. When I got inside I looked at the weight. 60#. Musta had a real hard time walking with that amount of extra weight permanently hanging off me.

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
We discovered that my wife has a sensitivity to wheat after a few months of test and all. She's really watching what she's been eating and is feeling much better and no more migraines. She also dropped about 15 lbs in two months. Yeah, I can see where it's related.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I agree it's all related, my mother has IPF and she was the one who gave me the strong recommendation for the book, her results have been amazing by not eating the wheat... such an easy thing to stop eating when you set your mind to it.

As far as not drinking, that's a deal breaker for me, I still enjoy a little wine with meals and vodka or tequila when I'm out having fun...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts