Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just had the 1K service done on my 2011 RGU last week.

My indy used Amsoil in all 3 holes (not that it matters for the core of the story).

He also had these 'new and improved' spark plugs. I can't recall the name of them at this point, but the principles of splitfires and Iridiums come to mind. Supposedly would give better fuel economy and HP with a simple plug swap out.

Also as I've read other doing, I had my stock cross pipe removed, sent over to a local exhaust shop, where they gutted the cat and re-welded it for reinstall.

After I picked up my bike I took it for a spin and didn't notice anything different at first. But when I got out on the freeway and set the cruise, I noticed that the bike seemed to be 'seeking' an RPM/throttle setting to maintain speed. The constant acceleration and deceleration of the seeking felt almost like there was a large headwind buffeting the bike. But the problem remained - and is even there, though to a lesser degree, when I turn off cruise and maintain speed the old fashioned way.

The other problem is this - I was getting about 240 miles to the tank when the bike came off the showroom floor. I just went out for a ride, I have half a tank and i've only about 70 miles on the trip odo. WTF!?

So NOW here comes the hard part. If I weren't such a dope, I'd not have done both the plug swap AND the cat gut at the same time - that way it'd be easier to pinpoint the culprit(s) contributing to my lack of fuel efficiency.

I've done some research on here and I have reached a few conclusions -

1. Removing the Cat is making my O2 sensors crosstalk and hence leading to an accurate fuel/air mix in my cylinders making the bike seek an RPM setting and hence creating a significant reduction in my fuel economy.

2. The newfangled sparkplugs are at fault.

3. My cruise is falling prey to the number of issues I've seen other folks on here have.

4. Some gremlin is syphoning gas out of my tank and it's all in my head.

The first step I'm going to take is to ask my Indy if he threw my old plugs out - if he did, I'll go to HD and pick up some new ones to replace the newfangled ones. If not, I'll have him R&R and try another test drive.

I'd like to hear some opinions of you folks on here (save for what you have to say about option number 4 and my belief in gremlins).

Thank you very much,
Tim

·
Registered
425 Posts
A tuner would help...Mobil1 synthetic is the way to go. Open the air breather, and HD plugs are over priced get some NGK's at your local automotive shop, thats all I've ever ran and have great luckwith them, at $2 a plug... I hope you get all your issues worked out.

·
878 Posts
I would look at the catless head pipe as the culprit. Plug change should not have halved your mileage in my opinion.

Do you have a tuner on your bike? Was the better "breathing" addressed when the cat was removed?

My experience is that exhaust changes and intake changes almost always require some ECM tuning.

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
I had a friend that tried new plugs and had similar problems. Try putting the old plugs back in. OEM's are really good plugs from what I understand. Also, did you have the bike retuned after the mods?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a TTS Tuner for my previous bike - Just bought it about a month before I totaled it (2006 Ultra Classic).

I haven't yet tried plugging in the TTS for the new bike yet because I think I recall it said it was for 1 bike only - maybe they mean 1 bike at a time... I don't know.

I will definitely try running the TTS in autotune to see if it helps my issues.

My buddy had put in some fancy spark plugs into his ride and it started running like CRAP. Took it to the local dealer and they took out those new plugs and put in old fashioned HD ones, and it totally fixed the problem....

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I didn't re-tune. I was under the impression that a simple removal of the cat wouldn't require a retune - especially since the stock intake and exhaust is still on.

I'll give the retune a try, hopefully the TTS will accept my new bike.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Removing the cat is your problem, you took almost all your back pressure away. Also the O2 sensors on Harley's are vary narrow band, meaning they can not make big adj. I pulled my cats off, had to make a ton of adj. to make run and I never have gotten my mileage back.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Removing the cat is your problem, you took almost all your back pressure away. Also the O2 sensors on Harley's are vary narrow band, meaning they can not make big adj. I pulled my cats off, had to make a ton of adj. to make run and I never have gotten my mileage back.
That blows - seems counterintuitive too. I always heard cats were a restrictor and therefore a hinderance to mileage and performance. I don't mind losing a mile or two a gallon, but literally cutting my mileage in half blows.

What did you try to adjust? Did you use a tuner? I'm going to try either the TTS tuner or the TV-3 from Terry.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Agree 100% with scsharp2260! Removing cats has changed the air-fuel mixture needed, and O2 sensors are trying to adjust. Get a tuner.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
I'd put back the factory plugs & then see what happens. I can't see where just removing the "cat" would cause all those problems,but I'm not a meck-a-nick. The oil is not the problem. Please let us know what you find out. Good Luck

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah. Check this out -

They were THAT fouled after a little over 100 miles. WTF. I just put the factory plugs back in and I'll bet 10 to 1 that my issues are solved with that one simple little swap.

I do plan on tuning but removing a cat shouldn't cut my mileage in half - but plugs fouled as bad as that probably would. They REEKED of gas.

FYI, don't bother trying the NGK Iridiums...

Taking it out now for a quick spin to test the theory. Keep your fingers crossed.

FYI, the picture doesn't seem to be coming up so I've attached the link - http://flic.kr/p/9BgWut

-Tim

·
Registered
8,827 Posts
Bad plugs cause alot of problems.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd put back the factory plugs & then see what happens. I can't see where just removing the "cat" would cause all those problems,but I'm not a meck-a-nick. The oil is not the problem. Please let us know what you find out. Good Luck
Stock plugs back in, same problems. I'm pretty sure it's the cat at this point. I'm going to order a tuner now I guess. HOPEFULLY that will fix the issue, but I don't even know if it will. There's only so much a tuner can do.

W

·
0 Posts
I tried the splitfire plugs in my RK years ago and my bike ran like crap. Talked to my Indy and he said don't use them. For the last 35K I've been using an Autolite Plug that was recommended by several Indie's. I'm sure there are issues with the non-cat head pipe, but don't be surprised if it's still not up to par after the re-tune. JMHO

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Took it to Harley - the guy that did my exhaust put the O2's in backwards - i.e. the black one up front, the white in back.

Took it to my exhaust guy and he fixed it - RUNS LIKE A CHAMP!!! I'm so F'n relieved, I can't even tell you, haha.

No more surging, no more over-rich running. The bike threw 8 codes - most were O2 related. So far as I can tell, I'm not getting any negative effects from cross talk, but I'll keep you all apprised.

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Holy smokes, me too - I could hardly sleep thinking I ruined my new baby... Thank you all again for the insight.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Took it to Harley - the guy that did my exhaust put the O2's in backwards - i.e. the black one up front, the white in back.

Took it to my exhaust guy and he fixed it - RUNS LIKE A CHAMP!!! I'm so F'n relieved, I can't even tell you, haha.

No more surging, no more over-rich running. The bike threw 8 codes - most were O2 related. So far as I can tell, I'm not getting any negative effects from cross talk, but I'll keep you all apprised.

Thank you all for your help.
Goes to show ya that the indy may not be the best place to take your bike!! The indy is in business to make money and they will tell you anything to sell you something or to work on your bike, talking down HD techs and products all the way to the cash register. If you shop around and take a close look you will pay more for extras for your bike at a indy or a aftermarket source such as J&P, Dennis Kirk then you would at the HD dealer. I found that J&P is around 20-30% higher in price than the HD Dealer. Granted there are some things that you like that HD doesn't offer but most HD dealers are Drag Specialties dealers too and most dealers offer a 10-15% discount on upgrades and aftermarket parts if you buy your bike at their dealership and the bike is still under warranty. As far as a indy working on my bike " NO WAY" if I can't do it myself I will take it to a HD dealer and let their tech work on my bike, at least I know that the HD tech went to HD endorsed school and is informed on the latest changes that HD did.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts