Road Glide banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not sure on the amp yet as far as manufacturer. The component speakers I have now are 6.5 2ohm speakers. Like I said before I just don't get how to wire them up without RCA cables.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yeah, you are lost. The amp goes between the headunit and speakers and according to your diagram, it's not. With the numbers I see, you have a 2 ohm and 4 ohm speaker in parallel which will give you a 3 ohm load, so a 2 ohm amp should work depending on the watts of the speakers and the output power of the amp you have.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I am not sure on the amp yet as far as manufacturer. The component speakers I have now are 6.5 2ohm speakers. Like I said before I just don't get how to wire them up without RCA cables.
Run line level inputs; the speaker wires from the head unit go directly to the line level inputs on the amp (most amps have these but some don't so make that part of your shopping criteria). From there the speaker outputs of the amp go to your speakers.

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
I think once you get it apart it'll be more clear, your drawing is way off. Most amps have high level and low level (rca) inputs, you'll simply use the high level inputs. The wires that go to your speakers now will go to the input of the amp, the output of the amp will then be wired to the speakers. Once you decide what you are going to get, there are plenty of write ups, and plenty forum members ready to help.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks and all speakers will be ran in the fairing. So just to run through to make sure I have it. Im going to take the left and right speaker wires coming out of the head unit and tie those into the High Level inputs on my amp. I will then hook up the speakers to the speaker line out put on the amp. Now if I am going to do 4 in the fairing and currently running 2ohm component speakers will 4ohm speakers hurt as long as the amp is 2ohm stable. The amp im looking at is the soundstream picasso 2channel amp?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Administrator
12,452 Posts
For almost the same money you can get the Sound Stream 4 channel amp, but that's your decision. Yes, if you use 4ohm speakers and wire them in parallel you'll be fine. I would suggest getting the same brand and model speakers to try and keep the sound uniform.

Sent from my SPH-L710

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im sure this has been covered before, but if I get the 4ch amp can I only use 2ch until I am ready to put the other set of speakers on. Also when I am ready to do the speakers in the inner fairing since I am currently going to be running 2 ohm component speakers I would need to go with another set of 2 ohm speakers for the inner? If I go with 4 ohm I would then need to change the component speakers I will already have..... is this correct?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I think once you get it apart it'll be more clear, your drawing is way off. Most amps have high level and low level (rca) inputs, you'll simply use the high level inputs. The wires that go to your speakers now will go to the input of the amp, the output of the amp will then be wired to the speakers. Once you decide what you are going to get, there are plenty of write ups, and plenty forum members ready to help.

Sent from my SPH-L710
I can't say enough how true that is. I was SO CONFUSED until I tore off the faring and looked around.

Also do I run the remote wire on the amp or does the high level inputs remove the need for the remote wire?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I'm *pretty sure* the amp will still need the remote wire. Run one from the cigarette lighter wire or there's an "orange accessory" power line in the faring you can use.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts