Road Glide banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok been running the Hawg Wired six pack for a few months now and all was well. Was thinking of upgrading to Hertz or Focal but haven't gotten around to it yet because I've been spending money and time on new bars and getting several parts powder coated. Just got everything finished and back together and running. Made a 300 mile round trip today and somewhere along the way I lost all the mid and bass. Sounds like the only part of the speakers playing is the tweeters. Does anyone have any ideas what I should check first? I hate to have to pull the fairing again but I guess I don't have any choice. Any help will be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
Sounds like the wires connecting your crossovers came loose, or something similar, but you'll definitely have to pull the fairing to check, I don't see any way around it. Shouldn't be a big deal.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like the wires connecting your crossovers came loose, or something similar, but you'll definitely have to pull the fairing to check, I don't see any way around it. Shouldn't be a big deal.
Thanks, I could have disturbed them when moving wiring harness for bars around. Since I just spent the last 2 1/2 days working on it, just the thought of having to take that fairing back off again is depressing to say the least. LOL

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
Thanks, I could have disturbed them when moving wiring harness for bars around. Since I just spent the last 2 1/2 days working on it, just the thought of having to take that fairing back off again is depressing to say the least. LOL
Taking the fairing off is the easy part, putting it back on is the bitch. :D

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
If you don't have Daymakers, putting the fairing back on is easy enough. Just remove your headlights. Putting the fairing on the hooks is a 30sec job without the headlights and they are easy to install with the fairing on the bike! Try it, it'll save you an hour of trial and error!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've got Daymakers. No short cuts for me. I know I can do it, it's just that I just finished working on it with all the different things I just did to it. I was hoping to be able to just ride it for a while without working on it.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I have the daymakers and I still pull them just like the stock lights when I'm taking the fairing off. Just courious if that's something I'm not supposed to do

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got around to pulling the fairing and checking my wiring. All the speaker wires are still connected good to the speakers and the crossover wires are all connected good also. Don't know what else to check. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
Best thing to do is start at the radio, go to the amp and then speakers, make sure everything is connected and secure. If you still have the same problem, try running a pair of wires directly from the stereo to one of the speakers, bypassing the amp..... be sure to disconnect the speaker wire from the amp first.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ran wire directly from radio to speakers. Didn't have much volume and had some static, but still only played thru tweeters. We are quickly approaching my technical expertise on stereos.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok, here's what I found. Don't know what could have caused this. This was the Hawg Wired six pack system that is basically plug and play. Didn't add to or change anything in the system.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
That would definitely be the problem. Are both speakers like that, how old is the system, did you buy it new?

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As far as I can see it's just the one like that unless the other is where I can't see it while it's mounted. Ordered new from Frank end of Nov. I'll check with him tomorrow to see if I deal with him or directly with Hawg Wired. Supposed to have a 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh how true that is!!!!
Yeah, that's already been established.:D As close as you are you could come by and help put it back on. LOL I'll find out today what I need to do to hopefully get it warrantied.

·
Super Moderator
12,336 Posts
Definitely should be warranty, let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Talked to Frank this morning and then Rich at Hawg Wired this afternoon.He had me go over a few things on the bike while on the phone like the settings on the amp and also on the Harmon Kardon HU. It appears without realizing it I had the automatic volume control on the HU turned up all the way. The way he explained it to me was that I overdrove the speakers because of the auto control on the HU being turned up too high. This was making the HU send distortion to the amp which amplified it to the crossovers and speakers. So technically I screwed up (I'm smart that way), but he said he wanted me to be happy so he's sending out a new pair of speakers and crossovers to replace these and an RMA to return the old ones with after the new ones arrive. Also told me if I gave him a call when I put the new ones in he would help me set up the gain and any other settings over the phone to help me get it set up better. Pretty good service if you ask me.:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts