Road Glide banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 RG custom. I am slowly losing juice when the bike is off. If it is not on a tender the battery will be to low to start the bike in a couple days. I have used a light and disconnected the battery, and pulled each fuse and relay one at a time, and light stayed on the entire time. My question is what else could be drawing juice? When we were up at sturgis last year I noticed a funny smell after I started it once, and it seemed to come from up around the power switch. Could it short there, or could a messed up voltage regulator do this?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Is the battery sitting directly on metal in the battery box? I think that might be almost equivelant to setting the battery on the floor.
Is the battery clean? Grease will provide a conduit for voltage leak to the battery box and bike frame.
How old is the battery? Getting near 48 months is an old battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Battery is one year old, terminals etc are clean, disconnnected cables from the battery and voltage went up to over 13 within an hour.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,435 Posts
Basically, a late Harley has draw all the time, keeping the electronics partially powered. But everything is fused except the starter.

To draw a good battery flat in a few days is a large draw. I would suggest a inductive amp meter in place of the light bulb, then repeat your tests. Get a base line for the draw, and then start pulling fuses.

There are a couple of systems that need to be isolated, so as to rule them out. Remove the battery cable from the solenoid to isolate the starter. Then unplug the regulator from the battery to isolate the charging system.

You may find that there is not a large draw after you turn the scooter off, only to come back 8 hours later and find that there is now a draw. Regulator or Radio would be the suspects there.

Before you make all the effort of chasing a draw, test that battery. Charge it fully and then load test it per the manufactures specs. Then pull it down at least 25% and charge test it. You stated that it went over 13 volts sitting. That tells me it might fail the charge test, or you need a better meter. It should not stay above 12.6-12.7 after just sitting for a few hours, disconnected.
 
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top