Road Glide banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2018 RoadGlide
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was changing tracks on a CD yesterday and as soon as I did, I lost all sound, radio, weather, AUX, CD, everything. Pulled the fairing off and found that my fuse was blown in the Soundstream amp I installed two years ago. Put in a new fuse and it blew immediately.

I was wondering:

A) Should there be power to the amp even if the bike switch is off?

B) Am I looking at a ground issue?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Your amp shouldn't have power when the bike is off if you have it to keyed power. It would also be a power issue not ground if your keep blow in the fuse. A power source is grounding out to blow the fuse. Or you have a connection problem somewhere

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
I had the same issue when the headlight lead hot was grounding out on the frame. As soon as that hot wire bare spot touched anything metal it was as instant blown accessory fuse. My amp is not wired to the auxiliary plug like most, it is powered by the headlights. Not common. Yours may be the same though. Regardless, it definitely sounds like a hot wire is grounding out. I hate crap like that.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Yeah.

What power source turns the amp on? It should not have blown the fuse with the ignition off as it should have no power. If it is wired to something that keeps it powered all the time I would change that. Most wire to the cigarette lighter.

·
Registered
9,670 Posts
Check your amp power wire and the remote turn on wire to make sure they aren't shorted out anywhere. And yes most use the cig lighter for the remote turn on wire because it is the easiest too.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
If the hot or remote wires are rubbing on anything that is always powered, that could give you an instant blow and erratic power to amp. I agree with rla, follow those wires back from the amp.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
I was changing tracks on a CD yesterday and as soon as I did, I lost all sound, radio, weather, AUX, CD, everything. Pulled the fairing off and found that my fuse was blown in the Soundstream amp I installed two years ago. Put in a new fuse and it blew immediately.

I was wondering:

A) Should there be power to the amp even if the bike switch is off?

B) Am I looking at a ground issue?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Wade
The fuse on your amp should be on the wire coming directly from the battery. Power all the time regardless of the ignition. Look for a nick in that wire. The remote should not cause the in line amp fuse to blow. It would cause the bike's accessory fuse to blow.

·
Registered
2018 RoadGlide
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Still no luck at this point fixing the sound, but here's what I found/did.

1) Pulled both lead/ground wires to the front of the fairing and inspected, no bare wires, cut and re-soldered all connections.

2) Ground wire was going from AMP directly to negative on battery.

3) Power was going directly to positive on battery with an inline fuse.

My guess is that the amp has been powered constantly for two years now and has just worn out. That being said, there is also a REM wire which I honestly didn't recall what it was until reading some of the replies here, so I'll check that remote wire and make sure it's fine too.

I did hook the power into the cig lighter and as soon as I turned the the switch on, the ACC fuse on the bike blew.

I'm still so confused.

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Still no luck at this point fixing the sound, but here's what I found/did.

1) Pulled both lead/ground wires to the front of the fairing and inspected, no bare wires, cut and re-soldered all connections.

2) Ground wire was going from AMP directly to negative on battery.

3) Power was going directly to positive on battery with an inline fuse.

My guess is that the amp has been powered constantly for two years now and has just worn out. That being said, there is also a REM wire which I honestly didn't recall what it was until reading some of the replies here, so I'll check that remote wire and make sure it's fine too.

I did hook the power into the cig lighter and as soon as I turned the the switch on, the ACC fuse on the bike blew.

I'm still so confused.
The amp is supposed to have a constant 12v power. The remote turns on / off the amp. Thats why the remote wire must be hooked up to a switched power such as the cigarette lighter.
The cigarette lighter my be your problem , if thats where your remote wire is hooked into.
Try temporary hooking up your remote wire directly to the battery and see what happens. If it plays , the cigarette lighter is grounding out.
Do you use the cig lighter much to smoke up ? Ashes can cause the lighter to ground out and pop fuses.

·
Registered
2018 RoadGlide
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've never lit anything with the cig lighter. I looked at the remote wire and I did have it hooked up to the lighter. I'll bypass it and go right to the battery to see what happens. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,388 Posts

·
Registered
2018 RoadGlide
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Fuse blew again. Gonna take it to an audio so tomorrow to have it tested, it's a picasso nano and pony $100 so I may just end up with a new one. Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
10,388 Posts
Fuse blew again. Gonna take it to an audio so tomorrow to have it tested, it's a picasso nano and pony $100 so I may just end up with a new one. Thanks for all the help
Same amp I got 520 .4 D

·
Registered
2018 RoadGlide
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The reason I asked is that with high level input, you shouldn't need to hook up a remote wire to the amp. The signal from the high level input should turn your amp on.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Any possible harm to hooking up the REM? I ordered a new amp today, just glad it didn't go on the way to rally.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.