Road Glide banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there, was recently in vegas, dont know how hot for sure but it was warm. While trying to get through that traffic my oil pressure went way down. Not completely gone but less than half of normal. Had no way to park it so when taking off I could hear noise like if you put nails in a blender but very light not super noisy and under load. Can anyone tell me what I just fucked up or at least what to look for. Appreciate any help

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
I don't want to scare you, but it sounds just like the problem I'm having. I like your description of the noise because that is what mine sounds like too. I've been looking for the culprit all winter and I have been thru the upper part of the motor, transmission, and wheel bearings to no avail.

The only thing I have not been into is the crankshaft and I have a feeling that is where my problem might be. I just noticed my low oil pressure last weekend. I can say the noise has gotten louder with time.

·
Gray Beard
1,522 Posts
Hey fellas ... Livin in the Nevada desert all my life ... Got 6500 miles on my 13' fltrx now and I know the sick feeling you get when it gets hot but don't panic just yet ... My 103 drops to about -15 oil pressure at the stop light and start to ting and tang ... Boss at work has been riding hd's for 30 years and said "yep that's just the way it is just don't pound the throttle when they get that hot ..." After I roll through the intersection the oil comes back up to 32+

Just my experience so far ... We'll see

·
Registered
483 Posts
excessive heat and lean could cause pinging , could have been bad gas and unusual heat caused it .

Eagle

·
Registered
6,082 Posts
Hey fellas ... Livin in the Nevada desert all my life ... Got 6500 miles on my 13' fltrx now and I know the sick feeling you get when it gets hot but don't panic just yet ... My 103 drops to about -15 oil pressure at the stop light and start to ting and tang ... Boss at work has been riding hd's for 30 years and said "yep that's just the way it is just don't pound the throttle when they get that hot ..." After I roll through the intersection the oil comes back up to 32+

I hope for mrmoto95's sake you are correct. My oil pressure was only 1 to 2lbs at a stop and 16 to 17lbs while rolling 70mph. Just got off the phone with Frank and after looking at my pictures I posted he is fairly certain I have a crank problem. Cha Ching!

·
Gray Beard
1,522 Posts
Ah yes that's not good .... My buddies 00 RG had the crank out .006" and gear driven cams .... The run out ate the fueling cam plate the oil pump and left a couple of grams of metal in the filter, not a good day

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it seems all is not lost. Got the nads up to fire up the beast for the first time since the incident. Hoping like hell eagle was right and it seems he was. Due to the excessive heat and lack of air flow seems my oil basically turned to water and the noise had to be detonation. I thought it sounded lower in the case but i was wrong. Now is there an easy way to scope the cylinder and check my pistons for damage due to the severe detonation? Or is head removal the only option? Secondly, what other oil do people use cause thats the last time I use harley oil. Thanks for all replies and any new ones.

·
Gray Beard
1,522 Posts
Yep get to Home Depot or you local craftsman store ... Get fiber optic camera or maybe a friend has one ... Take out your spark plugs and stick the camera in there and have a look :) you can then remove the derby cover and with a socket on the clutch crank each cylinder to b.d.c. And inspect cylinder wall as well ..

What weight is the oil your using ?
10-40 or 20-50 ?

·
Registered
24 Posts

what you might be hearing is the Engine Temp Management function. when the engine gets hot and at idle it shuts down the rear cylinder. it makes a racket. I have a 2013 FLTRU and the first time I was in stop and go traffic I thought the motor was coming apart. there is a way to shut it off, it is listed in the owners manual.

·
Gray Beard
1,522 Posts
Yep that's just what it was !!! It's get'n into the 100+ mark here in so nev. and it's going into air pump mode more often :D no worries kinduva cool feature really ...

·
Registered
106 Posts
what you might be hearing is the Engine Temp Management function. when the engine gets hot and at idle it shuts down the rear cylinder. it makes a racket. I have a 2013 FLTRU and the first time I was in stop and go traffic I thought the motor was coming apart. there is a way to shut it off, it is listed in the owners manual.
I agree it's probably this. I got stuck in a Chicago traffic jam (on a Saturday!!!) last June in 90+ heat. I was scared to death my scoot was gonna croak 300 miles from home. Turned out to be a whole lotta fuss about nuthin'.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep get to Home Depot or you local craftsman store ... Get fiber optic camera or maybe a friend has one ... Take out your spark plugs and stick the camera in there and have a look :) you can then remove the derby cover and with a socket on the clutch crank each cylinder to b.d.c. And inspect cylinder wall as well ..

What weight is the oil your using ?
10-40 or 20-50 ?
I was using 10-40 at dealer recommendation.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Well, it seems all is not lost. Got the nads up to fire up the beast for the first time since the incident. Hoping like hell eagle was right and it seems he was. Due to the excessive heat and lack of air flow seems my oil basically turned to water and the noise had to be detonation. I thought it sounded lower in the case but i was wrong. Now is there an easy way to scope the cylinder and check my pistons for damage due to the severe detonation? Or is head removal the only option? Secondly, what other oil do people use cause thats the last time I use harley oil. Thanks for all replies and any new ones.
Why no more Harley oil? There are different grades of oil that can be used in your bike. Try a straight 50 or 60 weight. If you really want to solve your oil pressure issues, install a Baisley LMR oil pressure spring and your woes will go away. I run the Baisley spring and I will recommend it to anyone who is willing to listen. Before ylu spend a shit load of money, try the simple stuff first. JMHO.

I just saw your last post. What the hell is that dealer thinking??? Don't bring the bike back there ever again...

·
Administrator
12,485 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts