Road Glide banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a rockford fosgate 300 watt 4 channel amp running to 4 rockford fosgate speakers (2 front, 2 rear) 6.5 inch in front. Once in a while when running at highway speeds it loses sound for a few seconds. Is the amp overheating? Also should the amp be set to at optimal performance with the automatic sound control of the HK headunit disabled or at level 0? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks

Thats what I thought but the technician that put it in ( a certified harley mechanic said otherwise) said you should use it. I know on the yaffee system they say to have it set to off. With that being setup incorrectly would that cause the problem I am experiencing?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So will I need to change the settings on the amp after I disable the AVC? I am assuming so.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
Thats exactly what my PBR 300 x 2 was doing. It woud do it at higher volumes when moving , more so when playing cd or mp3 than just fm.
My amp was only 7 months old when it started doing it. I fixed it by replacing it with a SS Nano. :D

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
So will I need to change the settings on the amp after I disable the AVC? I am assuming so.
Avc on, Avc off , it still will do it.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
emt-p ,,,,,,

where have you connected the main power & ground connections on the bike for the amplifier ?
John, mine were connected directly to the battery via 10 Ga. Wire.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John, same here!!! 10 ga wire to battery The guy that set mine up claimed to be a pro at it, owns his own shop. I will not go back there! He set the gains with the AVC set on level 3, so guessing i need to take off the outer, and reset the amp with the AVC off. Hoping that helps some.

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
John, same here!!! 10 ga wire to battery The guy that set mine up claimed to be a pro at it, owns his own shop. I will not go back there! He set the gains with the AVC set on level 3, so guessing i need to take off the outer, and reset the amp with the AVC off. Hoping that helps some.
Emt-p, I'm by way no expert. I set my 300x2 up with the AVC off , then turned it back on After setting gain at about 4.5. It worked great for about 7 months then started doing what your describing.
Please keep us up dated on your progress.

·
JMJOHN
1,039 Posts
big Gary ,,,,,,,

sometimes the battery ground is not the best, depending upon the particular bike and how many other wires are running around ,,,,,

can you move it to a frame bolt on the frame FORWARD of the battery ? ,,,, you do not want to ground it to the back half of the split frame of course ,,,,

·
Registered
9,331 Posts
big Gary ,,,,,,,

sometimes the battery ground is not the best, depending upon the particular bike and how many other wires are running around ,,,,,

can you move it to a frame bolt on the frame FORWARD of the battery ? ,,,, you do not want to ground it to the back half of the split frame of course ,,,,
I changed the amp and did not touch the ground and the problem went away.

RF told me to have the amp tested locally on my dime before sending it back under warranty. :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts