Road Glide banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! New (to me) Road Glide and first Harley. Is losing bolts something I need to get used to?

Pulled into the coffee shop and noticed the bolt holding the left front mounting bracket for the left bag, also the one securing the seat strap was G-O-N-E, gone.

On the same side about a week ago, the quick release on the back of that bag had vibrated loose. At least I assume from vibration.

Any thoughts? Also anyone know what bolt is used to mount said bracket and maybe some tips to prevent this on other bolts?

Thanks!!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Sounds like you need to go over the entire bike to check for loose retainers. If you find one that is loose or getting ready to get loose remove it and put blue loctite on the threads and reinstall it. This applies to all motorcycles, not just HD. You haven't stumbled into a bad case of Nirvana. :D

Remove the bolt from the other side and use it as a base to find one at the Ace hardware. They have them in chrome and stainless steel.

Welcome from Daytona Beach.

·
Registered
809 Posts
while you are getting the bolt, pick yourself up a supply of Loctite, it is your best friend lol. I use blue for most everything, and also have a stick of thread sealer for the real small bolts and screws.

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
1,775 Posts
Blue loctite is the one to get. The RED loctite is for more permanent installs.:D

·
GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN
3,813 Posts
Yes, blue & it doesn't take much. You might need to replace your quick fasteners & pins. Or, check out Brukus.

·
Registered
8,826 Posts
Use Loc tite on all bolts that can come off when you don't want them to. I never had a bag fatener come loose on any bagger I've owned. You might not have had it locked in.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Sounds to me like someone was in the process of helping themselves to your bike parts. I think I might start looking for the locking latch for the tourpack and hit up Brutkus for his security set ups for the bags and seat.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
There is three colors usually used.
They are as follows.
Blue - used when bolts are needed to be secured, but may be removed at a later date. Bolt is secure, but can still be easily removed with quality tools.
Red - used when the bolt is subject to heavy vibration, or are permanent but may need to be removed later. Bolt is secure, but very difficult to remove. May require heat or other physical assistance for removal.
Green - Bolt is to installed and not to ever be removed. Once cured, bolt is basically permanent. The bolt may be required to be drilled out to remove it.

I keep all three, but use the "Blue" for most applications.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The twist spring clips are notorious for coming loose. Many a rider has had they bags go bouncing down the street after the clips let go. Additionally, thieves have learned that they are very easily defeated with a screwdriver or pry bar and your bags are gone in less than 30 seconds. As others have said, buy a set of Saddle bag Theft deterrent bolts from Brukus or other vendors. They will hold them securely to your bike and make it almost impossible for the thieves to take without destroying the bags.

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah them saddle back pins are junk. I checked amazon for Anti theft saddle bag bolts and boom, basically the same from the link posted above. Best investment ever made for the bike.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Your not alone.

Lost one last year and I made sure to blue loctite the new bolt. While I was at it I removed the seat strap so I could switch it out faster. Only other time I lost a bolt on a harley was my old 2006 RG but it was an acorn bolt off the front turn signal.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts